Controversial Derby Opinions

RamsFan10

Some controversial opinions about Derby that, when considered, actually seem relatively fair.

1) Steve Mac is not a good manager:

Best stints of his career have been with us, and all 3 seasons he's had with us he has bottled (Wembley, missing out on play offs and now this year with play offs a long, long shot). Everywhere he's gone he's been a terrible defensive coach, Pearson had the same defence hardly conceding. 

2) Will Hughes is not as good as everyone says:

Doesn't score enough, simple. A quality attacking midfielder scores goals, Hughes is only excellent at keeping play ticking, but is average going forward.

3) CBs are average at best:

Keogh is a bang average championship CB, after all these years no Prem team has showed any serious interest. Pearce was allowed to leave by Reading, he's slow and generally overrated after his purple patch this season. Shackell perhaps underrated at the moment. 

4) Our recruitment is frankly dreadful:

Vydra, Blackman, Camara, Butterfield, Johnson, Weimann, Anya - none have improved the team, most have been worse than what we had. Nugent - cost more than double Bogle at Wigan, surely a stupid signing for bit part appearances.

5) Bent can't be first choice striker:

Extremely controversial after his recent goal spell, he's been doing well recently. On the whole though, does his lack of creativity harm the team more than his goals aid us?

Not sure how much I agree with all of these, but certainly to be considered.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, RamsFan10 said:

Some controversial opinions about Derby that, when considered, actually seem relatively fair.

Best stints of his career have been with us, and all 3 seasons he's had with us he has bottled (Wembley, missing out on play offs and now this year with play offs a long, long shot). Everywhere he's gone he's been a terrible defensive coach, Pearson had the same defence hardly conceding. 

Doesn't score enough, simple. A quality attacking midfielder scores goals, Hughes is only excellent at keeping play ticking, but is average going forward.

Keogh is a bang average championship CB, after all these years no Prem team has showed any serious interest. Pearce was allowed to leave by Reading, he's slow and generally overrated after his purple patch this season. Shackell perhaps underrated at the moment. 

Vydra, Blackman, Camara, Butterfield, Johnson, Weimann, Anya - none have improved the team, most have been worse than what we had. Nugent - cost more than double Bogle at Wigan, surely a stupid signing for bit part appearances.

Extremely controversial after his recent goal spell, he's been doing well recently. On the whole though, does his lack of creativity harm the team more than his goals aid us?

Not sure how much I agree with all of these, but certainly to be considered.

Go away !!!

New signings and some players out in the summer is a must, but we have the nucleus of a great team.

In Mac we trust

3 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

Best stints of his career have been winning things at other clubs (Boro, twentie)

Wisdom outside of DCFC is that Mac is an awful manager.

If you only judge on goals scored then yes. If you watch him then no. The only reason he's still here is his goals scored is not as high as some far inferior players.

Not even remotely controversial.

See above.

1st choice by default.

4 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I dont think Bent is anywhere near as effective as Martin in terms of success as the lone forward. Dont doubt he can score goals, but his inclusion makes us weaker defensively

This is now starting to show in performance and goals, like end of 14/15 season when Martin got injured at Bournemouth

As I said, I'm not entirely convinced by all of these and don't stand by all of them fully. Wouldn't be surprised if we see the posts soon about how there's something wrong with our club behind the scenes, which usually get posted here and there towards the end of each season.

Very decent post really.

1. I think McClaren has skills - he's had success with Middlesbrough and the Dutch. But yeah he is a bit predictable and I wonder if he's ever going to get a whole consistent season. We're always ravaged by serious injuries to our best players though which can't help consistency. 

2. Ill need you to take back everything you said about Will. He's basically Jesus.

3. Decent defenders I think??

4. Awful recruitment. So much crap!

5. Poor Daz. But yeah - we need someone else up top. Although he is banging em in! 

6 minutes ago, Bris Vegas said:

I dont think Bent is anywhere near as effective as Martin in terms of success as the lone forward. Dont doubt he can score goals, but his inclusion makes us weaker defensively

Last time I looked Martin was out on loan to some club down south.

Bent is doing what he does 'score goals'.

We will have to rebuild in the summer. Mac is just doing what he can with what he has at his disposal

3 minutes ago, JaguarRam said:

Two games and the winning streak to even get us to this position is forgotten. We are a side that is a mix of 3 managers ideas of the players we need. Calm is needed and trust that SM will get us there. 

I think that's fair, the squad as a whole doesn't match any one formation (due the the board chopping managers)

cannot blame our current coach for this season. Bullyboy Pearson did that by playing a different system that didn't suit our squad and also shipping Martin out. We did well to catch up on Pearson's bad start for us.   The recruitment of most of the players mentioned came under Clement and Pearson, and as managers at the time would have had the last say in going for these players.

15 minutes ago, Lincolnshire Ram said:

Go away !!!

New signings and some players out in the summer is a must, but we have the nucleus of a great team.

In Mac we trust

This is the sort of thing that worries me. For some reasons some fans are convinced we have the nucleus of a promotion winning side, yet good championship teams are consistent, we are not. I think if we genuinely had such a good core of players we would not have bottled three years consecutively.

3 minutes ago, plymouthram said:

cannot blame our current coach for this season. Bullyboy Pearson did that by playing a different system that didn't suit our squad and also shipping Martin out. We did well to catch up on Pearson's bad start for us.   The recruitment of most of the players mentioned came under Clement and Pearson, and as managers at the time would have had the last say in going for these players.

Think you're right about Mac being at a disadvantage with the squad, but it's naive to overestimate how much of a hand the manager has in scouting. It's been poor for all 3 managers, the January window this time round was hardly productive, and those we did sign haven't bettered the side imo.

4 minutes ago, RamsFan10 said:

This is the sort of thing that worries me. For some reasons some fans are convinced we have the nucleus of a promotion winning side, yet good championship teams are consistent, we are not. I think if we genuinely had such a good core of players we would not have bottled three years consecutively.

Carson

Keogh

Thorne

Hughes

Martin

THAT is the backbone of a championship winning side or call me a carrot.

Trouble is they're never on the bloody pitch together!

Archived