Official: Tom Ince joins Huddersfield Town

Nuwtfly

1 minute ago, admira said:

So far I fail to see how selling our best two players is going to improve our team. 

We were way off challenging by the end last season and now we are even further away. Not happy 

Perhaps you could argue that our team is already better off than it was last season. The starting line up will not include Hughes & Ince but will include Thorne & Martin. I'd say that's an upgrade especially in terms of having players that can do what Rowett requires of them. We've also swapped Christie for Wisdom & Looks like Keogh for Davies, and of course Fozzy is back in the line up. I'd say the team is shaping up nicely and Gary is yet to spend the £20m net revenue. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

So basically we will have sold our three best players and the spine of the team for the grand sum of £22 million.

Fulham rejected a bid of £20 million from Newcastle for Tom Cairney alone.

Breathtakingly bad business on our part, even when you take into the players' desire to leave and an obvious need to sell.

Let's hope the remaining players in the squad step up or we can broker similarly shrewd deals like we did for Davies and Wisdom.

If we are going to sell Ince for £10 million and Keogh for £4 million, I really don't see us spending millions on players like Jota, Jackson Irvine, Ollie Watkins, and Marc Roberts. After all, that's what it will take to prise such players away from their clubs.

If the deals for Keogh and Ince go through, it's going to take something special to restore optimism amongst the masses, I think.

It's not the fact we are selling our best players, it's those prices! :huh:

Why would what we are selling our players for affect optimism in any way?

For me, it's the fact we're selling our best players but some of our worst players seem to be staying put. 

Are we really getting rid of Ince to keep paying Weimann and Blackman's wages? I really want to see players (who aren't neccesarilly awful) like those two, Butterfield, Bent, Olsson and Shackell leave as well. I understand they'll take longer to get rid of but right now it's depressing. We can't be going another season with players earning high end championship wages making up our bench.

Hope there's a load more departures because right now this isn't a rebuild, it's assett stripping.

1 minute ago, EnigmaRam said:

Until they get sold!

I could have accepted Hughes going.....but bitterly disappointed to lose Ince. My gut feeling is that we are going to have a team and style of play similar to what we had under Quasimodo ie strong, physical and difficult to beat. Perhaps that is the new Derby way???

4 minutes ago, admira said:

So far I fail to see how selling our best two players is going to improve our team. 

We were way off challenging by the end last season and now we are even further away. Not happy 

They want to leave!

So you're saying keep them under contract and stop them playing at the highest level and earning shed loads of money?

What if they sulk and don't then perform ( which Hughes hasn't really for 2 seasons including injury)? Does Mel ground them, dock their wages? Fans continue to boo them and hammer them on Twitter?

Football is run by the players/agents now so let the club do what they feel is right and I reckon the side that is put out for the first game will not only look good on paper but be fit for purpose i.e. more pace and power. 

The only scenario that would annoy me and not make sense is selling Keogh to a promotion rival, then again some folk think we'll be down the bottom end next season ?

6 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Could it be because the higher the fee we receive, the more we have to spend (theoretically to get better players, though our track record over the last 2-3 seasons could impact on that optimism)?

6 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

For me, it's the fact we're selling our best players but some of our worst players seem to be staying put. 

Are we really getting rid of Ince to keep paying Weimann and Blackman's wages? I really want to see players (who aren't neccesarilly awful) like those two, Butterfield, Bent, Olsson and Shackell leave as well. I understand they'll take longer to get rid of but right now it's depressing. We can't be going another season with players earning high end championship wages making up our bench.

Hope there's a load more departures because right now this isn't a rebuild, it's assett stripping.

There will be buyers for players once teams take shape and it appears that their game time will be limited, there is no way that Shackell at his age will sit on the bench especially as GR will be trying to trim the higher earners.

As I keep saying, judge the squad once the season starts.

1 minute ago, Andicis said:

Funny joke. Even funnier, is Derby fans actively willing us to sell our best players.

