Official: Tom Ince joins Huddersfield Town

Nuwtfly

20 minutes ago, Andicis said:

No, but Wisdom was brought in to play RB, as I stated earlier up, if you read the interview after signing, it makes it clear that first and foremost he's a right back.

Does it? I can't remember reading that, do you have the link? I remember something non-specific about position played and I wondered if it related to the role he played last ie centre-half.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, duncanjwitham said:

The problem for me is that if Keogh goes, and Wisdom and Davies are coming in, the back 4 are getting worse and worse on the ball.  So Thorne is going to be getting less possession out from the back, and going to be less and less effective.  And if we're not getting midfielders on the ball and playing into Martin's feet, he's going to be less effective as well.  

You make it sound as though Keogh is Franco Baresi! He ain't. For whatever passing ability you insist Keogh has, I'd say he's been more likely to run the ball into trouble or pass a teammate into trouble then ping out a worldie pass! 

Now Buxton could pass! 

I can understand him wanting to play in the prem, but with Huddersfield town? IMO I can see them coming straight back down. He might as well stay with the mighty rams who will get promoted next season, win the league and win the champions league Istanbul style. Huddersfield will be in conference league in 5 years time. Silly move from Incey! :D

5 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Does it? I can't remember reading that, do you have the link? I remember something non-specific about position played and I wondered if it related to the role he played last ie centre-half.

https://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/2017/06/rowett-andre-was-top-of-our-list

Reading between the lines implies he's brought in to play fullback, but can play CB if needed.

7 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Reading between the lines implies he's brought in to play fullback, but can play CB if needed.

Rowett, a defender during his own playing days, feels that Wisdom is a conservative full-back who can also provide defensive flexibility.

Maybe where the article on the official club website says the manager sees him as a full-back eh? Do you think we could Direct Message everyone who thinks he's gonna play CB with this? :D

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Right, that's the later interview, he says that he's watched Wisdom play at Salzberg. So I guess that maybe 'play CB if need be' might be if we sell Keogh? I guess we'll find out soon enough. :)

Just now, cheron85 said:

Rowett, a defender during his own playing days, feels that Wisdom is a conservative full-back who can also provide defensive flexibility.

The original piece said something more non-committal, and I forgot I'd read that second article. It also says about smaller squad and versatility plus he saw him in Salzberg - so maybe were he plays depends on whose left?

Just now, RoyMac5 said:

Right, that's the later interview, he says that he's watched Wisdom play at Salzberg. So I guess that maybe 'play CB if need be' might be if we sell Keogh? I guess we'll find out soon enough. :)

He's obviously referring to injury cover - You wouldn't say "if needed" if that was the intention of where to play him

I would imagine IF we sell Keogh then Pearce would be ahead of Wisdom in the CB pecking order - Since Wisdom seems to have been brought in as our first choice RB

1 hour ago, duncanjwitham said:

The problem for me is that if Keogh goes, and Wisdom and Davies are coming in, the back 4 are getting worse and worse on the ball.  So Thorne is going to be getting less possession out from the back, and going to be less and less effective.  And if we're not getting midfielders on the ball and playing into Martin's feet, he's going to be less effective as well.  

I think Rowett is pretty clear that he no longer wants our centre backs with the ball at their feet for 30 minutes every game.

He's not interested in possesion for possessions sake stats.

Even if Keogh goes, we still have Davies, Pearce, Shackell, Rawson at centre back. Wisdom and Baird can both play there as cover (and would probably start ahead of Rawson).  But I think Davies, Pearce, Shackell would be the main centre backs 

4 minutes ago, Ted McMinn Football Genius said:

Have we or haven't we sold Tom Ince, just got in from work and I can't make head nor tail of whether he remains a Ram or has become a ? 

We haven't sold him (yet). It's just it's reported by the BBC as close which means it looks pretty much certain as they rarely publish stories unless they have very good sources

11 minutes ago, cheron85 said:

Maybe where the article on the official club website says the manager sees him as a full-back eh? Do you think we could Direct Message everyone who thinks he's gonna play CB with this? :D

I feel like that would take an awful lot of time! I've seen so many comments with it on, but evidently, he's being bought as a right back, not a centre back.

Another point is, today will show us how close to FFP we are. Since, tomorrow it ticks to the next year on FFP, if we have to quickly offload Keogh or Ince today, it'll show us that we're getting close. If we are happy to do it afterwards, means we have a small amount of more breathing room. I hope it is the latter, not the former.

30 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

You make it sound as though Keogh is Franco Baresi! He ain't. For whatever passing ability you insist Keogh has, I'd say he's been more likely to run the ball into trouble or pass a teammate into trouble then ping out a worldie pass! 

Now Buxton could pass! 

What total drivel

Another point is, today will show us how close to FFP we are. Since, tomorrow it ticks to the next year on FFP, if we have to quickly offload Keogh or Ince today, it'll show us that we're getting close. If we are happy to do it afterwards, means we have a small amount of more breathing room. I hope it is the latter, not the former.

Even if we sold a player today, it doesn't mean the (first) payment would come in today. So I don't think it actually would mean that in practice

2 minutes ago, feisty said:

Even if we sold a player today, it doesn't mean the (first) payment would come in today. So I don't think it actually would mean that in practice

Maybe it would be registered in the accounts however? Obviously, I doubt a payment would be incoming, but maybe if it's marked as revenue in the finances for FFP, then it may clear up breathing room from FFP? I don't understand too much how FFP in particular works, I'm making assumptions.

Maybe it would be registered in the accounts however? Obviously, I doubt a payment would be incoming, but maybe if it's marked as revenue in the finances for FFP, then it may clear up breathing room from FFP? I don't understand too much how FFP in particular works, I'm making assumptions.

I'm not totally sure but I think that is highly unlikely. I think revenue can only be booked when it is received. I think we're all wanting to clutch at straws to get some comfort on how close to FFP we are. That's not a criticism of you at all. I'd like to know as well.

I think unless Mel or someone official talks about it in an interview we won't really know

22 minutes ago, Andicis said:

I feel like that would take an awful lot of time! I've seen so many comments with it on, but evidently, he's being bought as a right back, not a centre back.

Unless of course "conservative full-back" is somehow secret code for "centre-back"?

Archived