Derby v Ipswich

Mafiabob

45 minutes ago, DcFc Dyycheee said:

Can't say I'm surprised by the 1-0 defeat, seen it coming a mile off. 

Can't blame the effort for tonight, thought every player tried, but they just don't know how to move the ball quickly in the final third. Way, way, way too slow, especially against a team of cloggers in Ipswich. Needs to be quicker. 

Why he subbed Bent on I don't know, basically giving up on the match at that point.

Can't go on like this for much longer. Never seen so many people leave on 80 mins. 

You can't have watched any Sunderland match recently then.

Oh my mistake, their fans actually leave around the hour mark.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply
46 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

I can not believe our luck right now we had another goal ruled but this one was over the line we just can not score we created good chances i had to say sorry to this family for massive over reaction but i know the ball crossed the line.

Found it quite funny they were bragging out getting rid of the pinks seats when they have only replaced 10% of them!

Carson - cost us a point to be honest, distribution poor as usual but he seems to be having to bang the ball out to Christie head which sums up a major height deficiency 

Christie - ok

keogh - we are lucky to have him

pearce - played well distributed the ball quickly and well and you can tell he has been a captain

olson - ok 

butterfield - a bit better from him but he does want to just stop and turn inside all the time

hughes - played well today and looks fitter

bryson - gave it his all again

anya - runs around a lot but can he deliver and score goals

Vydra - this guy needs a big strong partner who can control the ball and pass to him

wilson - ok going forward but switches off when that is not happening

subs- bent missed a chance which he should have scored

blackman - today was his moment - fluffed it

Lets give this a go then.

Carson - 5 - Can't work out whether the goal was terrible by him or not, he should be doing better but it was hit with some real venom.

Olsson - 6 - Didn't really do anything wrong, looked alright.

Pearce - 7 - Very good game. Didn't really put a foot wrong and I don't think lost anything in the air.

Keogh - 7 - Similar to Pearce, looked alright going forward too.

Christie - 7 - Had a good game. Looked solid defensively bar 1 poor header in the first half and attacked really well in the second.

Anya - 5 - Ran a lot, was fast, worked hard, exactly what Pearson wants. Issue is he couldn't pass, cross or shoot to save his life tonight and ruined at least two really good breaks by failing to complete a simple pass.

Hughes - 8 - Brilliant tonight. Played very well throughout the game but had a spell at the end of the first half that made me wonder why he's still with us.

Bryson - 8 (MotM) - Was absolutely everywhere. Looked more of a threat going forward than any of our strikers and threw himself about defensively, just pipped Hughes for me.

Butterfield - 7 - Played out of position on the right side of midfield. Took a while to come alive but put in a good shift when he did get going. Good passes, a few good efforts, solid performance.

Wilson - 5 - Runs around a lot. Had a shot which was tipped wide but aside from that didn't really do anything. Positionally very poor and gave the midfield not many options.

Vydra - 5 - Doesn't look fit. Should have buried his chance early on in the first half. Similar to Wilson, ran around a bit, got tired early then didn't really give the midfield many options. Although Butterfield definitely should have slipped him through in the 2nd half.

Subs

Bent - 6 - Looked alright, few good knockdowns and alright movement. Should have done better with his chance though. Basically played like he did for us last season, not good enough for us then but definitely good enough for us now.

Blackman - n/a - Wasn't on for long so don't want to give a score. Had a good effort from range just past the post then missed an absolute sitter, shocking miss.

All in all the defence and midfield looked solid, although still limited by the rigid and backwards system we're playing that clearly doesn't suit our players. Strikers really let us down with extremely poor movement and poor finishing. Game was screaming for someone like Martin who not only would have been able to actually be a threat in the air, but would have actually been an option for the midfielders to pass to. Definitely an improvement over the past few games but at the end of the day its still a loss. We were sussed out at half time and limited in the second half, Ipswich could have had another if Varney wasn't selfish or their wingers actually looked up once in a while.

Curious to see how Bristol City will go, on one hand we could build on this and perhaps be turning this corner of ****, goalless football. On the other hand Hughes and Bryson were phenomenal tonight and put an absolutely massive shift in (having to run more due to a 2 man midfield), doubt they can do this week in and week out so could be a one off.

1 minute ago, Millenniumram said:

Infact were worse, I can't think of a worse team in the division right now 

How about the 4 teams below us in the league? Blackburn yet to win, Wigan only beat Blackburn so far, Rotherham who have conceded 4 against Barnsley and 5 against Morecambe, Cardiff who have only beat Blackburn? Villa for all their millions spent have 1 more point than us.  No need to be over dramatic about it.

I think huges should be playing behind the front to help create more chances he did great tonight

I think vyda did create ipwich one or two players probleams at first they did not know how to deal with him.

I think jamie wilson showed tonight at least he is willing to get into the box. 

I do think we could play a bit quicker at times maybe have a quick look to see who is around.

First of all we were pretty bad for the first 20-25 mins so to say we were great in the first half is just silly. There was a 2 min period of the worst football I've ever seen at pride park where both teams were giving it away at every touch sending the ball up in the air every kick. We did have a very good spell though in the next 15-20 mins before halftime. 

second half we were bright. I got a kick out of Pearson yelling at Carson - Carson ! Carson ! Took him a while to hear NP, then it was something like "stop kicking it out of touch" Pearson was having a pep moment and wanted better distribution and in one moment raised his hands to strongly applaud SC for taking a touch and clearing it crisply up to our strikers. Goal was against the run of play. 

