Chris Martin signs new contract until 2020

Cam the Ram

I can't say that I'm massively surprised by this. I think it's safe to assume Martin was aware of a new bumper contract coming his way when he initially refused to turn out for Fulham. Publicising it now is just our final throw of the dice, or more likely a big fat middle finger to Fulham because I still can't see them letting him return before the summer.

Martin refusing to play (if true) is wrong, but us offering our own player an improved contract shouldn't really even be newsworthy. I'm happy we're getting a player I believe to be one of the best at championship level back, but this drama only serves to highlight what an appalling decision this loan was in the first place. I don't care who the new manager is, if he strides into the office suggesting that I loan my top striker to a rival because he doesn't get along with him, then he either gets an earful or his p45. Because we capitulated to blockhead Pearson's ludicrous demands we now find ourselves paying more per week for someone we already owned for no good reason.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Kernow said:

I don't have an account on the 'Friends of Fulham' forum but if you do, or you fancy making one, could you reply to post #13 on this thread for me: http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=56979.1260

The post reads: "Really don't see what Derby see in this guy?"

Simply quote the post and link this video, ta very much.

might be watching this again later with a few beers in me!

COYR!

40 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

Try before you buy.

Like we did with Thorne and Ince?

There's a fundamental difference. Both wanted to stay at Derby because it's great, and did.

Chris has realised that Fulham is the rectum of Battersea and wants to come home.

7 minutes ago, Lincolnshire Ram said:

Yes but he will help get us to the prem

Horses for courses

Did he get us up before? Did I miss something?

Even with the best Derby team I have seen in years, we did not go up. I just don't get this do what we did before mentality..

It failed then, as someone mentioned before he is in decline.. Perhaps a miracle of biblical proportions will happen.. I really hope so.

Last season people were saying he can't score without service... What has changed.. Steve Mac? I ain't seen he has changed much on that front. I saw some absolutely shocking displays from him last season. He was stale, arrogant and average.

15 minutes ago, Tombo said:

And Ibe. He wasn't ours. We didn't get to keep him. That's loans for you.

Youth loan, so always at risk of recall.

I've no problem with Martin coming back, signing a new contract whilst still on loan, or indeed us trying to cancel the loan early.

He's a fantastic player, easily my favourite centre forward of the last 20 years.

My gripe is putting his personal comments in the club statement tonight, it leaves him out to dry with the club who in all fairness offered him an escape route he grasped eagerly when it became clear he wasn't Blockheads cup of tea.

Fulham have done nothing wrong in this saga, yet I'm supposed to be delighted that our chief executive has acted in such an unprofessional way to counteract a deal he was happy to sign off?

Quite frankly, the longer Sam Rush is at the club, the less convinced I am that he's any good at his job.

1 minute ago, Angry Ram said:

Even with the best Derby team I have seen in years, we did not go up. I just don't get this do what we did before mentality..

It failed then, as someone mentioned before he is in decline.. Perhaps a miracle of biblical proportions will happen.. I really hope so.

Last season people were saying he can't score without service... What has changed.. I saw some absolutely shocking displays from him last season. He was stale, arrogant and average.

Well said.

Something I quote many times but as Einstein said the definition of insanity is trying the same thing time and time again and expecting different results.

Just now, TroyDyer said:

Extraordinary to me. 

I think the club should be moving forward. If for the 7 million we would reportedly get for CM, we can't strengthen the team with younger, hungrier players from unknown lands, then I worry. 

Have you not been paying attention to the transfer markets for the last three seasons? 7 million buys you feck all. So... start worrying.

1 minute ago, TroyDyer said:

Extraordinary to me. 

I think the club should be moving forward. If for the 7 million we would reportedly get for CM, we can't strengthen the team with younger, hungrier players from unknown lands, then I worry. 

Worry away. Mean time Martin continues to score shedloads of goals!

14 minutes ago, Angry Ram said:

Last season people were saying he can't score without service... What has changed.. Steve Mac? I ain't seen he has changed much on that front. I saw some absolutely shocking displays from him last season. He was stale, arrogant and average.

Someone did mention he was in decline but failed to back it up with any statistical evidence. To the contrary, he's a player in form and scoring for a team he doesn't want to be with. Hopefully that form continues when he's back where belongs and more importantly wants to be. The sooner the better in my eyes. It's  fair to say we did fail but we did come within a whisker of making it. Don't see any reason why we can't go that one step further. Ultimately that is what we all want. I for one wouldn't have any issue with that happening with a player I disliked in the team. All that matters is achieving that goal. COYR. 

1 hour ago, curtains said:

So what he is our player. 

We just lent him out and he didn't like it there. 

They should have signed him permanently.

Tight Fulham. 

No sympathy from us. 

Not at all.

reading between the lines it sounds as though we engineered that it was initially temporary, but they may have an option for an already agreed permanent deal.

our mess.

10 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Well said.

Something I quote many times but as Einstein said the definition of insanity is trying the same thing time and time again and expecting different results.

Maybe this time we should get cover in key positions instead of loaning or buying several lightweight wingers.

11 minutes ago, Simsy said:

Well said.

Am I right in assuming that if a door needs a new hinge, you would prefer to knock the entire house down and start again?

1 minute ago, TroyDyer said:

Extraordinary to me. 

It's a lot easier said than done though. There's obviously plenty of players better than Martin who would cost less than £7m from around the world, but there's no guarantee they'd be a success here. Look at Albentosa ... he joined after being one of the top defenders in La Liga with supposedly tons of clubs after him and he couldn't displace Buxton. We have £8m Vydra who has a good record at this level and he can't displace Bent. 

We have the chance to bring back our best striker in recent memory to work under a manager who got the best out of him. There's a chance he comes back and is rubbish and everyone who said 'move on' can say 'I told you so,' but there's a chance he comes back and we start to play the football that did so well for us in McClaren's first season. For me it's much safer bringing back Martin who knows most of the squad and McClaren's style than signing someone from abroad or one of these lower league gems in the hope they turn into stars.

2 hours ago, Kernow said:

I don't have an account on the 'Friends of Fulham' forum but if you do, or you fancy making one, could you reply to post #13 on this thread for me: http://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=56979.1260

The post reads: "Really don't see what Derby see in this guy?"

Simply quote the post and link this video, ta very much.

Just watching that video back and it's making me all excited to see the gang back together again.

614b508acf08cf8d6b05115bb3385984.png

Keogh, Russell, Martin and Hughes. :ph34r:

Archived