When do you give up on the playoffs?

Chester40

I gave up after Cardiff and said so on here... although like a lot of things I say on here it didn't go down too well lol

Mind you, I see Fulham have sneaked into the top 6 today...and we play 'em next week........if we were to beat them?!

Maybe, just maybe...

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Ken Tram said:

And then we'd have to win/draw three more.:)

... but we have had a ten game unbeaten run this season. We just need to make it 12 this time including the previous two games.

And ... if we were heading for the playoffs, surely Martin would derail Fulham!!!

1 hour ago, Chester40 said:

Part of me is thinking it's crazy to even consider it...

Then a still fairly rational other part thinks..Well we (have to) beat Fulham (they need the points so will be an open game) and Sheff W (struggling at moment ).

We only need them to slip up once more (which will doubtless happen) and it will go to the last day when anything can happen. So we just need to play to our potential and its not totally unfeasible...

Till we go behind in first 10mins to Fulham!! Then it looks again like a crazy (crack) pipe dream.

Fulham and Sheff wed have to play each other in the last game of the season.

In football it's the hope that kills you. The playoff teams have cruelly dropped points as our own form went south, so it looks as though there's the slimmest of slim chances. But there really isn't. The football gods are toying with us, teasing us, because that's what they do. Never in our long history have we won 8 games in a row which is the minimum we would need to do, not including the teams above us dropping points.

The Brighton game ended it mathematically as it meant to have a decent chance we would have to win our 9 remaining games instead of any 9 out of 10 which was still a crazy demand, but not impossible.

Only one point off Norwich and two off Preston. Sheff Wednesday in poor form. Looks like Fulham are going to be the real competition but if we beat them then I won't give up as they have some tough fixtures with only playing one bottom half team  (Ipswich) in the last 7 games of the season 

We can beat any team in this division. Whether we will is another matter. It can be achieved until it mathematically can't. Win on Tuesday and at least it keeps the season alive and interesting. I just want to see us give it a go to end the season with a positive run

Not beating Preston and Forest killed it for us. We were never likely to make it as a loss of form was inevitable, but Im surprised by Sheff Wed's sudden loss of form considering they have a knack of grinding out results which in turn has allowed a couple of teams to have a slim, outside chance.

If we win every game from now we will probably make it. But we won't, and it's unrealistic to suggest we could.

Im hoping Fulham make it. I think they deserve it more than Sheff Wed who I think have played quite average and some fortunate grind-out type results have papered over some rather large cracks in their promotion hunt. They seemed more fluid last season IMO

I'm just going to wait and see what happens. I don't think we'll make playoffs, but hey, I was expecting us to finish around 12/13th the way we were headed. If Rowett puts us anywhere close to contention then he has done a good job. Still, stranger things in football have happened, and often a team does surge into the playoffs. Like I said though, I hold serious doubts on it being us. I'd just like the good football back.

Rowett nailed it after the game on Friday. Said it's irrelevant. We have to give everything to win every game (even a testimonial two weeks after the season finished he said!) and everything else takes care of itself. S'true.

While I don't think it will happen, winning the remaining 7 games gets us to 77 points. That's been enough in all but one season for the last few seasons ( I went as far back as 2010 before getting bored).

While we think that it requires a catastrophic fall in form by the teams in the playoffs, it really doesn't. Fulham are averaging just over 1.64 points per game over the season. If they maintain that, they get to 75.5 points - let's round it up to 76.

Derby winning every remaining game, and Fulham sticking to their season long average form means we make the play-offs by 1 point. 

I shan't be betting the mortgage on it, but it's not totally ridiculous. 

Makes Tuesday quite important though!

This might be controversial...I don't want to make the playoffs. We've been a shambles for most of this season, masked by a great Nov/Dec when by common consent, we weren't great but snatching results. This isn't a team/squad that is capable of surviving in the Prem & that's what we all want.

Rowett will use the summer to make a few tweaks & then chase automatic - even if he doesn't say it publically. I want us to dominate this division & go up in a really good place as a club..even if that means waiting until 2018-19 to do so.

55 minutes ago, ck- said:

While I don't think it will happen, winning the remaining 7 games gets us to 77 points. That's been enough in all but one season for the last few seasons ( I went as far back as 2010 before getting bored).

While we think that it requires a catastrophic fall in form by the teams in the playoffs, it really doesn't. Fulham are averaging just over 1.64 points per game over the season. If they maintain that, they get to 75.5 points - let's round it up to 76.

Derby winning every remaining game, and Fulham sticking to their season long average form means we make the play-offs by 1 point. 

I shan't be betting the mortgage on it, but it's not totally ridiculous. 

Makes Tuesday quite important though!

77 points have been enough in every season since the play offs began except the season we got 77 points under Mac.

3 hours ago, LeedsCityRam said:

This might be controversial...I don't want to make the playoffs. We've been a shambles for most of this season, masked by a great Nov/Dec when by common consent, we weren't great but snatching results. This isn't a team/squad that is capable of surviving in the Prem & that's what we all want.

Rowett will use the summer to make a few tweaks & then chase automatic - even if he doesn't say it publically. I want us to dominate this division & go up in a really good place as a club..even if that means waiting until 2018-19 to do so.

Thing is, even getting into the playoffs means we get some extra revenue from TV games. It gives the fans excitement, and raises the enthusiasm as a club. Even if we were to make the playoffs, we likely would not win them. And invariably, no team just promoted is capable of surviving in the prem without heavy investment. However, the extra income from being in the premier league itself is what allows a club to invest. For example, Leicester under Nigel Pearson would have been relegated without Cambiasso, who was bought in the summer they went up. I see the point you're making, but at the same time I don't think that it would be too bad for us if we were to make the playoffs.

4 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Thing is, even getting into the playoffs means we get some extra revenue from TV games. It gives the fans excitement, and raises the enthusiasm as a club. Even if we were to make the playoffs, we likely would not win them. And invariably, no team just promoted is capable of surviving in the prem without heavy investment. However, the extra income from being in the premier league itself is what allows a club to invest. For example, Leicester under Nigel Pearson would have been relegated without Cambiasso, who was bought in the summer they went up. I see the point you're making, but at the same time I don't think that it would be too bad for us if we were to make the playoffs.

I think I'd generally agree that I don't think we've been "worthy" of promotion over the season, but getting in the play offs is never a bad thing, and even though winning them is unlikely, I'd never not want to. If 13/14 thought us anything, it's if you get a sniff, make it count.

2 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

I think I'd generally agree that I don't think we've been "worthy" of promotion over the season, but getting in the play offs is never a bad thing, and even though winning them is unlikely, I'd never not want to. If 13/14 thought us anything, it's if you get a sniff, make it count.

Agreed, QPR were never deserving of promotion that year. However if you get a chance to get into the premier league, you've got to take it. After all, 10 years ago was the last time we made it there! 

Archived