Now listen, we can talk about how much better we were etc etc etc, but reality is that Ipswich are terrible. I saw the reading v Ipswich match on sky and they were awful there too. So I'm not taking a lot of positives out of this because we played a team that was no better than Carlisle. 

the biggest issue is the formation is wrong. We have the baddest ass player in Bradley Johnson who should be inserted into the holding role. But he's been abandoned. Butterfield don't cut it : yes he dances around but he's too lightweight to be in there with no eusty type behind.

the second biggest issue is that the  finishing is woeful (including decisions to shoot near the goal) . What is Kevin p working on?? 

but the saddest two things to me are 1) the somewhat wasted effortof Bryson and the absolute waste of the talented wil Hughes in this formation. He's incredible : always keeps the ball always looks dangerous always looks to attack. He always brings the ball down to feet, he steals and harries, he creates He's a premier league player in waiting and would even fit in comfortably to a champions league side. I'll say that my money wasn't totally a waste because he's a joy to watch he really is. He also assisted on blackmans diabolical miss. 

Vydra looked worth about 1m not 8.5m and Wilson - he's so poor in the air often jumping nowhere near the target trajectory of the ball. He did have s few good moments but he looks lost. The 2 of them never linked well. Bent was an improvement but bent just is bent. Blackman must be the worst finisher ever. We really need one striker to do some magic and things should click 

we came away thinking that the positive here is the expectations are pretty much out the window now. They may be a demoralised side but they don't have much weight of expectation: fans just want some goals at this point. 

Crowd was just numb until we started looking bright then a bit of the sour mood was lifted : end whistle and numb again leaving the ground ...

I keep reading people saying we played well in the first half, They must have arrived an half an hour late because for the first 30 minutes we were poor. Ipswich was a dreadful, dirty lump it team and we created 1 chance in the second half despite Keogh, Bryson and in particular Hughes grabbing hold of the game in the last 15 minutes and driving us forward. Beyond those 3 there was little quality, just a lot of running around.

We started the second half ok, but the pitiful goal we conceded knocked us into lethargy for 20 minutes until a rousing finish. We created 2 more chances. 3 in all. All the rest were shots from outside the area. Now the substitutions. Bent for Wilson fair enough. But 1-0 down at home and only make a second substitution 2 minutes from time and then bring Blackman on. I'm not a massive fan of Ince but what is the point of him being on the bench if not to come on in that situation, If they are defending the 18 yard box, Ince is surely more use than an 805 fit anya. A calculated insult on a professional footballer from his manager.

Carson  5  Poor distribution and clearly at fault for the goal. 

Christie 6 Lots of running as usual and managed 1 good cross. Really poor decision making though as usual. 

Olsson. 5 Had a quiet game and failed to put any crosses in. 

Keogh 7 Class above in this dire game. Kept driving us forward.

Pearce 6 Won everything in the air first half, but still can't pass a ball. Passed it quicker than Shackell but less accurately.

Butterfield 6 We looked better playing with only one winger, but failed to find any really telling passes.

Bryson 7 Drove forward more that previous games and unlucky with a great shot that flew past the post.

Hughes 8 Best game for a while, ran the game, looked our most dangerous player, nearly score and set up the late sitter

Anya 6 Ran around a lot. Tries hard, Not a great footballer.

Wilson 6 Came short a few times and worked hard, but looks a rich mans Theo Robinson.  

Vydra 6 Again worked hard and obviously has a footall brain but £8m really?

Yes we deserved a win but only in the sense that we were better than an appalling team. I cannot recall a single good never mind great passing move. If that is a good performance I would hate to see us in a bad one. Hold on...I went to Barnsley.

Out with skill and in with runners. Desperately sad times. 

4 minutes ago, rynny said:

How about the 4 teams below us in the league? Blackburn yet to win, Wigan only beat Blackburn so far, Rotherham who have conceded 4 against Barnsley and 5 against Morecambe, Cardiff who have only beat Blackburn? Villa for all their millions spent have 1 more point than us.  No need to be over dramatic about it.

I'm sure (hope) in the long term that they will be worse than us definately, and that, like villa, were just struggling to get our act together- but it's our total inability to score goals that makes me believe that right now, if we played anyone in the league, I'm not convinced we'd win. I just hope that the performance today is a turning point and we can move away from those teams..

If you watch the extended highlights tomorrow, I bet their keeper didn't have 2 things to stop all night that he had to do more than just not get out of the way of. Yes we had the ball in their last third in a way we just didn't against Newcastle or Villa, but they were still comfortable for the most part. It was crying out for some strength up top. Chris Martin for instance. :whistle:

I can't quite get over how much I can't stand Wilson. As soon as we went a goal down he gave the ball away twice in two minutes and looks like he doesn't give a monkeys. First half he had a ball to win on the half way line. He was favourite and Chris would have laid it off and got a free kick and probably bought a yellow for their lad. Wilson had a quick look over the shoulder, didn't fancy it, then got out of the way. Coward.

It's possible. 20 minutes first half and for 15 after they scored I was rather bored. Have a look. How many did their keeper have to exert himself to save?

Archived