Controversial Derby Opinions

RamsFan10

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, RamsFan10 said:

Some controversial opinions about Derby that, when considered, actually seem relatively fair.

1) Steve Mac is not a good manager:

Best stints of his career have been with us, and all 3 seasons he's had with us he has bottled (Wembley, missing out on play offs and now this year with play offs a long, long shot). Everywhere he's gone he's been a terrible defensive coach, Pearson had the same defence hardly conceding. 

2) Will Hughes is not as good as everyone says:

Doesn't score enough, simple. A quality attacking midfielder scores goals, Hughes is only excellent at keeping play ticking, but is average going forward.

3) CBs are average at best:

Keogh is a bang average championship CB, after all these years no Prem team has showed any serious interest. Pearce was allowed to leave by Reading, he's slow and generally overrated after his purple patch this season. Shackell perhaps underrated at the moment. 

4) Our recruitment is frankly dreadful:

Vydra, Blackman, Camara, Butterfield, Johnson, Weimann, Anya - none have improved the team, most have been worse than what we had. Nugent - cost more than double Bogle at Wigan, surely a stupid signing for bit part appearances.

5) Bent can't be first choice striker:

Extremely controversial after his recent goal spell, he's been doing well recently. On the whole though, does his lack of creativity harm the team more than his goals aid us?

Not sure how much I agree with all of these, but certainly to be considered.

I have been saying all of these and been told I already posted the most miserable stupid post of the year back in early Jan.

I will add on one more stupid thing !

How far FURTHUR FORWARD are we than when RUSH sacked Clough and look at how many millions have been spent after he has gone , One wonders what where we would be now had Clough been given the same opportunity . We need a whole sale clear out now and to start from scratch.

If we are going to play Keogh why not try all 3 Shackell ( who is by far and away the best central defender in this division and its laughable he is on bench ) Pearce and move Keogh to right back he can play there .

Only thing you can question Shackell on or if you listen to rumours is his attitude with others at times ( maybe not a squad mixing type ) .

Just now, NottsRammy said:

I have been saying all of these and been told I already posted the most miserable stupid post of the year back in early Jan.

I will add on one more stupid thing !

How far FURTHUR FORWARD are we than when RUSH sacked Clough and look at how many millions have been spent after he has gone , One wonders what where we would be now had Clough been given the same opportunity . We need a whole sale clear out now and to start from scratch.

If we are going to play Keogh why not try all 3 Shackell ( who is by far and away the best central defender in this division and its laughable he is on bench ) Pearce and move Keogh to right back he can play there .

Only thing you can question Shackell on or if you listen to rumours is his attitude with others at times ( maybe not a squad mixing type ) .

We are miles further forward than when Clough was here.

Our fans turn up expecting to win every game.

Even after our disastrous start and out current blip we are higher in the league than we ever finished under Clough.

Not saying he would not have improved us anymore but nothing is certain.

Why not stick with Jewell, Brown or Gregory? Iam sure they will all tell you that we would have improved and they were unfairly sacked.

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

We are miles further forward than when Clough was here.

Our fans turn up expecting to win every game.

Even after our disastrous start and out current blip we are higher in the league than we ever finished under Clough.

Not saying he would not have improved us anymore but nothing is certain.

Why not stick with Jewell, Brown or Gregory? Iam sure they will all tell you that we would have improved and they were unfairly sacked.

We are no further forward at all.

I would love some astute person with the facts to come on and actually add up the amount spent inc clough by our most recent managers and then lets truly see how far forward we are !!.

Yes money does not equal guaranteed success but it sure as well help when its put INTO THE RIGHT PERSONS HANDS !

Just now, NottsRammy said:

I would love some astute person with the facts to come on and actually add up the amount spent inc clough by our most recent managers and then lets truly see how far forward we are !!.

Yes money does not equal guaranteed success but it sure as well help when its put INTO THE RIGHT PERSONS HANDS !

Money doesn't equal being further forward:

League finishes under Cloughie Jr:

2009-10: 14th

2010-11: 19th

2011-12: 12th

2012-13: 10th

League finish under SMC:

2013-14: 3rd

2014-15: 8th

League finish under Wassall:

2015-16: 5th

Now I admit I haven't looked at money spent, but I believe those league positions are better? going from relegation to lower mid table side up to mid-table/play off challengers is signs to me of going in the right direction. 

10 hours ago, RamsFan10 said:

Some controversial opinions about Derby that, when considered, actually seem relatively fair.

Best stints of his career have been with us, and all 3 seasons he's had with us he has bottled (Wembley, missing out on play offs and now this year with play offs a long, long shot). Everywhere he's gone he's been a terrible defensive coach, Pearson had the same defence hardly conceding. 

Doesn't score enough, simple. A quality attacking midfielder scores goals, Hughes is only excellent at keeping play ticking, but is average going forward.

Keogh is a bang average championship CB, after all these years no Prem team has showed any serious interest. Pearce was allowed to leave by Reading, he's slow and generally overrated after his purple patch this season. Shackell perhaps underrated at the moment. 

Vydra, Blackman, Camara, Butterfield, Johnson, Weimann, Anya - none have improved the team, most have been worse than what we had. Nugent - cost more than double Bogle at Wigan, surely a stupid signing for bit part appearances.

Extremely controversial after his recent goal spell, he's been doing well recently. On the whole though, does his lack of creativity harm the team more than his goals aid us?

