Controversial Derby Opinions

RamsFan10

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not even Brian Clough could turn this team around, the players are not good enough, there is no consistency and the players do not play with passion or desire, Leicester showed that you do not have to be the best to win, but if you're not the best then you need passion and desire to make up for it, we have neither.

31 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

Some controversial opinions about Derby that, when considered, actually seem relatively fair.

1) Steve Mac is not a good manager:

Best stints of his career have been with us, and all 3 seasons he's had with us he has bottled (Wembley, missing out on play offs and now this year with play offs a long, long shot). Everywhere he's gone he's been a terrible defensive coach, Pearson had the same defence hardly conceding. 

2) Will Hughes is not as good as everyone says:

Doesn't score enough, simple. A quality attacking midfielder scores goals, Hughes is only excellent at keeping play ticking, but is average going forward.

3) CBs are average at best:

Keogh is a bang average championship CB, after all these years no Prem team has showed any serious interest. Pearce was allowed to leave by Reading, he's slow and generally overrated after his purple patch this season. Shackell perhaps underrated at the moment. 

4) Our recruitment is frankly dreadful:

Vydra, Blackman, Camara, Butterfield, Johnson, Weimann, Anya - none have improved the team, most have been worse than what we had. Nugent - cost more than double Bogle at Wigan, surely a stupid signing for bit part appearances.

5) Bent can't be first choice striker:

Extremely controversial after his recent goal spell, he's been doing well recently. On the whole though, does his lack of creativity harm the team more than his goals aid us?

Not sure how much I agree with all of these, but certainly to be considered.

You are right on Hughes, you couldnt be more wrong on Bent.

You are obviously just one of the people who refuse to see past Martin being the only option good enough.

get crosses in, get quality ball in the box, and bent will score. I dont want him linking play if it slows us down and basically advocates the use of poor and past it russell and bryson.

8 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Carson

Keogh

Thorne

Hughes

Martin

THAT is the backbone of a championship winning side or call me a carrot.

Trouble is they're never on the bloody pitch together!

Championship winning side? Really? Keogh isn't as bad as some say but isn't that good, Thorne is a professional hospital patient whose career is interrupted with a few (very good) appearances for Derby, see my above post about Hughes and when Martin left more than 50% weren't upset on the DET's poll. Unless the 6 players around those 5 were excellent all seasons, I don't think you could call that a championship winning backbone at all.

433 with two luxury wingers snd a lone striker does make us stretched and open. 

Then we have a tendency to drop deep, stand still and ball watch whilst playing negative non-constructive football.

we just seem happy to pass it around to no effect. Playing it back from where its just come from. 

We don't work hard enough to drop back, to win the ball back, to defend as a team,  or to move.

we're too small. So we can't defend throw ins and corners. The equaliser was a great example of this weakness.

the centre backs are not a natural combination. Both centre halfs. Both want to attack the first ball and don't naturally tend to cover for one another.

and tonight.....poor individual performances, and poor passing. 

Finally the substitutions just turn the game into a total lottery.

how a poor cardiff side managed to stuff us on our patch is almost beyond belief.

3 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

You are right on Hughes, you couldnt be more wrong on Bent.

You are obviously just one of the people who refuse to see past Martin being the only option good enough.

get crosses in, get quality ball in the box, and bent will score. I dont want him linking play if it slows us down and basically advocates the use of poor and past it russell and bryson.

I wasn't actually too sad when Martin left, hoped we'd replace him with a better option and style. We haven't.

I have rash knee jerk reactions. In my very humble opinion, when Bent plays he scores, he is a natural scorer and would score in any team. However with him in the team the ball doesn't stick upfront so we do spend more time defending. With the system we play, be it outdated or not we need a Martin'esq player to hold it up and bring others into play. This isn't knocking Bent. When he was in the team a few seasons back under Mac we were scoring but also conceding. 

I do feel that a 4231 formation with Martin, Ince and one more plus Hughes/Bryson in behind and 2 sitting may bring out the best in said players. 

I am sick of saying we're not ready yet, next season etc. The small crumb of comfort is that we play, on occasion decent footy. 

On to tues. Please don't let Burton do the double over us. That would be a low. 

9 minutes ago, Simsy said:

So let me get this right because we can't defend of late that's our goal scorer bents fault. :blink:

That's really not what I said, so no you haven't got that right. The thought behind the Bent paragraph needs looking past the last 2 games, considering his whole Derby career. His lack of link up play nullifies threats from elsewhere, I said nothing about Bent relating to the defence.

16 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

How on earth can anyone accuse Mac of 'bottling' this season. Absolute joker.

Was harsh of me to lump this year in with his other two considering the position we were in when he took over. The point about his managerial skill still remains though. He's done a good job this time round so far (on the whole), even though we now seem play every game like Millwall away or Hudds away in his last season. ?

I was purposely playing Devil's advocate in my original post.

3 hours ago, Parsnip said:

Carson

Keogh

Thorne

Hughes

Martin

THAT is the backbone of a championship winning side or call me a carrot.

Trouble is they're never on the bloody pitch together!

you are a carrot...

Keogh simply isn't good enough, not by a million miles....and Thorne, well no one knows do they.

Carson, Hughes and Martin are the spine.....but we need a defence....!!

5 hours ago, CumbrianRam said:

It was bad for this forum and the club that DCFC went on a 7 game winning run.

It was. 

They were all crying into their pea soup before he came in. 

The despite all our players being horrific bottlers and non league hoofers and whatever else they get called, Mac had these fans believing Derby would make the play offs.

Said it before and I'll say it again. They deserve Nigel Pearson. That was the man they asked for after all.

5 hours ago, Millenniumram said:

We will never get promoted wth Richard keogh in the side 

Steve McClarens tactics are outdated now- 4231 is the way to success 

The squad has no bottle- not as controversial

1 player keeps an entire squad back?

The second point is crazy mate. Everyone should be playing 4231?!

It's a different squad from what we had in 2013/14

Archived