Chris Evans - The return...

RamsPolls

14 hours ago, eddie said:

Nixon, eh?

How many still hang on that gobshite's every word, good or bad?

He's generally quite reliable in terms of non playing staff

11 hours ago, Abu Derby said:

We could do with nabbing Southampton's talent spotter or even Bournemouth's. If we have aspirations of emulating these two then we need to start by recruiting better players than has recently been the case. 

The thing is they're the only two real options of quality for any youngsters along the south coast. We're battling with a lot more teams over a lot smaller catchment area (obviously catchment area doesn't really exist but parents are probably unwilling to move house so their 12 year old can join Derby's academy when Birmingham have offered them a spot)

9 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

Re ffp, time will tell, none of us know if those transfers didn't rely on the deal for Hendrick and Martin going through, the anya one was very late in the day but let's be honest we don't know. 

I hate the Connor Sammon throw back lol

he got one wrong, let's say Chris ' the man most want back' Martin, signed on a free transfer offsets that lol 

or that centre half he signed from Barnsley for about half a million that we had to resign some 2-3 years later for about 8 times that amount. 

i would never argue with anybody that tactically he wasn't naive or anything like that it in terms of recruitment he got it so much more right than anything we've had since 

I was going to post this a separate thread as its been rattling around my head but being as we're on the subject.

since clough name 3 signings that we've made that have been good Value for what we paid and worth their shirt ??

I can name 2, 3 at a push

the irony is I can name 3 clough ones for every 1, quite easily scarily 

for me 

Pearce (more recently and was free)

carson (has made the odd error but a solid keeper for this level)

Christie (genuinely not a fan, I just prefer defenders that can reliably defend but I recognise what a good outlet he has and can be for us, not currently perhaps but for the money we paid a very good signing)

after that im struggling, genuinely 

who else has stepped up and we can honestly hand on heart say yer worth it 

Luckily all of the fees we received this summer go to this years books where as only a quarter of the fees of anya and vydra go against this years books as they're on 4 year deals... But then we also have a quarter of the Johnson/butterfield/Ince/weimann fees going against this years books too. So I'd love to see the inner details of it all but obviously we never will. 

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Cardifframs said:

Havnt we bought 2 x top scouts in,one from spurs?

We can bring in some of the best scouts in the world but what player is going to want to come to a club that is in this mess?

No player would want to. That's another reason why we struggled to sign players in Summer.

12 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

We can bring in some of the best scouts in the world but what player is going to want to come to a club that is in this mess?

No player would want to. That's another reason why we struggled to sign players in Summer.

ABSOLUTE bullsausage!

37 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

24 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

ABSOLUTE bullsausage!

Mel did suggest players were relunctant to join us in the summer. I'll leave you two to split hairs on whether a negative, booing fan base constitutes a 'mess' or not.

11 hours ago, NottsRam77 said:

since clough name 3 signings that we've made that have been good Value for what we paid and worth their shirt ??

I can name 2, 3 at a push

the irony is I can name 3 clough ones for every 1, quite easily scarily 

for me 

Pearce (more recently and was free)

carson (has made the odd error but a solid keeper for this level)

Christie (genuinely not a fan, I just prefer defenders that can reliably defend but I recognise what a good outlet he has and can be for us, not currently perhaps but for the money we paid a very good signing)

after that im struggling, genuinely 

who else has stepped up and we can honestly hand on heart say yer worth it 

The transfer market now is totally diffent to what it was in 2013, so IMO you can't compare. Nobody is getting good value for money at the moment. Average players are going for 3-4 times what they were when Clough was here.

45 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

What mess were we in the summer that stopped us signing players? I've never heard or seen anything to suggest that is remotely true. 

46 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

4 minutes ago, RamsPolls said:

It's not mate...

we managed to sign quality players 13 years ago under the 3 amigos with no money for wages or transfers. We managed to sign players under the GSE and Clough regime of penny-pinching and careful spending.

Players move for money more than anything, to suggest we cannot sign players, after spending £12m on 2 Premier League players is utter foolish nonsense and you're talking out of your arse!

