Chris Martin signs new contract until 2020

Cam the Ram

2 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Disappointing news. I must be in a small minority of thinking we can get better in 2017-18, whilst a great many seem unable to move on from 2013-14.

I share similar nagging doubts too, hope we're both proved wrong.

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you think this through his position at Fulham is now untenable. Imagine this scenario. Fulham keep him and play him. Last game of the season. Fulham are a point behind Derby in the fight for 6th place and the play offs. Our game finishes before theirs and we draw. Fulham get a penalty in injury time to win their game. Up steps Martin....

21 minutes ago, toddy said:

Why is everybody getting their knickers in a knot,  you might have forgotten we offered Martin the contract 3 weeks ago, it was to put a spanner in the works with Fulham, hence why Martin refused to play at Reading.

Things are the same as they were yesterday, except we are supposed to be paying him 30,000 a week now, I dare say Fulham are still paying their contracted amount 14000 or whatever it is. So we now hope that Fulham will send him back within 3 days, or else we are paying Martin a tidy sum  each week to play at a rival club till June.

We now have a situation whereby Fulham either send him back quickly, can keep him and risk an injury or just as bad sit him out till June. Absolutely bonkers.

Keep digging, @toddy. We can still see you at the bottom of the hole.

4 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Disappointing news. I must be in a small minority of thinking we can get better in 2017-18, whilst a great many seem unable to move on from 2013-14.

not so much disappointing news because I like Chris Martin, but more the inability to move on.

Just now, curtains said:

Don't some people realize they are slagging off Derby County with some of thes Chris Martin comments.

Why are they backing Fulham as Derby fans .

144376802_martin_497698c.jpg

Only the usual suspects.

The ones who were so against Steve McClaren's return and the ones who have never rated Martin, so we shouldn't be surprised.

2 minutes ago, curtains said:

Don't some people realise they are slagging off Derby County with some of these Chris Martin comments.

Why are they backing Fulham as Derby fans .

144376802_martin_497698c.jpg

Because we've behaved like total *****?

Don't get me starting on supporting Derby County either, with the amount of bitching and moaning you've done over the clubs transfer policy in recent years.

2 minutes ago, JuanFloEvraTheCocu'sNesta said:

I have applied a very simple thought process to this... Given our current system of play is Martin better than what we currently have? Yes, get him back.

Done.

How about this for a thought process. Are we doing OK without Martin? 

In fact we are doing great.

Just now, reveldevil said:

Because we've behaved like total *****?

Don't get me starting on supporting Derby County either, with the amount of bitching and moaning you've done over the clubs transfer policy in recent years.

By giving him a new contract?

Chris Martin is an employee of Derby County, and it is DCFC's business if they wish to offer a new contract. The fact that he is on loan at Fulham is completely irrelevant. The fact that Fulham may have an option to purchase Martin for a pre-set figure is also irrelevant.

At the end of the day, if Fulham meet the stipulated fee, then Martin would still have to accept a deal negotiated with Fulham, and would still have to sign a contract with them. If that happens, the fact that he has signed a new contract with Derby securing his future with The Rams becomes irrelevant.

The ball is still in Fulham's court. If they keep Martin for the rest of the season, then there is the second half of the loan fee becomes due. What is interesting is if Fulham would be paying all of Martin's enhanced salary between now and the end of the season, or whether the difference between what he was earning in August to what he is reported to be earning now would be paid by Derby.

I don't know that, you don't know that - only @toddy does.

Just now, Simsy said:

Yes doing great !! Great own goal when an experienced player panicked on the goal line, Fulham are playing great with Martins link up, just can't see how and why Fulham want to try and keep him it's all madness. 

2 minutes ago, Simsy said:

We are doing fine, but I can say with great confidence that if we had a striker capable of holding the ball up and linking with the midfield we would be doing a lot better. Bent has done an admirable job but that is not his game.

2 minutes ago, Simsy said:

But we can do better.

The football still doesn't flow,I want it to be fantastic again and a good hold up striker is the key to releasing our midfield properly.....And few do it better than Martin...Who already fits in and knows what Mac wants.

Not sure it's necessarily wise to include his comments in the press release for the new contract. Obviously the club are trying to force the issue before Tuesday.

I'm a bit conflicted with how it's gone. I would be furious if this was a player on loan at Derby. On the other hand though, we have been taken advantage of so many times in the past that I have a perverse sense of pride that we have finally realised that football is a dirty business and you need to play dirty sometimes to get the best result for you.

Absoultely delighted if he comes back though. They say absence makes the heart grow fonder, but no absence was required for me too realise how stupid a decision it was to let him go in the first place.

Archived