Derby vs Rotherham - matchday thread.

Rev

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steady regulation 3-0 win.

Not at our best, played well in patches. We did more than enough.

Butterfield MOM, think we have consistency in our middle of the park now. Be tough for Bryson, Hanson to break in. 

Apart from chance he missed, Vydra looked decent when he come on.

Big 4/5 games coming up..... let's do some damage. 

17 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Apart from chance he missed, Vydra looked decent when he come on.

Lol! Just seen the Sky highlights. Thought Vydra's miss, from where he was in front of goal, was almost as good/bad as his last miss! Wonder if @Bris Vegas will start  a thread for it?! :ph34r: :D 

#needanothergoalscorercomehomeCM

My player ratings for the game:

Scott Carson : 6

Would be higher but didn't really have anything of real not to do. Distribution was good and claimed corners and crosses well.

Chris Baird : 6

Much like Carson he just did was he had to. 

Richard Keogh : 7

Solid. Brought the ball out of defence well and put in a few traditional Keogh blocks. Scares me sometimes and was lucky he got fouled when he got dispossessed.

Alex Pearce : Again solid. Him and Keogh are forming a nice partnership at the back. Safe and strong performance however should have scored!

Max Lowe : 7

I am really starting to enjoy watching him. Looks a threat and creative going forward and can defend to!

Bradley Johnson : 8 

Another very solid performance in defensive midfield. So good in the air. Shields the defence excellently. Playing very well at the moment 

Jacob Butterfield : 7

Looked good going forward and great vision to set Bent up for his goal. Great on the ball. Great feet and fantastic passing around the midfield.

Will Hughes : 8

He is different class. Ran the show. Deserved a goal.

Tom Ince : 9

Always looked a threat. Got very involved and deserved the goals he scored. Unlucky with the penalties. But did very well twice to win them. Looking back to his best.

Johnny Russell : 6

Typical performance. Gave his usual energetic performance but lacks a final ball at times.

Darren Bent : 8

Well taken goal and bullied the center backs for the 70 or so minutes he was on. 

Andreas Weimann: 6

Struggled to impact. Needs more game time.

Matej Vydra : 6

Finding himself in great scoring opportunities rather often. But much like Weimann he needs more games to get up to speed. He'll come good.

Craig Bryson : 6 

Showed signs of nice link up play between him, Hughes and Butterfield. Going to struggle to get in the team whilst we're playing well.

Thought overall we kept the ball well and put in a solid performance against a very poor Rotherham side. Was crucial to get the early goal in this one. Onwards to Norwich next weekend.

1 minute ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Vydra is going to be some player for us. When it clicks he will score a hatful. His overall play is brilliant 

If he learns how to shoot like a proper striker, he'll be the best in the league. He's excellent in every other area than that, hopefully Phillips or McClaren can help it click.

I think I have to eat that humble pie. I said it was the wrong decision to get rid of Pearson. I was sceptical about McClaren coming back because they say never to go back but it seems that McClaren is proving me wrong. That's why Mel is a multi-millionaire and why I'm not, he knows when it's the right time to make bold decisions. Long may it continue

11 minutes ago, SuperDerbySuperRams said:

Bet Mel is feeling a bit smug right now. And rightly so. Proving his decision to dismiss Pearson was the right one. Could have had 10 today

Should never have employed him, so maybe not so smug.

Still early days for SM, not going to go overboard either way.. Really positive signs at the moment though.

It would be impossible for a 3-0 win not to be enjoyable. Well done lads.

my reality head says there were a fair few slip ups and missed chances that against better oposition might have cost us so we mustn't be complacent. We controlled and dominated them but somehow didn't quite rip them to shreds which we could easily have done but for Camp, the luck of the bounce and lack of accurate shooting. 

Carson .. Not much to do, kicked much better than at the start of the season

Keogh .. Very positive and strong won some difficult headers and gave us the usual scary moment a couple of times

Pearce .. Makes you feel all warm and comfy .. Solid as a rock and much more positive than Shacks. Camp saved his cracking header

Baird .. Good decision to use him today. Did a solid job and played a couple of fine passes. Helped free Ince IMO. 

Lowe .. This young man is a gem .. Hope we can keep, him gets better and better. I want to see him against some quality to see if he is really as good as he seemed today, which was 100% "very"

Butterfield .. Sound, positive, skilled. Well played ...needs some new shooting boots 

Hughes .. Class above, so good all round but there were a few casual moments, stray passes and needs shooting practice

Johnson .. An error or two but totally forgivable after an excellent, brave, fighting performance. Beast !

Ince .. Forget the pens .. That's pens and that's life .. MOTM class act. Hungry creative and check out his credit to Johno for the power header that lead to his goal. Happy team man or what ?

Russell .. Good moments but lacks final ball or precision of touch

Bent .. Never off side once, has rediscovered his football brain and playing very well. The goal was hard, very hard .. Wrong foot, cover all over, had to hit it where he hit it and he did. Their backs were crumbling around him. Great game

Subs ... Bryson .. Thought it was a picnic. Looked very sleepy. Weiman / Vydra .. I'd play them together as an alternative to JR and Bent. They suit each other. Two great little bits of interplay between them. If we ever need quick movement to break something down these two can do it 

4 minutes ago, McLovin said:

Meanwhile, on the Norwich forum. 

http://services.pinkun.com/forums/pinkun-forums/cs/forums/3442926/ShowPost.aspx

No reason why we can't do what Brighton did to them if we have the right attitude. They're really struggling at the moment and are conceding too many goals.

We will need to be more clinical than we have been against Rotherham and wolves. Should really have got 6 in both games. Shooting from midfield needs to improve. Hughes especially. And find someone who can take a penalty. Ince is good at winning penos, not so good taking them. 

Archived