Derby v Ipswich

Mafiabob

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, David said:

Yes. We're in the Premier League now, don't believe what you see on BBC Sport

And Blackman did actually equalise last night. He found one of the massive unobstructed gaps between the posts and confidentially stroked the ball home from 3 YARDS. Pure class. He definitely didn't lose his composure and slam the ball against the keeper, who wears a bright green jersey and stands out like a neon lighthouse. 

;)

I've been quite critical so far but I thought last night was a big improvement. 

Only really resorted to hoofing for a 10 minute spell after their goal and played some half decent stuff in spells.

We certainly had enough decent chances to have won the game but finishing let us down.

Positives - Pearce, Hughes

Negatives - Carson, Olsson, Wilson

1 hour ago, Spenno said:

Trying to take the positives out of this but I'm finding it difficult. I felt once Ipswich, (who I've got to say other than us are the worst team to have played a PP this season) took the lead they were very comfortable. I don't buy this idea that we were great in the first half. Most of the half was attritional ineffective hoofball reminiscent of the days under Phil brown true we sparked a bit for the final 15 or so but it was an ugly game.  There appears to be a complete lack of cohesion between the players which the chopping and changing of managers/playing staff/plating style can't have helped with so I think we need to stick with the same manager, formation and in the main use the same players with as little rotation as possible in order to try and build some understanding. If in three months we find ourselves in a relegation battle then time to reflect again but for now I think we need to hold our nerve and hope Pearson isn't as clueless as he appears. 

It was not pretty but that's how Ipswich play. We dominated for long spells but Ipswich were tenacious, blocking loads of shots.. Even so 23 shots got through , but somehow we just can't seem to get a goal. 

Have to say, Varney worked his socks off up front 2nd half, won numerous headers and closed down and harried well. Where as our front line lost nearly every header going.

2 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

It was not pretty but that's how Ipswich play. We dominated for long spells but Ipswich were tenacious, blocking loads of shots.. Even so 23 shots got through , but somehow we just can't seem to get a goal. 

Agree. I think everyone knew how Ipswich were going to set up and to be fair to be fair to us I think we put in by far our best showing of the season. Ok so we weren't exactly peppering their goal but we had them pinned back, lots of possession and created quite a few half chances. I honestly believed that if we had scored then it would have been a comfortable victory.

Like the Newcastle game, we had a brief period of being on top and needed to score. They go up the other end and do exactly that and it knocks the wind out of our sails.

I've got to say that Ipswich were immense. Dour as hell but well organised, fully committed and stuck to the plan. We should have won that game though.

If we can build on this performance against Blackburn next home league game (written off the Liverpool one, that will be a hammering no doubts at all) but a bit better decision making in the final third and the same performance against Blackburn then we'll win.

If we don't then I will be seriously beginning to poo my pants at what the season might have in store.

No panic. Much improved performance and unlucky too. Take it on the chin and off to Bristol.

14 hours ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I think Carson could go the wAy of shackell... His distribution is so poor that he really needs to play a blinder defensively or else his place is at risk. Carsons shots to goals conceded use be about 50%... Our forwArds shots to goals ratio is precisely 0% this season.

Maybe he'll head to Italy on loan? 

Well last night the lads gave it there best shot and created chances and

Nearly scored from two of them but at least they kepted battling to the end. I saw fight in the lads last night i felt guttied for them also but

We battered them we worked there keeper he got lucky how ball just landed right for him any other night we would have scored and won the

Game. 

I think it's easy to forget that there was actually another team out there last night determined to do a job on us. It wasn't easy trying to find space and opportunities for shots with so many bodies although we did create enough to have scored. Coming off the back of some poor performances and against a side who will not give you much time I thought overall the lads did really well and it's something we can build on now.

I didn't really think there was much improvement against Newcastle ( who are proving now to be likely Champions so no disgrace there) but I think if we can play a bit better than we did last night and improve our crossing against half the teams in this league we'll get some wins and goals on the board easily.

Last night, despite the defeat, last night showed me that this team are able to produce some decent attacking football. It just needs patience and more work.

6 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

Isn't this what Pearson is trying to set us up to be?

I think initially Pearson just wants to keep things tight and gradually develop his squad and playing style which will take time. It's been grim, we can all see that but we certainly have far more attacking resources and pace than Ipswich for example and are in a much better position than a lot of clubs. Ok I know they aren't scoring but these things happen.

I think last night's performance will have given the lads and Nigel some confidence despite the loss as we played ok. The wins, goals and performances will come I believe. I think play offs is a stretch but you never know. So long as the team and performances continue to develop and progress then for this season at least I can put up with defeats.

We've had a shocking start to the season and things will improve. If they don't then come summer NP will need his position reassessing and I think that's fair.

Spare a thought for the Reading fans.

"They probably need to accept that we are going to be playing like this........" was Jaap Stam's comment after the drab win v Ipswich. He has a fixed idea of negative possession based football that he won't budge from. At least Nigel is experienced and understands that with the players we have and the money spent then fans won't accept us playing like Ipswich every week. That's my view on it anyway. Could be totally wrong but not convinced it is Nigel's intention nor wish for us to be a negative side.

Here's my twopennyworth on the game. It took me four and a half hours to get there due to the nasty accident on the M1. Couple of pints in the Brunswick and we went to the game feeling less than confident.

A decent first half I thought but every loose ball appeared to fall to an opposition player so our luck wasn't in.

Will Hughes ran the show as others said. In fact our whole midfield played pretty well.

Now I can't admit to being all that savvy when it comes to tactics as I don't play football myself and only watch Derby. However, I can't see the difference between how we 'used' to play and how Pearson is trying to play (except for the fact it is now a lot less entertaining and we no longer score those things called 'goals').

What did strike me though is the number of times that Vydra kept trying to jump to reach balls that went just over his head. If only we had a big target man, he would have had those. I think there is a guy on loan at Fulham who might do the job.

Anyway we all know how it ended. Ipswich had one shot which went in and most of us probably knew then that it was over.  I logged into my online William Hill account, withdrew my winnings for a 1-0 Ipswich win and got home at 1.00am. Playing Ipswich at home really is free money. That was also the smallest crowd I've seen for a league game for some time so maybe the crowd are starting to vote with their feet.

Oh and one more thing. Ipswich were truly terrible and McCarthy said they had "mugged" us. After the Carlos Edwards late late winner a couple of years back, he said 'Derby have been "burgled". It really is about time someone arrested that man.

14 hours ago, sage said:

Pearce 6 Won everything in the air first half, but still can't pass a ball. Passed it quicker than Shackell but less accurately.

I'm sorry @sage but I must've been watching a different game to you. I can honestly only remember Pearce giving the ball away once so it's unfair to say his passes were inaccurate. You are correct about him passing it quicker. It was refreshing not to have the normal slow 'Keogh -> Shackell -> Keogh -> Shackell -> Carson- > Keogh -> Shackell -> Barry in Row E' scenario.

Just now, DerbyPride said:

I'm sorry @sage but I must've been watching a different game to you. I can honestly only remember Pearce giving the ball away once so it's unfair to say his passes were inaccurate. You are correct about him passing it quicker. It was refreshing not to have the normal slow 'Keogh -> Shackell -> Keogh -> Shackell -> Carson- > Keogh -> Shackell -> row E' scenario.

He put several passes out of play in the second half. To suggest he is a good passer is incorrect. he is a solid, honest stopper. 

Archived