Derby County v Queens Park Rangers

Mafiabob

3 minutes ago, DerbyMark said:

You could well be right about Bent going walkabout..

But whoever's not doing his job the fact is it's happening far too often..to concede at the death against Forest from a free header and then to allow the same thing to very nearly happen again in your very next match is plain w*** tbh...!

Probably has a lot to do with the general panic that seems to grip this side as soon as the clock starts to ticks down..

Rowett needs to address that issue aswell.

That is the issue, it seems to be repeat offenders of not doing their job at set pieces.

Forest looks woefully set up at the back stick with 3 forest players on Butterfield and Johnson.

Blackburn - Pearce gives away a penalty.

Villa - Bent loses his marker

Cardiff - Bent loses his marker at the throw in then gets in Baird's way so he can't get to his man who scores. Pearce gives away a penalty

Bristol City - Baird and Olsson don't follow the ball in, Olsson's man scores.

Reading - Impossible to say for certain from the camera angle, possibly Keogh or Baird left their man.

Leeds - Wood is inbetween Johnson and Shackell, more Johnson's man.

Norwich - Short corner, Pearce loses his man

And that has just been since xmas in the league.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, rynny said:

That is the issue, it seems to be repeat offenders of not doing their job at set pieces.

Forest looks woefully set up at the back stick with 3 forest players on Butterfield and Johnson.

Cardiff - Bent loses his marker at the throw in then gets in Baird's way so he can't get to his man who scores. Pearce gives away a penalty

Reading - Impossible to say for certain from the camera angle, possibly Keogh or Baird left their man.

Exactly.

Lack of focus, lack of concentration...

You also have to wonder about the fitness levels if we're conceding goals so late in matches.

I think Rowett will certainly sort that one and we've already seen signs of an increased pressing and work rate.

1 hour ago, rynny said:

You're wrong! All Keoghs' fault - some of our 'fans' said so!

6 minutes ago, DerbyMark said:

Exactly.

Lack of focus, lack of concentration...

You also have to wonder about the fitness levels if we're conceding goals so late in matches.

I think Rowett will certainly sort that one and we've already seen signs of an increased pressing and work rate.

I have thought about fitness levels recently and how we don't seem to press as much higher up the pitch as we did, and thought it may be down to fitness levels.

One thing I will say about Clough is that he certainly did make the players work hard in preseason.

10 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

Far too negative and harsh Roy.

It's not necessarily negative, afterall we won. But there was opportunity to be better. We did not control the first 15 mins (GR said same) and they should have equalised ala F*rest...

16 hours ago, Ellafella said:

* is that actually possible?:mellow:

Hummm well the ITK genealogy goes something like this. My friend Karen (60 something) has a daughter Sara 40 something. Sara has a son who is 17 and has a first girlfriend. This girl is apparently a mate of Gary junior ( but that must mean his son as I don't think GR a daughter ? )

the story that filters down via girl to boy, to mum and thence to gran (plenty of room for precise communication there :blink:) is that GR was holding off from Norwich in the hope that something might happen at Derby, and when it did the whole Rowett clan whooped for joy and GR punched the air and had a "yesssss ! get in" kind of moment. 

• Of course this is gossip and hearsay and all connections to real people is entirely coincidental :D

3 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

I'd be interested to see our goal attempts and shots on target. We seem to be creating a lot more last 2 games. Wasn't it about 7 shots on target each game?

30 shots and 11 on target over the two games.

23 hours ago, Andrew James said:

He could have been so good, wasting his career his final shot or pass is very very poor. He must practice this ? 

He certainly must practice being useless in the final third, that's he's so good at it!

Apart from the finishing, last nights performance was a big improvement on what we have seen for some time. You could see the players looking to play the ball forward at every opportunity and only really resorted to the sideways and backwards passing when there wasn't really a clear option to play it forward. They defended from the front and hardly gave their defenders or midfield any sort of time to play it around. Nugent and Vydra look like they enjoy playing together and will get better as they learn more about each others game, Russell was a constant threat and their defenders will be glad that they won't have to face him again this season. Ince worked his socks off and seemed to spend quite a lot of the night tracking back and helping Johnson and Baird. Overall I was pleased with the performance and it was only slightly ruined by the last minute jitters again that stop us from relaxing and enjoying the fact that we are winning until the whistle blows.

11 minutes ago, EnigmaRam said:

Seems a massive step up from most of the previous games. Some games we've only had it ne shot on target so it looks positive

Only 4 against QPR but it really should have been more. 17 shots in total and 4 on target. 11 shots vs Forest with 7 on target.

Fully deserved the 3 points, nice to see Gary get off to a winning start. Vydra looked very sharp in patches, much better than I expected having read this forum lately. Also thought Chris "Bird" played quite well.

It's going to be really interesting to see how much momentum GR can take into the summer. He'll know already he's got the nucleus of a cracking squad. If this lot start playing the way they can for the last 8 games or so, it'll make his summer re-build a hell of a lot easier.

I reckon it's going to be a good season next time around.

7 minutes ago, ronnieronalde said:

Fully deserved the 3 points, nice to see Gary get off to a winning start. Vydra looked very sharp in patches, much better than I expected having read this forum lately. Also thought Chris "Bird" played quite well.

It's going to be really interesting to see how much momentum GR can take into the summer. He'll know already he's got the nucleus of a cracking squad. If this lot start playing the way they can for the last 8 games or so, it'll make his summer re-build a hell of a lot easier.

I reckon it's going to be a good season next time around.

Chris Baird has amazed me to be honest I would even put him down as our best player in recent times along with Bradley Johnson .

It will be interesting to see if we give Baird another year but I suppose that depends on many things and how Rowett sees his role. 

I am optimistic about next season but that's mostly the case with me at the start of each season. 

3 or 4 player changes in key areas may be enough next season if as you say these players get their act together with Rowett. 

Archived