Chris Evans - The return...

RamsPolls

9 hours ago, feisty said:

I do think some of the reaction here is bordering on hysterical.  

The guy doesn't choose the players,  the manager does. He helps source targets and then executes when manager decides who he wants to a budget set by the chairman. 

And while some players have not been a success, others have been fantastic. 

Agree it's the manger that chooses, he merely indentifies,

someone said that he even put a clause in the albentosa deal lol - sigh you gotte laugh,

as I said he merely identifies players it'll be rush (the chief exec) that negotiates and brokers the deal, so let's not get carried away.

Genuine question here,

but who's from that crop have been fantastic ? 

Iv sat through virtually every home game for as long as I can remember and I can't say there's too much that's fantastic about the post clough brigade. 

if was looking to chop a few from the wage bill in January it would more likely be a few from that collection that would be first on the list.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, CornwallRam said:

At this point I think we should change the badge to the laughing chimp. We've re-appointed the man who was most responsible for the mass that we're now in. 

I thought we'd get relegated when McClaren came back. With Evens record for signing expensive garbage on long contracts, we'll get relegated and bankrupted.

A guy who delivered around 80 points a year and you reckon he'll relegate us?  really????

I reckon this season we will finish top half as we clear up pearson's mess.  And we'll contend next season. 

I'll save this post and schedule  a reminder and we'll see at the end of the season. 

Kelle roos, Lee naylor, alban bunjaku, zak whitbread, ivan calero, alefe santos, cyrus christie, leon best, omar mascarell, ryan shotton, tom koblenz, darren bent, isaac ssewankambo, stephen warnock, raul albentosa, shaquille macdonald, chris baird, alex pearce, andreas weimann, jason shackell, tom ince, jacob butterfield? bradley johnson? 

36 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Kelle roos, Lee naylor, alban bunjaku, zak whitbread, ivan calero, alefe santos, cyrus christie, leon best, omar mascarell, ryan shotton, tom koblenz, darren bent, isaac ssewankambo, stephen warnock, raul albentosa, shaquille macdonald, chris baird, alex pearce, andreas weimann, jason shackell, tom ince, jacob butterfield? bradley johnson? 

Well you've excluded a load of good players but  your list  includes a bunch of U21 players who one is taking to see if they can develop; some make it others don't.   Whitbread was signed prior to Evans I think? And wasn't Naylor a very short term deal to plug a temporary hole? He was out of contract and we were outside the transfer window?

Of your others,

• Christie has been a success I think,
  • Mascarell did an OK job. Nothing like Thorne obviously but not bad either
  • Shotton / Warnock didn't finish a success but I could see the logic in buying them: they offered some solidity at full back in games when we needed to tighten up rather than the attacking instincts of forsyth and christie ,
  • bent's goal scoring record is good,
  • pearce has been a MOTM contender in the last few games,
  • Weimann hasn't had much chance but could be an important player (was superb in 2nd leg of play offs last year),
  • Ince did very well when he first came and clearly has the talent. It seems to be 'trendy' to blame everything on him (or Shackell) which can't help his confidence
  • Shackell - I just don't get the criticism (our most consistent player).
  • Butterfield and Johnson were emergency signings and I still think if Johnson gets his confidence back he could be a force. I'll concede they haven;t worked out yet though

Yes, Omar Mascarell, not good enough for us according to many on here, now a regular in the Eintracht Frankfurt side that sits 6th in the Bundesliga. Only 23.

Isaak Ssewankambo, let go and currently playing first team football at Molde in Norway - still only 20. Not as high a level as us but could be pushing Christie (who looks like he needs a little competition right now). 

Let's face it, many of Derby's players aren't good enough for us according to some 'fans'.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

Yes, Omar Mascarell, not good enough for us according to many on here, now a regular in the Eintracht Frankfurt side that sits 6th in the Bundesliga. Only 23.

Isaak Ssewankambo, let go and currently playing first team football at Molde in Norway - still only 20. Not as high a level as us but could be pushing Christie (who looks like he needs a little competition right now). 

Let's face it, many of Derby's players aren't good enough for us according to some 'fans'.

Mascarell was a good player, he just didn't have the positional sense for the position he was asked to play, not really his fault!

It's a mixed bag. Basically we never found "the one" ... all we need is one gem:  a Mahrez, a Deli Ali, a Vardy Arnautovic tadic etc etc. when he finds one we can say he's been a success. It will be someone we haven't heard of.

With this move, we really are turning back the clock banking on the modicum of success within the division and not getting out of it being repeated. That's pretty boring. I'm numb from all this chopping and changing. That will change if Mel and Co can show us that all this return to the past amounts to something different something better - that these people have all learned from mistakes and will be better. It surely would be a first.

2 hours ago, RamNut said:

Sounds like Huddersfield's Norwegian commentator.

Your boys took one hell of a beating........

3 hours ago, RamNut said:

Just looking at this list we actually made a profit on Albentosa but if I recall he only played a couple of games for us then spent the rest of his time on loan . 

Out of the rest that we have paid a transfer fee for how many could we get our money back on?

4 hours ago, feisty said:

A guy who delivered around 80 points a year and you reckon he'll relegate us?  really????

I reckon this season we will finish top half as we clear up pearson's mess.  And we'll contend next season. 

I'll save this post and schedule  a reminder and we'll see at the end of the season. 

McClaren is always a disaster when things aren't set up for him. He was the right man to get the best from Nigel's squad, but exactly the wrong man for our situation.

Have you forgotten that we were in relegation form at the end of McClaren's last spell?

7 minutes ago, angieram said:

But exactly where he is playing now.

True Angie but considering his age at the time he could easily have developed in to a good championship player. I doubt he was or is ever going to be Real Madrid squad status ...but he was good with the ball at his feet and to my mind would have been better higher up the pitch. All things considered he did pretty well for us as a stand in for John Eustace/George T 

4 minutes ago, jono said:

True Angie but considering his age at the time he could easily have developed in to a good championship player. I doubt he was or is ever going to be Real Madrid squad status ...but he was good with the ball at his feet and to my mind would have been better higher up the pitch. All things considered he did pretty well for us as a stand in for John Eustace/George T 

Pretty well  - yet he took a lot of flack. I do think some of our fans need to think about the effect of their behaviour on players. 

I don't buy this 'it doesn't matter  they are well paid' attitude - I think it does and if we have a bad track record with signings maybe just some of it is down to our attitude to said players rather than a rubbish recruitment team.  

3 hours ago, angieram said:

But exactly where he is playing now.

Maybe, I haven't seen him recently. That doesn't change the fact that he wasn't the right player for that CDM spot in our team. He got caught out of position far too many times and the defensive side of his game was too weak. 

Don't get me wrong, I thought he was a good midfielder and he would have done better being deployed further up the pitch, where he could get on with playing to his strengths and not having so much defensive responsibility. 

15 hours ago, angieram said:

Michael Keane, I rest my case.

Archived