Chris Martin signs new contract until 2020

Cam the Ram

Reacting to the news, Derby boss McClaren said: “We are delighted that Chris Martin has decided to commit his long-term future to Derby County by signing this new contract. 

“Chris is currently with Fulham, a decision made by the previous manager, but everyone knows that I rate Chris very highly indeed and fortunately we ensured the deal was only temporary. 

“I know how much Chrissie loves Derby and therefore, I am really pleased that he has accepted the offer to extend his deal with the club until the summer of 2020. 

“I look forward to working with him again once he returns to the club.”

After penning his new deal, Martin said: “I really am excited and happy to be signing this new contract with Derby County. 

“At the start of this season I was not in the previous manager’s plans, which is a decision that I completely understood and respected. 

“As a result I had the opportunity to move to Fulham on loan, which gave me the chance to play first-team football elsewhere. 

“I am thankful that the board only allowed the move on a temporary basis, because I really didn’t want to leave Derby and my family is settled in the area too. 

“Derby County is a fantastic club with so many things going for it and driven desire to reach the Premier League. I am very happy that the club and the manager see me as part of the long-term future. I am committed to being as successful as I possibly can be with Derby County. 

“I enjoyed playing under Steve McClaren in the past and I feel that he got the best out of me, so I look forward to doing so as soon as possible.”

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/2016-17/chris-martin-signs-new-contract-with-derby-county-3541968.aspx#UIhCx5T3CApLbiH4.99

• Replies 904
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

His future is committed. He won't give two ***** about playing for Fulham anymore, rightly or wrongly. 

We're forcing their hand. I think he'll be back before Tuesday close. 

Those comments have been made on purpose. Next season isn't mentioned at all.

Doubt it'll change much to be honest. Fulham were standing very firm at the start of the window when Martin was supposedly being awkward. Can't see them changing that stance now when there's even less time to find a replacement. It just means Martin is in for a rather tough few months .... every mistake he makes will be over-criticised by their fans and maybe even their manager.

Archived