Didn't want to sell Will and dont want to sell Ince, unfortunately one has gone and i think the other one is going. We are now getting pay back from spending too much dosh a season ago or so. We need to balance our FFP books if we want to strengthen. People dont want our dross ( sorry lesser attractive players) they want our decent ones. Lot of pressure on GR this season

5 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

It doesn't leave us in a position of strength if we want to go out and replace those players.

£22 million won't go very far in this current market, if we are the buying club, let's be honest.

We were some way off challenging for promotion last year, and to lose three key players in one window, it doesn't bode well for next year either.

Of course, time will tell. But it is asking a lot of this current group to still challenge for promotion after all of these sales.

2 minutes ago, Woodley Ram said:

Didn't want to sell Will and dont want to sell Ince, unfortunately one has gone and i think the other one is going. We are now getting pay back from spending too much dosh a season ago or so. We need to balance our FFP books if we want to strengthen. People dont want our dross ( sorry lesser attractive players) they want our decent ones. Lot of pressure on GR this season

Agree with you, FFP may be an issue, however I think in this case it's probably Ince wanting to go to the Premier League too. It's looking like a dreadful window so far, with us selling two of our most skillfull players, without bringing in any advanced players and only defenders.. We struggled with goals for large parts of last season, and selling Ince is honestly the worst thing we could have done to address that problem. I think the whole saga just demonstrated how poorly we've been run and managed in the Mel Morris era. 

15 minutes ago, Seth's left foot said:

The only scenario that would annoy me and not make sense is selling Keogh to a promotion rival, then again some folk think we'll be down the bottom end next season ?

That would be as stupid as loaning your top scorer to a Championship rival that then get in the play offs and you don't. Imagine that!

The only light at the end of the tunnel is this.

Fergie sold Hughes, Ince and Kanchelskis, replaced them with kids and the rest is history!

Rowett sold  Hughes and Ince so just needs to sell Keogh-chelskis and we're on our way to the treble!

10 minutes ago, Wolfie20 said:

Could it be because the higher the fee we receive, the more we have to spend (theoretically to get better players, though our track record over the last 2-3 seasons could impact on that optimism)?

But I thought people didn't want us spending big fees anymore because it was making us a laughing stock and our recruitment is poor?

21 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Perhaps you could argue that our team is already better off than it was last season. The starting line up will not include Hughes & Ince but will include Thorne & Martin. I'd say that's an upgrade especially in terms of having players that can do what Rowett requires of them. We've also swapped Christie for Wisdom & Looks like Keogh for Davies, and of course Fozzy is back in the line up. I'd say the team is shaping up nicely and Gary is yet to spend the £20m net revenue. 

Imagine if it included, Thorne, Martin, Hughes AND ince.

19 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

The problem for me is that if Keogh goes, and Wisdom and Davies are coming in, the back 4 are getting worse and worse on the ball.  So Thorne is going to be getting less possession out from the back, and going to be less and less effective.  And if we're not getting midfielders on the ball and playing into Martin's feet, he's going to be less effective as well.  

4 minutes ago, Jourdan said:

It doesn't leave us in a position of strength if we want to go out and replace those players.

£22 million won't go very far in this current market, if we are the buying club, let's be honest.

We were some way off challenging for promotion last year, and to lose three key players in one window, it doesn't bode well for next year either.

Of course, time will tell. But it is asking a lot of this current group to still challenge for promotion after all of these sales.

£22m is more than adequate to replace Keogh, Hughes and Ince. 

We've already replaced Keogh with 2 players for £2.5m so that leaves £20m to replace Hughes and Ince.

Arguably one of the best midfielders in this division last year (Mooy) has just moved for £10m.

Let's not also forget that Rowett has 8 players that never kicked a ball for him last season (Lowe, Forsyth, Shackell, Thorne, Hanson, Weimann, Blackman and Martin) now available.

The last thing we need is even more signings until these guys have either been given a chance or shipped out.

People are getting way too wrapped up in transfer fees when in reality it doesn't matter unless it is forcing us to sell players.

27 minutes ago, Parsnip said:

Sense at last ☺ 

Archived