Chris Bairds 12 month option.

Coneheadjohn

Baird's 12 month option  

238 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's done a good job but we need to move forward and start blooding Rawson and/or the next up and coming Michael Keane as center halves and Christie / stabana at RB. Can't keep players who are just utility players. 

17 hours ago, Paul71 said:

Agree 100 %, if he is happy to be squad cover that is i guess. He might want to go somewhere where he can be guaranteed a first team place, i do suspect if we stay free of injuries his game time would be limited.

He has been excellent when called upon this season at right back and now in centre of defence though.

You would expect him to be looking for a two year deal with somebody if he can get it, from our point of view it would depend on us adding a centre half and a right back into the equation to replace him/ add strength to the squad in them areas, but no argument if he wanted a year extension but play time is in no way guaranteed 

I think I am one of many fan's who thought we would see Baird leave at the end of the season. His recent displays however have changed my mind. I also think he would be useful back-up to have next season. 

That said I think he will leave, as he will looking for regular football in the twilight of his career, something we will not be able to offer. 

Good senior pro. Calms this down, doesn't mind doing simple things, which we need.

Not all players have to be "game winners" through moments of individual brilliance and flair.

Baird is a solid pro who will be a good influence on young players. I also love the fact that he doesn't listen to the crowd moaning to get it forward, run with it, shoot from 40 yards. He is prepared to do what needs to be done in a situation, regardless of wjat the experts think.

Keep him here for another year at least

In the most predictable post since Ronnie talking about Nige...

Nope, too old.

We need a squad refresh as it is, and keeping around bed blockers isn't the way forward. So as much as he's done this season to half change my opinion on him as a player, I'd rather we look to youth.

You need a blend of old heads and youthful exuberance. I would keep Baird and Bent (if their wages are not astronomical). Then with the likes of Lowe, Hughes, Vydra, Christie and Ince as our younguns, we end up with a decent blend. Just need some players at their peak now!

Not sure how many others were keeping an eye on Chris Baird last night, but I found his body language to be really telling.

On a number of occasions, when he was in position, he got visibly angry/frustrated, waving his hands up and down, obviously annoyed with our players. Nobody was offering him anything, and he was letting them know.

I personally like that. We need a few more voices trying to kick our under-performers into gear.

16 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Not sure how many others were keeping an eye on Chris Baird last night, but I found his body language to be really telling.

On a number of occasions, when he was in position, he got visibly angry/frustrated, waving his hands up and down, obviously annoyed with our players. Nobody was offering him anything, and he was letting them know.

I personally like that. We need a few more voices trying to kick our under-performers into gear.

Yep, he was up for it and played well. If he can be fit enough, another 12 months would be good.

I would rather have him as back up than Pearce. He is a CB only really. I think his legs have gone so he can't play at rb or cdm in my opinion. He is no john eustace.

I would question the wage he is on though we may need some flexibility to bring is say Wisdom or a new defender. 

Anya is good enough cover for rb but we would need a new cb and cdm.

On one hand yes keep him brilliant professional & been excellent 

however we have a lot of dead wood (not saying baird is dead wood but might have to go to free up wages) 

plus we should be aiming for better players than baird

• 4 weeks later...

Archived