Controversial Derby Opinions

RamsFan10

15 hours ago, loweman2 said:

Not even Brian Clough could turn this team around, the players are not good enough, there is no consistency and the players do not play with passion or desire, Leicester showed that you do not have to be the best to win, but if you're not the best then you need passion and desire to make up for it, we have neither.

Didn't folk say the England "Golden Generation" failed because it didn't have passion? 

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a theory....

so our F.A Cup tie with Leicester was shown on the BBC, plenty of column inches and the battle of the two giants of the east midlands and the battle was on...

so our players that have been playing out of their sockies ,we are ready to take on the Premier League Champions (:lol:) after dispatching a well organised WBA side and the team news was released, tea lady at right back, bob the cleaner at centre midfield and Arthur on the right wing, I think the first team feel they should have fielded a strong side and beat the premier league side and progressed, we now have discord within our ranks.

58 minutes ago, europia said:

Just my opinion, but I cant accept that Darren Bent playing in the team weakens our defence. We play with a holding midfield player protecting the centre backs. If the CB's are still unable to defend properly they need a career change. At present Bent would be deemed to be carrying out his duties (scoring goals) as per his job description (striker). Not so sure about our defenders though....

Come on, surely he should defend opposition's long goal kicks better!

10 hours ago, Alpha said:

1 player keeps an entire squad back?

The second point is crazy mate. Everyone should be playing 4231?!

It's a different squad from what we had in 2013/14

Didn't get much chance to explain what I meant here, I'm not here to slam Richard keoghs footballing abilitys- far from it, as an all round defender he's one of the best we've had this century, anyone doubting that is blinkered. However what I wanted to bring into question was keoghs mentality, imo and it is only my opinion, I have no way of knowing for sure, as captain keogh isn't mentally strong enough to see a team up. Obviously nowadays the captains role is much less in terms of actual actions, but how it spreads across the team when the man who is supposed to be your leader ends up, understandably, a bit down in the dumps when we're struggling, isn't good for whole team mentality. Obviously all just my opinion which is why it's in this thread, but I feel we need a proper old fashioned leader at the back, like Shaun barker before his injury.

I don't believe that 4231 is the only way to success, but if you look at teams recently promoted to the prem, especially those who have survived, many of them play that formation. I feel it offers more balance to defence and attack than the 433, which although I love as utilised correctly it creates some magical football, I believe that it's harder to get right than a 4231 on a consistent basis and I believe that is why there's been a shift in global football away from it recently, apart from teams like Barca who can play it perfectly. There's other formations of course like a 352 but the 4231 isn't a massive shift from a 433 and I think we have the personnel to do it.

On the last point 'squad' was maybe the wrong word, 'club' may suit better. There's something wrong here IMO, something ingrained which has seen us fail so many times. What it is however I don't know. As you say the squad has changed, managers have changed, coaches have changed, even owners have changed, and yet we still mess up every February! It's like clubs such as Sunderland and villa, we just can't seem to get it right no matter what we do! 

Obviously most of this is without evidence really, all just my guesswork really and I'm sure most will disagree with me hence why it's in this thread. I'm not calling for total overhaul, that would be ludicrous, it's only been a couple of games but I still fear these underlying issues need to be resolved.

55 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

I don't believe that 4231 is the only way to success, but if you look at teams recently promoted to the prem, especially those who have survived, many of them play that formation. I feel it offers more balance to defence and attack than the 433, which although I love as utilised correctly it creates some magical football, I believe that it's harder to get right than a 4231 on a consistent basis and I believe that is why there's been a shift in global football away from it recently, apart from teams like Barca who can play it perfectly. There's other formations of course like a 352 but the 4231 isn't a massive shift from a 433 and I think we have the personnel to do it.

Who aside from Boro, Hull and maybe Norwich (who I believe played a 4-5-1 but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt)? Leicester, Burnley, Bounemouth and QPR played a 4-4-2 while Watford played a funky 3-4-3 with Ighalo, Deeney and Vydra leading the line.