Which players did we 'Struggle' to sign? I want names and proof we actually tried to sign them please, otherwise you're making stuff up!

14 minutes ago, cosmic said:

Mel did suggest players were relunctant to join us in the summer. I'll leave you two to split hairs on whether a negative, booing fan base constitutes a 'mess' or not.

2 minutes ago, David said:

What mess were we in the summer that stopped us signing players? I've never heard or seen anything to suggest that is remotely true. 

See above.

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

we managed to sign quality players 13 years ago under the 3 amigos with no money for wages or transfers. We managed to sign players under the GSE and Clough regime of penny-pinching and careful spending.

Players move for money more than anything, to suggest we cannot sign players, after spending £12m on 2 Premier League players is utter foolish nonsense and you're talking out of your arse!

Which players did we 'Struggle' to sign? I want names and proof we actually tried to sign them please, otherwise you're making stuff up!

See above.

Just now, RamsPolls said:

See above.

There was no booing at half time in the summer, finished top 6 again, one game away from Wembley, the tweet also doesn't say we struggled to sign players, just pointing out that players can be reluctant to join.

6 minutes ago, David said:

There was no booing at half time in the summer, finished top 6 again, one game away from Wembley, the tweet also doesn't say we struggled to sign players, just pointing out that players can be reluctant to join.

To be fair to me... That was the point I was trying to make... Not that we struggled to complete transfers but that players can be reluctant to join.

3 hours ago, Wolfie said:

The transfer market now is totally diffent to what it was in 2013, so IMO you can't compare. Nobody is getting good value for money at the moment. Average players are going for 3-4 times what they were when Clough was here.

With the best will in the world that's rubbish.

there has been somem massive transfers but they're not the norm are they, more the exception overall 

So there's no bargains out there, everyone has to pay huge fees???

every club in the championship has a multimillion pound backer?

some clubs shop clever... We haven't 

So post clough there isn't still players in lower divisions, in Scotland or at smaller clubs that are entering the last year of their contracts or could be tempted to move from lesser clubs to one of the biggest clubs outside the premiship, a club with facilities and support some clubs can only dream of  ?

theres been plenty, we've just scouted, recruited and shopped terribly and lazily since clough 

4 minutes ago, NottsRam77 said:

With the best will in the world that's rubbish.

So there's no bargains out there, everyone has to pay huge fees???

So post clough there isn't still players in lower divisions, in Scotland or at smaller clubs that are entering the last year of their contracts or could be tempted to move from lesser clubs to one of the biggest clubs outside the premiship, a club with facilities and support some clubs can only dream of  ?

theres been plenty, we've just scouted, recruited, recruited and shopped terribly and lazily since clough 

Really? You think that if we did that now then our "fans" wouldn't go on the attack claiming that Mel lacked ambition. We scratched around the lower leagues back then because we had no choice.

16 minutes ago, Wolfie said:

Really? You think that if we did that now then our "fans" wouldn't go on the attack claiming that Mel lacked ambition. We scratched around the lower leagues back then because we had no choice.

Well maybe it's us as fans that need educating then?

A players ability isn't correlated to how much a club pays for them it's what they do on the pitch 

I'm a fan and a STH and I can say I would have no problem with us going out and signing a young up and coming or two from lower league, there's still plenty out there.

all i can say is 3 seasons later and 35m quid later and how many of that 35m spend are hand on heart better than what clough recruited?

So it's done then

Seems the Telegraph were a bit behind the curve publishing this today

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/could-chris-evans-return-to-derby-county-see-what-steve-mcclaren-had-to-say/story-29847208-detail/story.html

"At the present moment, I think it is something that is definitely on the back-burner," said McClaren, when asked about the speculation.

39 minutes ago, cannable said:

Albentosa was a weird one. Top flight level defender available for €650,000 but he doesn't fit the way you want to play at all. Almost as if we saw the deal as being too good to turn down and took a gamble on the player.

*cough* *cough* Bradley Johnson *cough* *cough*

Archived