Derby County v Queens Park Rangers

Mafiabob

13 minutes ago, Mr Tibbs said:

Dave's definitely my new man crush. Quality player too, despite his ageing years. 

Can't remember the guy ever giving less than 100% for any of his clubs. That's been said on here many times I know but he plays with a smile. He's a credit to the game 

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My favourite thing about the game tonight was the copious amount of interceptions and tackles. 

There was no point in calling it the second ball tonight, it was Derby's ball every time. 

I like the aggression Rowett had brought to the team. It definitely adds substance to what we offer as a team. 

Just now, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

nugent...i like him but hes a poor mans martin,he doesnt lay off very well,his shooting is frequently errant.

i think that vydra and russell will be even more effective with martin.

in his favour,hes a huge character,a great header, is energetic and fills martins role far better than bent.

i want to keep him next year as martins back up....as i said,i like him a lot 

Give me Nugent over Martin any day..... Nugent has one distinct advantage over Martin..... he can defend from the front.... he maybe not as good technically as Chris.... but he's more a threat..... he keeps the ball alive, and he can score goals.

Pure Bolloc ks his lay offs and knock ons ain't good..... think he's perfect for Vydra.

Martin can sit on bench for me until he gets a chance.....

It may benefit Martin, it might make him hungry..... it might make him think he can't just walk into the team again.

For me..... Nugent the much better fit at minute. But it's a nice problem to have. 

Really enjoyed that. Direct without being kick and rush, aggressive, purposeful...lacking a bit if composure and quality in the final third, but we know that's in there somewhere. 

MoM Bradley Johnson by a street for me. Owned that midfield. We looked like a team with square pegs in square holes.

Rowett has definitely got me excited again. The way he talks about the game is pretty inspirational. Honest. Sensible.

Much better from us.

Qpr were disappointing. Tidy but a crap formation. They have a huge centre forward but no width, no winger, no protection for the full backs?

We started to look like a proper football team. 

Bradley johnson - minus the stupid top knot -  was man of the match for me.

14 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Good interview from Holloway too.

Pretty decent night all round. A good performance that makes you think we could become a strong team again.

Great interview with Rowett who seems to pretty much get everything.

Brilliant support from the fans too.

I feel like we could properly boss this league next year. I did not think like that after the Brighton game, far from it.

Guess there won't be much moaning about Mel on here for a couple of days.

Bloody MM, why didn't he Rowett 2 years ago! 

PistoldPete2
2 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Give me Nugent over Martin any day..... Nugent has one distinct advantage over Martin..... he can defend from the front.... he maybe not as good technically as Chris.... but he's more a threat..... he keeps the ball alive, and he can score goals.

Pure Bolloc ks his lay offs and knock ons ain't good..... think he's perfect for Vydra.

Martin can sit on bench for me until he gets a chance.....

It may benefit Martin, it might make him hungry..... it might make him think he can't just walk into the team again.

For me..... Nugent the much better fit at minute. But it's a nice problem to have. 

nugent works harder than martin... Problem is he tires towards the end, as does vydra. They are a god combination, but we need better options off the bench t avoid the team fading and conceding late goals , which we nearly did again today .

good job we didn't let qpr get a draw they never deserved. 

14 minutes ago, nfb said:

Who do u drop, Nugent or Vydra ? or are u suggesting 4-3-3 ? for me, if he comes back he can sit on the bench, i like Nugent for his energy and quality, and Vydra for his speed and technical skill, yes he scored us goals, and i was a huge fan....  but i dont think he's the player he was, atm.

Think we will play the best combination for the next game. Whether that is Martin, Vydra, Russell and Ince or Martin, Nugent, Russell and Ince or Nugent, Vydra, Russell and Ince or whoever.

This is the first time in I can't remember how long where we have genuine ability to be able to comfortably change things up front and we will not be weaker for it.

