Huddersfield Town v Derby County

Bwash_Ram

• Replies 394
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I formed the opinion a while back that our players aren't as good as we, or more importantly they, think they are.

Take Will Hughes, Craig Bryson, and GT out of our midfield and forward players, and you've got a group no better than the one Paul Jewell left us with or Nigel Clough battled to keep up.

Paul Green. Theo Robinson. Steve Davies. They'd not be out of place in this squad, and might well improve it.

We can only get behind Steve McClaren, and hope that Mel and Sam and find the budget to allow him to replace 75% of the squad over the next 2 windows. And we don't go down in the meantime.

5 minutes ago, Alpha said:

So what do you want exactly.

All the players that have been bottling it all sold? Look at the team that bottled it in 2010, 2014 and today. The team is always changing. It guarantees nothing. 

You maybe think Pearson could have turned it around? Based on? 

Or you expected McClaren to turn it around inside 9 days (3 recovery and 3 match days) and return it to how it was with the bottlers of 2014 but a little bit better? 

I don't get your angle, that's all.

I don't have an angle other that stating that we aren't getting either of the two desired outcomes. 

I would like to think that SM has full reign now. No player power, no owner meddling. In fact I would be shocked if neither was part of the contract. 

That said, I hoped that Pearson had the same. I expected Pearson to clear out the dross and rebuild. No one will know if that was his plan. Sol Bamba would suggest he had a plan to replace a key part of the dross. Maybe... that's why he ain't here. 

Really frustrating. 

As a McClaren fanboy I secretly hoped we'd instantly come to life. But reality set in pretty quick. I'm massively disappointed that it's not going to happen like that. I'm also massively dissapointed Megan Fox doesn't use me for sex. 

But you can't openly lose your cool because your fantasy had been crushed. To go from Pearson's team to the 2014 team inside 8/9 days? 

On the flipside I hate Nigel Pearson. I hate his face, his voice, his crazy antics. I hated the team style after a whole summer of work. I hated him being here.

But I didn't want him sacked because he set out on a job and what he was trying to do, the philosophy needed time. I'd have gone for the season. I'm glad he fooked up and gave us an excuse. But when you commit to him then so be it. Give him time.

So now you can't expect Mac to turn it back in 9 days where he's had 3 matches to prepare, play and recover. 

I'm shocked that I hoped for it to happen. Not half as shocked that some people genuinley expected to see it instantly and are angry that it hasn't.

For real? 

The other thing. "Get rid of the mercenaries"

And bring in what? A young hungry team? You called them bottlers. That's why we bought "mercenaries". Because we wanted to improve. 

So you want good players (for free) that will try hard (against other teams that try hard?) to sort their **** out in 9 days when a "proven" manager  that "takes no nonsense" and "demands 100%" managed to make them worse in a whole summer and 2 months of the season?

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Thin line between 0-0, 5 games unbeaten, and a relatively positive response 

and 0-1, honeymoon over,  doom and gloom, 

Agree. It was really gut-wrenching to lose in that manner, so late in the game. But there was a lot of effort and some lovely passing at times, especially in the first half.

I have some sympathy with our defence.  Because of the lack of goals for, the spotlight falls on their mistakes as they are under so much pressure to keep a clean sheet because anything less inevitably means at best a draw or more likely defeat.

If we are trying to apportion blame I think we should be looking a lot further forward to the decisive ball that turns a promising move into a real clear chance and finally a goal. I didn’t see any of those at all today. Not any. 

Half chances, yes, but nothing more. And people want to get rid of Keogh. He'd be a long way down my list!

3 hours ago, angieram said:

I disagree with those who thought Ince was rubbish - our most creative player today but very few on the same wavelength.

Normally I agree with most of your posts but Ince was wasteful to me

I'm fed up of hearing that Vydra runs a lot - he would get the ball a lot more if he ran into some useful positions. Russell got stuck in, won a lot of balls for us and we missed him when he went off. Anya - shocking and Mason Bennett would do better.

Vydra needs always looks to run behind and has to check countless times because the ball is never released soon enough, not just today, plenty of games - do wonder if a strike partner would help 

Can anyone explain to me why Bent gets on the pitch ahead of Weimann?  The latter tore it up in the away leg at Hull and we haven't seen him since. 

Weimann really does deserve a run, knowing his luck he'd get injured after scoring though, soon as Bent came on I had a sinking feeling.

A resigned and slightly weary Ram this evening.  Yeah in agreement with everything else you said, going to a have a beer, it's my sons birthday, not his best present, he's not old enough to drink, so may have another for him. Don't be too down though, we'll bounce back at some point.

1 hour ago, Charlie G said:

Last minute winners are hard to take and we all seek an explanation as to why. Personally I believe this squad needs a complete overhaul. Individually the players we have are good but none compliment each other. 

BJ we've made into a Thorne roll, sorry he's best in a 442 on the left. Butterfield is best in behind two strikers, we have one. 

Ince is best in a free roll in the middle, we have him on the wing.

Anya on the wing with a target man to hit with crosses , we don't have one

Vydra playing off a hold up forward ( deeney ) we loaned out the one we had. 

Bryson playing off a hold up forward

Hughes can adapt but even he's confused 

It's all over the place hence goals scored , Poor 

You got it for me. Find a hold up striker and I believe they would gel, long wait and struggle till January. 

27 minutes ago, Ram79 said:

Today we needed a spark from the bench unfortunately our bench had Bent on it instead of someone hungry for the chance.

I do think mcclaren hasnt realised that bent, ince, russell, Bryson etc are not the players they were when he was last here. I hope he has the nous to do the necessary in January and get rid, 

14 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

How many times this season have we conceded in the last minute? 

Three times I think.. Newcastle, brizzle and now Huddersfield. Cost us three points so far. 

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Without Chris Martin this side doesn't have the tools to make the playoffs.

We desperately lack a link-up centre-forward, as without one we're relying on players who aren't exactly renowned for their creative abilities to suddenly create chances.

If we can't create chances via passing out from the back, the next best option is to win the ball high up the pitch via high-pressing, but Pearson soon coached that out of the players as he prefered to sit deep and counter.

Our problems all stem back to recruitment. It really hampered us and left us with such an unbalanced squad full of high-earners on relatively long contracts.

Absolutely agree on recruitment and in many ways this is the most frustrating and disapointing aspect of the past 12 months. Spending large sums of money and giving lucrative contracts to players we don't appear to have needed has not only unbalanced us on the pitch (as you say) but also pushed us close to FFP limits.

Mel admitted last week that our recruitment lacked any clear strategy or direction, surely a fundamental pre-requisite to spending such large sums of money. If so it beggars belief that our purchases were sanctioned given his business background.

Archived