Chris Evans - The return...

RamsPolls

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The role of a Director of football (and related titles) differs from club to club. But I reckon it is to:

• Run the scouting network and provide information to the manager on potential targets according to the needs specified by the manager
  • Execute on transfer deals once targets agreed (i.e. negotiate with selling club and get thenm over the line)
  • Find new clubs for players the manager doesn't want and get good value for them
  • Ensure contracts structured sensibly (i.e. sell on clauses and all that)

What the DoF doesn't do (or rather what Evans didn't do in his last spell) is to choose the players to sign. The manager chooses on the basis of the recommendations of the DOF and the Scouts.

On the basis of the above I think Evans did a pretty phenomenal job actually. He managed to get Thorne through the door when WBA were playing serious hardball; likewise Ince with Hull, likewise Albentosa whose club didn't want him to go.  McClaren might have chosen the targets but Evans was like a dog with a bone getting them over the door.  

And then when Albentosa didn't work out he managed to structure a deal which meant we made around 100% profit on a player who barely played 8 games for us.

In terms of being hits and misses, I would argue that nearly all of the players played a part: Dawkins, Thorne, Bamford, Lngard, Ince, Christie, Bent (let's not forget his 1 in 2 goal ratio for the first year he was here getting some vital points),Ibe, Carson, Pearce (who has turned out ok this year), Shackell (our most consistent performer who for reasons I can't fathom is now getting stick). Butterfield and Johnson were bought in response to Hughes and Bryson being injured. Not Evans choice to buy them rather than recruit from within. But having identified them, Johnson started like a house on fire and was a firm favourite and nobody thought he was a bad signing in the first few months.  There are some who didn't make it but I reckon he did ok

43 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

He started 32 games last year......

Also are you just going to ignore the rest of my post ?

Exactly what I was going to say, 34 out of 46 games last season he played a part in, not bad coming back from a serious injury- there were always gonna be a few niggles, like there will be this season for him

21 minutes ago, feisty said:

...On the basis of the above I think Evans did a pretty phenomenal job actually. He managed to get Thorne through the door when WBA were playing serious hardball; likewise Ince with Hull, likewise Albentosa whose club didn't want him to go.  McClaren might have chosen the targets but Evans was like a dog with a bone getting them over the door.  

And then when Albentosa didn't work out he managed to structure a deal which meant we made around 100% profit on a player who barely played 8 games for us.

In terms of being hits and misses, I would argue that nearly all of the players played a part: Dawkins, Thorne, Bamford, Lngard, Ince, Christie, Bent (let's not forget his 1 in 2 goal ratio for the first year he was here getting some vital points),Ibe, Carson, Pearce (who has turned out ok this year), Shackell (our most consistent performer who for reasons I can't fathom is now getting stick). Butterfield and Johnson were bought in response to Hughes and Bryson being injured. Not Evans choice to buy them rather than recruit from within. But having identified them, Johnson started like a house on fire and was a firm favourite and nobody thought he was a bad signing in the first few months.  There are some who didn't make it but I reckon he did ok.

That makes me feel a lot more positive about his reappointment. :)

Nothing against chris evans but he couldn't even set up a scouting department last time. Most of the much trumpetted scouting appointments were gone again with a few months and we were left with CE and joe mcclaren as head of u21 recruitment.

26 minutes ago, feisty said:

The role of a Director of football (and related titles) differs from club to club. But I reckon it is to:

• Run the scouting network and provide information to the manager on potential targets according to the needs specified by the manager
  • Execute on transfer deals once targets agreed (i.e. negotiate with selling club and get thenm over the line)
  • Find new clubs for players the manager doesn't want and get good value for them

What the DoF doesn't do (or rather what Evans didn't do in his last spell) is to choose the players to sign. The manager chooses on the basis of the recommendations of the DOF and the Scouts.

On the basis of the above I think Evans did a pretty phenomenal job actually. He managed to get Thorne through the door when WBA were playing serious hardball; likewise Ince with Hull, likewise Albentosa whose club didn't want him to go.  McClaren might have chosen the targets but Evans was like a dog with a bone getting them over the door.  

In terms of being hits and misses, I would argue that nearly all of the players played a part: Dawkins, Thorne, Bamford, Lngard, Ince, Christie, Bent (let's not forget his 1 in 2 goal ratio for the first year he was here getting some vital points),Ibe, Carson, Pearce (who has turned out ok this year), Shackell (our most consistent performer who for reasons I can't fathom is now getting stick). Butterfield and Johnson were bought in response to Hughes and Bryson being injured. Not Evans choice to buy them rather than recruit from within. But having identified them, Johnson started like a house on fire and was a firm favourite and nobody thought he was a bad signing in the first few months.  There are some who didn't make it but I reckon he did ok

Love the positivity in this post. 

Makes you look at his appointment in a different light.

Nicely done.

1 hour ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

i think the opposite..this is a ambitious club trying its hardest to put sustainable systems in place that look to the future.....

If we are looking into the future why are we appointing people who have failed us in the past? Our recruitment has been rubbish for years now... I can't believe we are going back and appointing Chris Evans. 

3 hours ago, feisty said:

Chris Evans left the club in February... Albentosa left in the Summer so I don't think he can take credit for getting him off the books. Dawkins and thorne were signed before chris Evans took over.

4 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

Chris Evans left the club in February... Albentosa left in the Summer so I don't think he can take credit for getting him off the books. Dawkins and thorne were signed before chris Evans took over.

Dawkins was Thorne wasn't, Evans arrived in November when Thorne came on loan in the January

7 hours ago, RamsPolls said:

Officially announced by RD.

Absolute joke of a club.. I despair. What's the betting we have the 2013/14 bleedin kit as well next season... 

Desperate people running the club, clutching at straws. 

Next time you lot go for breakfast, I wanna be there.. Better tell them to hide the sharp objects.

:angry:

He made a few good additions, mostly the loan players who came in, but we signed a fair few not so good, this is a strange appointment, but if Mac wanted him then fair enough, he is the manager after all, just HOPE everything works out and we can start winning football matches again, that's what we will all want, so I will be getting behind the club, as always, so let's hope we all turn the Ipro into a cauldron of noise on Saturday and  roar the lads onto victory, who ever is at our club I will back 100 percent.Once a ram always a Ram.

I do think some of the reaction here is bordering on hysterical.  

The guy doesn't choose the players,  the manager does. He helps source targets and then executes when manager decides who he wants to a budget set by the chairman. 

And while some players have not been a success, others have been fantastic. 

Archived