Official: Tom Ince joins Huddersfield Town

Nuwtfly

2 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I can't understand the logic of selling a top performing player for a large transfer fee then replacing them with another top performing player with a similar transfer fee,  why not just keep the original player in the first place? Which says to me we will be getting a downgraded version of Ince for a far smaller fee otherwise I can't understand the logic of selling him in the first place 

Have to agree. I do worry. 

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, AmberRamber said:

What we don't want to see is what has been happening, defender to midfielder one twos constantly. 

That's happening because of structural issues with the way the team is set out though.  We sit too deep, so there's a big gap between the midfield and attack, the forwards get isolated and we struggle to get quality passes into their feet.  We move the ball too slowly - mainly because of poor technique in a number of positions (Shackell and Johnson being the prime offenders), so opposing defences have time to get set against us.  We have too many players that only look to make runs in behind (Vydra, Weimann, Bent, Anya and so on), so whenever a midfielder does pick the ball up, all of the forwards are running away from him, not showing for a pass.  

What's worrying me, is that we've signed Curtis Davies (slow, so we sit deep) and Wisdom (poor on the ball).  And we've lost Hughes (who can play those more difficult passes into forwards feet, when other players can't) and Ince (who's slightly more willing to drop deep and show for passes).  That's just going to exacerbate the issues above, rather than fix them.

Obviously there's more signings to come, so I don't want to completely jump to conclusions yet, but I don't see how we're going to be playing out from the back with the squad we have, and I don't see how we're going to play direct with the squad we have.

1 minute ago, CHCDerby said:

No, but we've made a profit and we move on

That's it, the club is a business when all is said and done!

If we can make decent profits on all players sold that come through either the academy or are purchased from other clubs at the right price that's what we will always do. Real Madrid we ain't ? ??

Lets see what 2017-18 has in store for us ??????

Hope the Ince family believe the grass is greener. Not sour grapes from me here but come on..... HUDDERSFIELD! I bet if you asked Tom and his wonky eye dad Paul if they thought golden balls would be playing for Huddersfield in his mid 20's he would have laughed you out the room. They could easily end up like his former club Blackpool in 3-4 seasons. Good luck Tom, all the best but hope they not gonna rely on you for a relegation scrap. Tat-taaaa!

1 minute ago, Redcar said:

Hope the Ince family believe the grass is greener. Not sour grapes from me here but come on..... HUDDERSFIELD! I bet if you asked Tom and his wonky eye dad Paul if they thought golden balls would be playing for Huddersfield in his mid 20's he would have laughed you out the room. They could easily end up like his former club Blackpool in 3-4 seasons. Good luck Tom, all the best but hope they not gonna rely on you for a relegation scrap. Tat-taaaa!

But they are in the Premier League NOW. Who knows what they will be like in 3-4 years, look at Bournemouth! Tom Ince has just bettered himself, he's not thinking about Derby right now, he's thinking about his next phase of life, and that's playing Premier League football, just like every 25 year old footballer should think.

We should have only praise for Ince, he's played well for us and also made a profit for the club. The boy could have done no more.

I would like to wish young Tom all the best (if this deal happens) and thank him for his efforts.

Just a shame we couldn't take him and Will to the Premier League we just haven't been consistent enough and that's that for me.

No sour ? here on my part with regards to Tom, business is business.

So good luck to you in the Top Flight, show the world what you can really do ??

Sky are saying that the fee is £11m - no mention of add ons just at the minute £8.5m up front with the rest in installments. I think this is a fair enough deal.

"Negotiations are continuing over the structure of the deal, with Huddersfield to pay an initial £8.5m but seeking to structure future payments over a designated period, whereas Derby would prefer as much of the cash up-front as possible."

4 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

Rowett says he has a replacement lined up, happy days

Rowett said he had a replacement lined up that's all.  He didn't say the replacement would be of a similar or better skill level than Ince nor mentioned similar work rate, passing ability, shooting prowess. Don't read too much into Rowetts statement.

7 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

I can't understand the logic of selling a top performing player for a large transfer fee then replacing them with another top performing player with a similar transfer fee,  why not just keep the original player in the first place? Which says to me we will be getting a downgraded version of Ince for a far smaller fee otherwise I can't understand the logic of selling him in the first place 

maybe its due to the FP thing but then again didnt jim smith do something very similar on his way to building the best pst BC that weve ever had.Like the saying goes you cant make omelets without cracking eggs

1 minute ago, DCFC1388 said:

Sky are saying that the fee is £11m - no mention of add ons just at the minute £8.5m up front with the rest in installments. I think this is a fair enough deal.

"Negotiations are continuing over the structure of the deal, with Huddersfield to pay an initial £8.5m but seeking to structure future payments over a designated period, whereas Derby would prefer as much of the cash up-front as possible."

Good profit on our investment, it's a win/win situation. 

Some might not like it and the doomsayers are going to be in overdrive. 

But ? happens.  

2 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

Rowett said he had a replacement lined up that's all.  He didn't say the replacement would be of a similar or better skill level than Ince nor mentioned similar work rate, passing ability, shooting prowess. Don't read too much into Rowetts statement.

Actually, he said "Should Tom leave, we would be looking at a very, very high quality replacement."

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/derby-county-manager-gary-rowett-gives-a-transfer-update-on-winger-tom-ince/story-30416548-detail/story.html#Y4FAtC8QFkKO7vKx.99

14 minutes ago, Inglorius said:

That ignores the human element

Ince wants to go to the Premier League - We are not in the Premier League - Huddersfield are

xxxx at same price and same quality wants to come play at Derby - Either because we offer them more money or it's a step up for them or they want more game time etc etc - So we get them instead 

10 minutes ago, CHCDerby said:

I don't know why people are getting so uptight with it all. Got him for 4.75m and selling him for double. Rowett says he has a replacement lined up, happy days.

Don't forget, Ince hasn't helped us reach the Premier League for 3 seasons just like the rest.

But I would argue that it is more to do with the players around him. I would rather see othe players leave before but you can only sell if you have a buyer. Good start needed by GR otherwise the vultures will be circling. 

2 minutes ago, Nuwtfly said:

Being pedantic Rowett said we would be looking at a high quality replacement he didn't say we would be buying a high quality replacement. Semantics maybe.

Just now, Inglorius said:

Being pedantic Rowett said we would be looking at a high quality replacement he didn't say we would be buying a high quality replacement. Semantics maybe.

How can he say he's going to buy him when that chance hasn't arose yet. They obviously know their targets and have planned in advance.

Rowett is no mug like a lot still think.

Archived