Posters who are ignorant and lazy like you do my head in. You say 'best stints of his career have been with us,' so when MacClaren won league cup and got his team to be runners up in EUFA Cup, those achievements were inferior to what he has done with Derby. ?

25 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

Can you remember some of the negative football we played under Nigel because I can,I stopped travelling away because it was keep it tight and play for 0-0 and don't forget the home games when we ended up with 7 defenders on the pitch. Nigel Clough can spot a player that is it

If they hadn't sacked Clough, I'd have given up my Season Ticket (after almost 35 years) - it was the most dull and abject football I can remember seeing in all those years - one of my mates that I'd been going to the match with from the early 80s gave up the previous season and has probably been to half a dozen games since. Clough killed people's love of the club and football in general. I genuinely think that if Clough was still at Derby we'd be seeing attendances nearer to 15,00 than the 25,000 that were there last night.....

I appreciate this is just my opinion (and I do recognise all the good Clough did in getting rid of the deadwood and cutting costs), but he'd taken us as far as he could - even now I struggle to listen to his miserable interviews on Radio Derby. I'd be watching Mickleover Sports if he was still at the Rams - in fact, I thinking of going along on Saturday as we haven't got a game - hope I don't enjoy it too much.....

45 minutes ago, NottsRammy said:

So we got more points and finished higher under Clough?

Are we still losing more than we win? 

Do the fans not now turn up at Pride Park expecting to beat every team.

The money is irrelevant to our progress, it's come out of the chairman's pocket so it's set the club back nothing. 

We now own out ground and our facilities are being improved all id the time.

What is to say NC would have been good with money? Who was his most expensive signing?

Just watched Mac's post match interview. 'Let's not panic and over react, this is football.' Spot on.

1 hour ago, DRBee said:

Posters who are ignorant and lazy like you do my head in. You say 'best stints of his career have been with us,' so when MacClaren won league cup and got his team to be runners up in EUFA Cup, those achievements were inferior to what he has done with Derby. ?

Would appreciate not being personally called ignorant and lazy for simply putting opinions out there, if you read I go on to say how I don't fully agree with any of them. I for one don't know how I rate Mac, seems very inconsistent so it's hard to gauge.

12 hours ago, RamsFan10 said:

Point 4 is very fair indeed, Vydra would be the exception but in a totally different formation, but he's no use to us whatsoever in 4-3-3. 

Dead money, big wages for the rest, will be sold at big expense to us

48 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

So we got more points and finished higher under Clough?

Are we still losing more than we win? 

Do the fans not now turn up at Pride Park expecting to beat every team.

The money is irrelevant to our progress, it's come out of the chairman's pocket so it's set the club back nothing. 

We now own out ground and our facilities are being improved all id the time.

What is to say NC would have been good with money? Who was his most expensive signing?

Just watched Mac's post match interview. 'Let's not panic and over react, this is football.' Spot on.

Connor Sammon.

14 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

I dont think Bent is anywhere near as effective as Martin in terms of success as the lone forward. Dont doubt he can score goals, but his inclusion makes us weaker defensively

Just my opinion, but I cant accept that Darren Bent playing in the team weakens our defence. We play with a holding midfield player protecting the centre backs. If the CB's are still unable to defend properly they need a career change. At present Bent would be deemed to be carrying out his duties (scoring goals) as per his job description (striker). Not so sure about our defenders though....

8 minutes ago, europia said:

Just my opinion, but I cant accept that Darren Bent playing in the team weakens our defence. We play with a holding midfield player protecting the centre backs. If the CB's are still unable to defend properly they need a career change. At present Bent would be deemed to be carrying out his duties (scoring goals) as per his job description (striker). Not so sure about our defenders though....

We saw 2 sides of Darren Bent last night. First half he showing for the ball, moving from cb to cb, drifting out to the wing, and being a real menace. Second half he was standing behind the centre back on the opposite side of where the ball was, if Pearce or Olsson had the ball he was stood next to Bamba eho was their left centre back looking for the diagonal long through ball. And when it was with Keogh and Baird/Anya he did same, stood on their right centre back. He didn't show for the ball, he didn't present any chance for a pass to go him other than the long pass. Which left our defenders and midfielders doing their chuckle brother impressions, to me to you. Which is why we struggle to attack, which is why we get caught in possession and why the defence are under more pressure, and weakens the defence. Not to mention the mistakes he has made in the box recently (Leicester og and the equaliser last night. Not sure what he was trying to do!)

15 hours ago, RamsFan10 said:

4) Our recruitment is frankly dreadful

1 - That's a matter of opinion. Don't agree with it but can see why people would say it.

2 - Again, a matter of opinion. Personally think he is proving his worth this season with some excellent performances and just because he doesn't score a huge amount of goals doesn't mean he isn't brilliant. David Silva is seen as one of the best attacking mid's in the Premier League but doesn't bag for fun, Same for Ozil. 

3 - Can agree with this, We haven't got the best CB's in the league by a mile.

4 - Completely agree, Our recruitment has to be on of the worst in the league. 

5 - Personally think this is rubbish, Bent is proving that he still has it, but just because he doesn't play the way Chris Martin used to, people think he's bad. 

But like I've said, it's all about opinions. 

15 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Not even Brian Clough could turn this team around, the players are not good enough, there is no consistency and the players do not play with passion or desire, Leicester showed that you do not have to be the best to win, but if you're not the best then you need passion and desire to make up for it, we have neither.

Brian Clough was hugely overrated. 

Archived