Something is very wrong with our midfield at the moment. It might be the system, Bent certainly doesn't fit the system as much as Martin does so there is a huge gap between our midfield and forward line which he used to fill. Maybe pushing someone like Hughesy further forward would help with that but I'm not sure that's how Mac wants to play. At the moment he's got a lot of players that aren't his, Carson, Olsson, Pearce, Shackell, Johnson, Butterfield, Camara, Baird, Blackman, Vydra, Anya. I'm not saying its all their fault, Carson for example has been absolutely excellent for us. I just question how many of those he would have brought in himself, because not many of them fit the style of football he clearly wants to play. I'm quite relaxed about the result of this season because we have such a conflict of style within our squad at the moment. Mac needs a summer window to bring his men in, to play the style he wants. I think he feels that committing to what he wants for the time being is going to be more beneficial in the long run than the short run.

8 minutes ago, lrm14 said:

Who aside from Boro, Hull and maybe Norwich (who I believe played a 4-5-1 but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt)? Leicester, Burnley, Bounemouth and QPR played a 4-4-2 while Watford played a funky 3-4-3 with Ighalo, Deeney and Vydra leading the line.

Something is very wrong with our midfield at the moment. It might be the system, Bent certainly doesn't fit the system as much as Martin does so there is a huge gap between our midfield and forward line which he used to fill. Maybe pushing someone like Hughesy further forward would help with that but I'm not sure that's how Mac wants to play. At the moment he's got a lot of players that aren't his, Carson, Olsson, Pearce, Shackell, Johnson, Butterfield, Camara, Baird, Blackman, Vydra, Anya. I'm not saying its all their fault, Carson for example has been absolutely excellent for us. I just question how many of those he would have brought in himself, because not many of them fit the style of football he clearly wants to play. I'm quite relaxed about the result of this season because we have such a conflict of style within our squad at the moment. Mac needs a summer window to bring his men in, to play the style he wants. I think he feels that committing to what he wants for the time being is going to be more beneficial in the long run than the short run.

Absolutely....Everyone  needs to chill their boots about this year,Mac included.

Next year is the real test and will be  a truer indicator of Mac's abilities.

Can't add anything else to your post,spot on.

I'm out of likes though,so I'll have to revisit...

1 minute ago, RoyMac5 said:

That's the joke though init. Loads expected play-offs. But also Mac's a rubbish manager, with a squad of over-rated players. Lol.

Just hope Mac stays..... we need patience..... we need stability, we are crying out for it.

5 hours ago, LesterRam said:

I have a theory....

so our F.A Cup tie with Leicester was shown on the BBC, plenty of column inches and the battle of the two giants of the east midlands and the battle was on...

so our players that have been playing out of their sockies ,we are ready to take on the Premier League Champions (:lol:) after dispatching a well organised WBA side and the team news was released, tea lady at right back, bob the cleaner at centre midfield and Arthur on the right wing, I think the first team feel they should have fielded a strong side and beat the premier league side and progressed, we now have discord within our ranks.

I have to admit that thought has also crossed my mind.

4 hours ago, Mafiabob said:

Just hope Mac stays..... we need patience..... we need stability, we are crying out for it.

Exactly, the reason we are where we are is because we've had 4 managers in the last couple of seasons, all with their own philosophies and transfer requirements. There's no wonder the team currently looks unbalanced. We need to give Steve at least a few transfers windows to get a team identity back. 

6 minutes ago, r_wilcockson said:

Exactly, the reason we are where we are is because we've had 4 managers in the last couple of seasons, all with their own philosophies and transfer requirements. There's no wonder the team currently looks unbalanced. We need to give Steve at least a few transfers windows to get a team identity back. 

It's finally caught up with us..... whether we agree or not on some of the departures..... this game of chopping and changing does no good.....

Archived