Chris Evans - The return...

RamsPolls

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, PodgeyRam said:

*cough* *cough* Bradley Johnson *cough* *cough*

The difference being we were in a no lose situation with Albentosa! Eight games in six turbulent months later and we were agreeing loan fees that were double what we paid for him! 

A list of first team players signed during his tenure:

Goalkeepers: Carson, Butland

Defenders: Christie, Baird, Shotton, Whitbread (loan made permanent), Warnock, Albentosa, Pearce, Shackell, Naylor, Keane (loan).

Midfielders: Thorne, Cisse, Butterfield, Johnson, Mascarell, Ibe, Lingard, Ince

Forwards: Ince, Bent, Bamford, Best, Weimann.

There's a right mix of players in there. Didn't even bother looking at all the under-21's we bought as none of them even made it anywhere near the first team.

2 minutes ago, cannable said:

The difference being we were in a no lose situation with Albentosa! Eight games in six turbulent months later and we were agreeing loan fees that were double what we paid for him! 

Not disagreeing with your point, just saying how even when Evans was here it was rare that any attention was paid as to how the player might fit into the style of play in the long run. Only really Thorne, Ibe and Mascarell (at a push) were bought in with the way we played in mind.

30 minutes ago, Phoenix said:

What's a technical Director?

Good question, plenty of moaning on the site with the little bird already, wonder how many know what exactly his role is at the club, last time he was head of football operations.

So many fancy titles in football now and when we're told not to read too much into manager v head coach title ?

1 hour ago, PodgeyRam said:

Defenders: Christie, Baird, Shotton, Whitbread (loan made permanent), Warnock, Albentosa, Pearce, Shackell, Naylor, Keane (loan).

There's a right mix of players in there. Didn't even bother looking at all the under-21's we bought as none of them even made it anywhere near the first team.

And none of them as Good as clough signings , the club is on an upward spiral these days 

5 minutes ago, valleyram said:

And none of them as Good as clough signings , the club is on an upward spiral these days 

Really zero of them were as good as any of the Clough signings ?

I don't think the track record is good but that is an utterly ridiculous thing to say.

Looking at PodgeyRam's list, the permanent signings are the most disappointing.

Baird, Shotton, Whitbread, Albentosa, Naylor and Cisse never established themselves in the first team over an extended period of time. Granted, some of them were never expected to.

To add to that, Ince, Bent, Butterfield, Johnson and Weimann have been hit and miss when much was spent and much was expected from them.

It's only really Carson, Christie, Shackell and more recently Pearce who have contributed consistently to the team.

The loans were obviously of a high standard. Bent and Ince had an incredible impact when they first arrived and of course, Mascarell and Bamford played key roles during their time here. Then you look at Butland, Ibe, Keane and Lingard who have all established themselves as Premier League players even if they weren't able to have the desired impact here at the time.

So if this points to us using the loan market more effectively again to offset recent spending, it's probably a good idea. :lol:

8 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Really zero of them were as good as any of the Clough signings ?

I don't think the track record is good but that is an utterly ridiculous thing to say.

Name 1 as good a signing as Keogh or Bryson who between them have won 4 poty awards out the last 5 and there are plenty of them 

1 hour ago, PodgeyRam said:

Was Wisdom not? I'm too lazy to go through and check my self tbf

In terms of Under 21s, Joe McClaren was HEAD OF UNDER 21 RECRUITMENT last time round, I would say that means he wont come back but being the managers son is pretty good leverage if he wanted to...

Pretty hit and miss (like most clubs at this level in fairness) would be interesting where this fits along side Directors Of Recruitment - Steve Hitchen and Rob Mackenzie (I say would because we'll never know). 

2 minutes ago, valleyram said:

Name 1 as good a signing as Keogh or Bryson who between them have won 4 poty awards out the last 5 and there are plenty of them 

Ah but you didn't say  'Not one player on that list that has been as good a signing as Clough's best two signings'

You said 'And none of them as good as clough signings'.

But I'll humour you. I'd say Thorne is definitely comparable, we are notably a better side when he plays.

3 minutes ago, brady1993 said:

Ah but you didn't say  'Not one player on that list that has been as good a signing as Clough's best two signings'

You said 'And none of them as good as clough signings'.

But I'll humour you. I'd say Thorne is definitely comparable, we are notably a better side when he plays.

Aye great signing 12 appearances a season but I will give u he's a good player 

Archived