Derby County v Queens Park Rangers

Mafiabob

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, DerbyMark said:

Maybe but it's happening far too often.

And when their player.. Cilla Black or whatever his name his.. Sylla..stands in the centre of our box on the edge of the 6-yard line and get's a free header in...you gotta wonder what your centre halfs are doing. 

He didn't lose his marker cos nobody was marking him in the first place!

Bent lost him

Big change for me tonight was FORWARD passes.  When the midfielders had the ball the mentality was to get forward rather than pass side to side, which we became experts at doing in the last couple of months.

Also a shout out to Johnson and his newly trimmed head.  He bossed that midfield tonight!

10 hours ago, Ellafella said:

So good to see us harrying teams when we don't have possession...we pressurised them into giving the ball back. Such a long time since we've seen that. Real energy on the pitch which transmitted to the fans who responded with energy back...ah quid pro quo and reciprocity. :mellow:

Atmosphere was good. Even at 0-0 the even east stand nearly got a full on rhythmic clap going. Didn't quite make it to full war cry status but a good effort and the North Stand were as none stop as I can remember for quite a while. All good stuff 

Definitely a spark, an energy through the team that's been missing for a while.

QPR had won 5 out the previous 7 before last night and actually started out with some confidence first 10/15 minutes.

We managed to match their energy which allowed our superior skills to control then dominate them.

I don't mind us missing chances, its far better than not creating any!

2 hours ago, Angry Ram said:

Firstly.. We beat fooking QPR and I hate those Cockney mugs... It's always personal for us London Rams and I work with loads of em.. Oh happy days.  :wub:

The performance, excellent.. Russet frustrating with final ball and finishing but that does not bother me so much. We have all see what he can do, so we know it's there. He should have had 3 last night, just some bad luck. Confidence player and needs a bit of luck.

. He has a presence and hopefully the players pick that up as well.GR, agree he speaks very well. sMac spoke I drifted off, same old rubbish.. I like what he says and how he says it

Fulham will be a bigger test footballing wise.. I am away and will miss it.. 6 weeks ago I was not bothered, now strangely I am.

I spoke with Gary just before the game yesterday Angry (get me!) and the word that came to mind as he fixed his eyes on me and talked was "chutzpah". He has a "way" about him that exudes an extreme confidence and self-assurance. He is naturally garrulous, but not in a verbose way. He clearly has had a very rapid impact on the players that is very pleasing to see. I would suggest that Bradley Johnson:

1. Looks far batter without the man-bun hairstyle...GR's influence?

2. Had one of the best games of his career last night. Never before has he played as well as that in my eyes.

I also thought Nugent and Vydra were like "a box of frogs" a-hoppin', skippin' and a-jumpin' all over the QPR place which told in the end. If they can keep that up on a regular basis we are going to score a lot of goals. Suddenly I see endless possibilities; Vydra and Nugent, Martin (arrghh! you shriek) and Vydra, Martin and Hughes (No 10) and plans A, B, and C start to line up like ducks. :mellow:

What pleased me particularly was the "hurry up" attitude. We played the ball first time more often and at throw ins and free kicks we didn't hang about and faff around. They just got on with it.

10 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Disagree, thought all were hungry..... just think we attacked down one channel a lot more than the other..... Ince was ok. Was involved in goal too.....

I didn't mean to single out Ince in that sense. I think we have become so used to Tom being the stand out bright spark that last night he just looked like a member of the team as a unit. They all played well including Tom. 

They were pretty rough tough oposition but if we had scored an early one from one of the misses we might well have roasted them. 

The combination of a win when playing proper football is so so important .. Yeah 3-0 would have been great and deserved but  isn't important at this stage. From the team to the crowd this is a marker, beat Fulham with the same degree of positive outlook and it will be happy days. Keep this style and endeavour going to season's end and we will be going places with real intent. Preseason will be refining rather than learning. 

It was great to see us play with some urgency for a change. Pressing the ball high up the pitch has been mentioned a lot but what I particularly liked was that we were brave enough to pass forward to people who weren't necessarily in a lot of space. Sometimes you have to be brave to force the issue & trust in the technical ability of a team-mate to retain possession even if he is marked.

My standouts were Baird, Vydra & Johnson with Bryson, Nugent & Russell impressing on work rate. Baird looks so accomplished at the minute - I would genuinely be shocked if he wasn't offered a new contract. Johnson did what he did well during our good run in Nov/Dec & although I would like a new DCM in the summer, he does a very decent job in a position not considered his best.

Biggest surprise was Vydra though - that number 10 role looks made for him & I confess I'd always seen him as an off the shoulder striker. His vision & intelligence stand out from a lot of our attacking options & he carries real goal menace. He could be on for a stellar season next year in tandem with Martin or Nugent - both in terms of goals & assists.

Big credit has to go to Gary Rowett for the change in mindset though. Looking at the team last night, there doesn't appear to be a lot wrong & with an on-form Hughes, Forsyth & George Thorne to come back into the team, things look very rosey indeed. QPR were the in form team in this division with good results at Newcastle, Brighton & Leeds - we absolutely bossed them.

3 hours ago, rynny said:

The centre halfs are marking the biggest players, Keogh on Smith and Pearce on Hall. Think you will find it was Darren Bent who went walkabout from his player (like against Villa).

They had 4 players on the edge of the box, Smith, Hall, Perch and Bidwell. They were marked by our 2 centre halfs and Baird and Russell.

You could well be right about Bent going walkabout..

But whoever's not doing his job the fact is it's happening far too often..to concede at the death against Forest from a free header and then to allow the same thing to very nearly happen again in your very next match is plain w*** tbh...!

Probably has a lot to do with the general panic that seems to grip this side as soon as the clock starts to ticks down..

Rowett needs to address that issue aswell.

14 minutes ago, DerbyMark said:

You could well be right about Bent going walkabout..

But whoever's not doing his job the fact is it's happening far too often..to concede at the death against Forest from a free header and then to allow the same thing to very nearly happen again in your very next match is plain w*** tbh...!

Probably has a lot to do with the general panic that seems to grip this side as soon as the clock starts to ticks down..

Rowett needs to address that issue aswell.

Think we as fans do that more......

watched Keogh towards end..... encouraging looking at everyone giving it the come on etc..... seems reinvigorated rather than a guy whose consistently carrying around a lot of baggage of his shoulders. 

1 hour ago, Ellafella said:

I spoke with Gary just before the game yesterday Angry (get me!) and the word that came to mind as he fixed his eyes on me and talked was "chutzpah". He has a "way" about him that exudes an extreme confidence and self-assurance. He is naturally garrulous, but not in a verbose way. He clearly has had a very rapid impact on the players that is very pleasing to see. I would suggest that Bradley Johnson:

1. Looks far batter without the man-bun hairstyle...GR's influence?

2. Had one of the best games of his career last night. Never before has he played as well as that in my eyes.

I also thought Nugent and Vydra were like "a box of frogs" a-hoppin', skippin' and a-jumpin' all over the QPR place which told in the end. If they can keep that up on a regular basis we are going to score a lot of goals. Suddenly I see endless possibilities; Vydra and Nugent, Martin (arrghh! you shriek) and Vydra, Martin and Hughes (No 10) and plans A, B, and C start to line up like ducks. :mellow:

He must have reminded you of me :D I can see we are similar, me and Gazza as you must call him now.

Anyway get you, rubbing shoulders with Fawaz and now Gazza.. You da man !! :o

Without turning this into another Martin debate, his pressing approach yesterday would make it very difficult to accommodate Martin from the start. He simply won't provide what I saw yesterday from Nugent.. :ph34r:

Archived