Birmingham after Johnny Russell

Day

4 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

I personally think that they are are all worse than russell...his only problem is not having a Martin type to feed balls too and from around the penalty area....if Nugent can play anything like that Russell will be scoring and supplying the ball for him.

And if not,Martin will be back and the system is back in play again.

Russell hasn't stopped performing,the system we play isn't anywhere near complete at the moment 

Yep totally agree, let's sell our best and replace them with the ones not good enough to win a spot in the side.

in fact let's sell everybody who everyone else wants you know Russell Hendrick Martin and let's see what kind of a team we are left with? Because with that logic Ince and Hughes are the next two out the door and hey it doesn't matter we made money on those, so what if we are a worse team.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like JR but have to a "sometimes" to that on the basis of missing bits of skill. BUT ?..The one thing with Johnny, over and above anything connected with skill, is that when he puts the shirt on he gives his best effort. We have too many players that go off the boil if the vibe isn't right. JR isn't one of them. If there is a fight I'd want Johnny on my side. He isn't a premier league player but we aren't in the premier league  and Johny Russell adds spirit to any team. Mental strength. 

15 minutes ago, Charlie G said:

The left back position is currently causing us our biggest problems and to be looking to sell the only wide man who protects the full back would be a massive mistake. 

Sort out the fullback issue then choose the best wide player irrespective of his defensive qualities. To do otherwise is just asking for trouble.

1 hour ago, G-Ram said:

He can go for me 

he's been a good player, has a good work rate but he's an average championship player that is it

let him go and buy someone better with more end product 

We have an abundance of average championship players who don't have the same work rate, far from the top of the list to move on.

1 hour ago, G-Ram said:

He can go for me 

he's been a good player, has a good work rate but he's an average championship player that is it

let him go and buy someone better with more end product 

Such as?

Before this season he was producing either a goal or an assist every 161 minutes. 

Only Ince, Sakho and Ritchie can say they've produced more regularly than that. 

Keep Russell until the side's functional again and then make a decision.

14 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

We have an abundance of average championship players who don't have the same work rate, far from the top of the list to move on.

Whilst having a huge paddy and rant about the decision to GIVE Chris Martin away and getting quite irate about people wanting "triers" in our side, when it comes to Johnny Russell I'll say this.

At the minute he's been out of form and not got a settled full back behind him who he can form an understanding with.

And whilst yes at times his decision making can be suspect he truly loves playing for Derby county.

When he's in a good vein of form he gets into games and things happen. 

He'll try to influence games as much as he can and had never shyed away from anything any manager has asked him to do. 

Every side needs this kind of player to compliment the so called luxury players.

Some of our squad wouldn't be missed at all and in weeks will be forgotten as Derby players.

Johnny has carved himself a niche in club history like others such as Bobby Davison or Robin Van Der Laan. 

And if he's done that by playing at his maximum week in week out then so be it.

Its not like he's been garbage for the rams and I for one will never knock him. 

I've slagged Russell of to the hills recently and he's deserved it all because he has been awful going forward but Friday showed how he is needed to help out defending, but it's a poor do when a winger is better st defending than attacking....

He's not the best winger in the league, far from it. We could definitely get better than him, but right now we don't have that. We play with two wingers, and in my opinion Johnny is our second best winger. Tom Ince is by far the best winger at the club, one of the best in the league. If we had another Tom Ince on the wing, we'd be a class act.

But in reality, if we get rid of Russell who do we have that can play out wide? Weimann, Camara, Blackman, Anya, maybe Vydra at a push? All, in my opinion, not as good as Johnny on that left hand side. For a side to potentially challenge at the top of this league then yes, better quality is needed. I think he's still easily good enough to be in a promotion challenging, and perhaps promotion winning squad though.

Sign a top quality winger, fine, we do need one, but I'd still keep Johnny. Selling him would make our squad weaker and there are a few I would be much happier to see the back of before Russell goes.

We need better than him, but unless we've got a deal lined up then it would be a mistake to sell him beforehand. There's no point in buying more squad players, we've got a squad good enough for promotion, but our starting 11 isn't there yet so we must buy someone of real quality and comparable to Ince before selling Russell 

Also a little bit of perspective. He cost us £750k. The players I listed in my above post have cost £10.5mil collectively. £18.5mil if you count Vydra as somebody who can be deployed on the wing. That's an awful lot of money and still, none of those offer as much to our side as JR does.

I know we got him before the market became as inflated as it is now, but you try and find a winger who could improve our starting 11 for that price and I think you'd have a pretty difficult job.

Archived