George Thorne

DarkFruitsRam7

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 21:16, MuespachRam said:

In your opinion of course...

my opinion is that he is ok, a nice average championship player no better than that. 

On ‎27‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 21:23, MuespachRam said:

Ha ha. A very late entry for “joke of the year” but I think you have won with that one. 

In my opinion you're wrong on both counts.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who is then? Yeah no-one. But us fans have to enjoy watching players play.

Increasingly looking like that's in the past Roy,at least the kind that you,me,ellafella etc like to watch in any case.

Many on here will retort that they prefer the way rowetts gets the team to play and they enjoy that more.....not my cup of tea at all but fair enough,it's horses for courses.

I'd expect Martin and thorne to move on,their intricate skills and play making don't suit this new set up but would be appreciated by other teams I'm sure...

Looks like Mac is coming back to look after Sheffield united and I wouldn't be surprised if both don't end up following him there

If it's the case,I'll enjoy watching how they get on....I'm sure they would get more playing time there and it's something else for me to follow.

8 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

Increasingly looking like that's in the past Roy,at least the kind that you,me,ellafella etc like to watch in any case.

Many on here will retort that they prefer the way rowetts gets the team to play and they enjoy that more.....not my cup of tea at all but fair enough,it's horses for courses.

I'd expect Martin and thorne to move on,their intricate skills and play making don't suit this new set up but would be appreciated by other teams I'm sure...

Looks like Mac is coming back to look after Sheffield united and I wouldn't be surprised if both don't end up following him there

If it's the case,I'll enjoy watching how they get on....I'm sure they would get more playing time there and it's something else for me to watch.

Wednesday, I think Kash

9 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Who is then? Yeah no-one. But us fans have to enjoy watching players play.

Vydra? Bloody love watching him play now , but in all fairness we have to be at a point where no player is the be all and end all if you want success,personally I rate Thorne and hope he stays but he’s not at his best yet and is being handled better than any time he has returned from injury with us , say what you like but rowett is no fool and a fully fit/motivated  George is very much a rowett type player , if he commits with a new contract ,is fully fit and motivated to fight for and keep his place then he will be in rowett s team and he will improve it of that I have no doubts 

1 hour ago, archied said:

... but in all fairness we have to be at a point where no player is the be all and end all if you want success...

I don't get this at all. It was thrown at Mac because of Martin and Thorne owing to injuries and formation. But really if you don't have standout players and play to their strengths then you have to ask how good we'd ever be. I agree a team should be greater than the sum of its parts, but if you have individual talent or a successful way of playing why change.

11 hours ago, ilkleyram said:

Wednesday, I think Kash

he has appeared in some bookie lists. Thats it.

To say players are following him to Wednesday at this stage is pretty ridiculous.

Also wednesday have more forwards than you can shake a stick at. martin aint going there unless some leave first.

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

he has appeared in some bookie lists. Thats it.

To say players are following him to Wednesday at this stage is pretty ridiculous.

Also wednesday have more forwards than you can shake a stick at. martin aint going there unless some leave first.

On 27/12/2017 at 22:37, jagerbob said:

Jesus ****ing wept.

that is all!

I understand Ledley's been very good, in fact ended up being exactly what Rowett needed for a cautious style but I think Thorne covers his skill set very well.

But I think people have bought into the mythos of Ledley a bit too much. Yes, his arrival coincided with a big upturn in form but he's just one cog in a very well oiled defensive machine. Carson, Baird, Keogh, Davies, Huddlestone and Forsyth have also had a massive part to play in us being so solid defensively. 

It's not like Ledley is turning a faulty back 5 into world beaters, they're all very solid. I think his discipline has made a great difference when you compare him to Johnson, who can be a bit headless when you stick him deep and give him the ball.

Our set up is extremely cautious, it prioritises defensive solidity so it's no surprise we've been so tight when we commit sometimes 8 players to defending (when we play Johnson on the wing).

What Ledley brings to that midfield is nous. He's defensively disciplined, rarely caught out of position, tidy enough on the ball and just a solid partner for Huddlestone. Huddlestone does his bit defensively but he's there to create as well.

But Thorne also has all those qualities? He's immense defensively, clearly got the defensive  and probably more athletic than Ledley, even now. He was one of the best defensive mids in the league in 15/16 when he played regularly and that was anchoring a defence on his own, which you can't do to the standard Thorne did without a good defensive brain. If he was playing now he'd be partnered with Huddlestone, who's hardly a defensive liability.