9 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

nugent...i like him but hes a poor mans martin,he doesnt lay off very well,his shooting is frequently errant.

i think that vydra and russell will be even more effective with martin.

in his favour,hes a huge character,a great header, is energetic and fills martins role far better than bent.

i want to keep him next year as martins back up....as i said,i like him a lot 

Just because he doesn't bring people into play doesn't mean he is a poor man's Martin. Just because players have different styles doesn't mean they are any worse. By that logic Messi is a poor man's Martin because he doesn't hold it up and lay it off, both of which regarding Martin are incredibly overrated anyway,he is useless with anything above chest height.

4 minutes ago, rynny said:

Think we will play the best combination for the next game. Whether that is Martin, Vydra, Russell and Ince or Martin, Nugent, Russell and Ince or Nugent, Vydra, Russell and Ince or whoever.

This is the first time in I can't remember how long where we have genuine ability to be able to comfortably change things up front and we will not be weaker for it.

It's good we have options. Having different players for different styles will make us less predictable to play against.

Thought Nugent and Vydra linked up great tonight,  full length of running with and without the ball.

Nugent had a back 3 to deal with tonight and dragged them all over the place, ran his heart out.

Vydra also saying he is now being allowed to play in his favourite position no 10. 

Bj In that holding midfield role also had a great game.

4 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

nugent works harder than martin... Problem is he tires towards the end, as does vydra. They are a god combination, but we need better options off the bench t avoid the team fading and conceding late goals , which we nearly did again today .

good job we didn't let qpr get a draw they never deserved. 

Rowett said Vydra's Mrs had their first little 'un during the week which is why he was a bit tired tonight. ;)

We saw a few glimpses of how we may look to play going in to next season. A few people had reservations about Rowett playing boring football. I personally haven't been bored watching either of Rowett's first two so far.

I like the counter attack tactic because it gives pacey players more space, and we had a lot of space throughout the game without QPR ever really threatening us. Our final ball let us down but we got into some great positions, playing the right pass at the right time turns that 1-0 into a 4-0 quite easily based on the performance.

I also thought our use of long balls were quite intelligent today. QPR have quite big defenders so our long balls weren't intended to be flicked on. They left quite a big space between their defence and midfield. I'm not sure if it was 100% intentional or not, but they often headed our long balls into that space and Nugent, Ince, Russell or Vydra picked up the loose ball and drove at the defence. That gave us a good outlet and got us into some good positions again. I was also impressed with the overlapping of the full-backs. Baird put in dangerous balls continuously, Olsson was nearly in on a few occasions.

Overall I'm really pleased with the win and I have a really good feeling about Rowett, probably aided by the fact that the way he talks about the game and the team give the impression that he is fully in control and he knows exactly what to do. Too little too late in terms of the play-offs apparently, although Sky wanted to mention our play-off chances at every single opportunity. More of the same in the remaining fixtures and I'll be really positive going in to pre-season and on to the following campaign.

1 minute ago, EastHertsRam said:

Rowett said Vydra's Mrs had their first little 'un during the week which is why he was a bit tired tonight. ;)

Surely he's had 9 months to get his breath back?

Thoroughly enjoyed this game. Energy, team play everyone seemed to know their role except maybe Tom who looked a bit unsure as a pure winger. Loved it when we went wide though and BJ was coming forward in to the middle and giving an option that wasn't purely defensive. It wasn't all tippy tappy but much more controlled and crafted to give us the extra man.

we harried higher up the pitch them which meant hurried passes from them and we picked up seconds more often than at any time in the last 12/18 months. Nuge is a great nuisance. Vydra ran well and showed some touches and that great roofed finish but they muscled in on him in two's. Don't think the ref picked up enough of their holding and barging. Johnny would have had 10/10 if hadn't come on the the pitch with a blunderbuss instead of a rifle. Worried about the set pieces and corners but hey .. Clean sheet so just learn from it. 

There are a pair of old guys near me .. A bit like the two gents from the muppets .. They reckoned ghost of Cloughie had returned in Rowett and he said no more girly haircuts in this team .. How Incy gets away with a slug on his bonce will be discussed at the next team meeting.

And now tenuous connection ITK gossip of the week. .. My friends grandsons girlfriend is a mate of GR's daughter and the whole family are chuffed to bits he got the job. Apparently GR punched the air when he broke the news the he was the new manager of DCFC. I am pretty happy too. 

Archived