For me, I don't think we'd lose much if any defensive solidity by playing Thorne instead of Ledley but would definitely gain more control of the ball. When we're playing with a really mobile front 4, having two DM's who can spray it like Huddlestone and Thorne is only going to make us better.

Whilst he's not exactly my type of player, i think Ledley has made a huge difference.

he constantly makes himself available for a pass with the result that we play out and have stopped hoofing it so much. He brings calmness and control. Him and tom together press and suffocate opposition attacks. 

he's totally happy to fill in to plug gaps which gives others the license to attack. 

Like everyone else i love george but he is a million miles from the george of old. It will next season before he is really in contention for a starting place, assuming we have sorted his contract, and he hasn't broken something else.

31 minutes ago, Leicester Ram said:

I understand Ledley's been very good, in fact ended up being exactly what Rowett needed for a cautious style but I think Thorne covers his skill set very well.

But I think people have bought into the mythos of Ledley a bit too much. Yes, his arrival coincided with a big upturn in form but he's just one cog in a very well oiled defensive machine. Carson, Baird, Keogh, Davies, Huddlestone and Forsyth have also had a massive part to play in us being so solid defensively. 

It's not like Ledley is turning a faulty back 5 into world beaters, they're all very solid. I think his discipline has made a great difference when you compare him to Johnson, who can be a bit headless when you stick him deep and give him the ball.

Our set up is extremely cautious, it prioritises defensive solidity so it's no surprise we've been so tight when we commit sometimes 8 players to defending (when we play Johnson on the wing).

What Ledley brings to that midfield is nous. He's defensively disciplined, rarely caught out of position, tidy enough on the ball and just a solid partner for Huddlestone. Huddlestone does his bit defensively but he's there to create as well.

But Thorne also has all those qualities? He's immense defensively, clearly got the defensive  and probably more athletic than Ledley, even now. He was one of the best defensive mids in the league in 15/16 when he played regularly and that was anchoring a defence on his own, which you can't do to the standard Thorne did without a good defensive brain. If he was playing now he'd be partnered with Huddlestone, who's hardly a defensive liability.

For me, I don't think we'd lose much if any defensive solidity by playing Thorne instead of Ledley but would definitely gain more control of the ball. When we're playing with a really mobile front 4, having two DM's who can spray it like Huddlestone and Thorne is only going to make us better.

I read this post, and can't disagree with a single word.

Then I look at the stats, and think Thorne is tailor made to replace Tom, not Ledley.

This goes against the evidence of my own eyes, which agrees with your sentiment.

I just think Ledleys got good karma or ju-ju or something, and it shouldn't be disturbed.

Soz.

1 minute ago, reveldevil said:

I read this post, and can't disagree with a single word.

Then I look at the stats, and think Thorne is tailor made to replace Tom, not Ledley.

This goes against the evidence of my own eyes, which agrees with your sentiment.

I just think Ledleys got good karma or ju-ju or something, and it shouldn't be disturbed.

Soz.

Yeah, that's fair. I think you could partner all three and have success but Hudds and Thorne would be my preferred two.

I think Rowett buys into Ledley as a player, leader and person though. Every manager has a player who he sees as his representative on the pitch, it's not necessarily his captain but a player who embodies his style/philosophy.

I think he has similar feelings about Nugent.

28 minutes ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Just a thought, but suppose ledley gets injured for a fair chunk of the second half the season.

I could see Thorn/Huddleston working.

There’s the good bit ,, any of the three together as the two would work 

1 hour ago, archied said:

There’s the good bit ,, any of the three together as the two would work 

i disagree. Thorne and Huddlestone are too similar, but Ledley really does offer something different.

Our midfield wouldnt be as good with no ledley. neither thorne nor huds could do Ledleys job. That is why he is so important to us. hes a perfect folly for either of the other 2.

2 hours ago, RadioactiveWaste said:

Just a thought, but suppose ledley gets injured for a fair chunk of the second half the season.

I could see Thorn/Huddleston working.

would work to an extent, but we wouldnt be as good a team as with Ledley in. One of them would have to change their game a little bit which i dont see them doing. As others have said GT is not the same player of old, he has lost the mobiltity he had after his first injury with us.

3 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Difficult to criticise a good post like yours but for me Bristol was a turning point.  Keo looked awful but after ledley arrived that extra bit of protection meant keo started to play out of his boots.  Maybe a coincidence but the change has been amazing and it would be unfair to exclude ledley from praise.  

Archived