Derby v Ipswich

Mafiabob

1on 1 chance but cleared

2 that chance with the header should have done better

Will huges chance created space with some beauitful skill but narrow missed them.

Craigh bryson had a chance also just could not take it.

So there a few chances right there if you paying attention.

• Replies 595
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, B4ev6is said:

1on 1 chance but cleared

Will huges chance created space with some beauitful skill but narrow missed them.

I don't recognise any of those chances as being in the box. We certainly didn't have a headed chance or a 1 on 1.

3 minutes ago, B4ev6is said:

1on 1 chance but cleared

You're not getting me. How many times did their keeper have to move his ass quickly one way or another to save an effort on goal? I reckon the Blackman chance at the end was it. Maybe there's another one or two in there somewhere, but for the most part we huffed and puffed and never opened them up cleanly. Hopeful pops at goal on the half turn from 20 yards and scrambles that come to nothing don't count.

21 minutes ago, sage said:

I keep reading people saying we played well in the first half, They must have arrived an half an hour late because for the first 30 minutes we were poor. Ipswich was a dreadful, dirty lump it team and we created 1 chance in the second half despite Keogh, Bryson and in particular Hughes grabbing hold of the game in the last 15 minutes and driving us forward. Beyond those 3 there was little quality, just a lot of running around.

We started the second half ok, but the pitiful goal we conceded knocked us into lethargy for 20 minutes until a rousing finish. We created 2 more chances. 3 in all. All the rest were shots from outside the area. Now the substitutions. Bent for Wilson fair enough. But 1-0 down at home and only make a second substitution 2 minutes from time and then bring Blackman on. I'm not a massive fan of Ince but what is the point of him being on the bench if not to come on in that situation, If they are defending the 18 yard box, Ince is surely more use than an 805 fit anya. A calculated insult on a professional footballer from his manager.

Carson  5  Poor distribution and clearly at fault for the goal. 

Christie 6 Lots of running as usual and managed 1 good cross. Really poor decision making though as usual. 

Olsson. 5 Had a quiet game and failed to put any crosses in. 

Keogh 7 Class above in this dire game. Kept driving us forward.

Pearce 6 Won everything in the air first half, but still can't pass a ball. Passed it quicker than Shackell but less accurately.

Butterfield 6 We looked better playing with only one winger, but failed to find any really telling passes.

Bryson 7 Drove forward more that previous games and unlucky with a great shot that flew past the post.

Hughes 8 Best game for a while, ran the game, looked our most dangerous player, nearly score and set up the late sitter

Anya 6 Ran around a lot. Tries hard, Not a great footballer.

Wilson 6 Came short a few times and worked hard, but looks a rich mans Theo Robinson.  

Vydra 6 Again worked hard and obviously has a footall brain but £8m really?

Yes we deserved a win but only in the sense that we were better than an appalling team. I cannot recall a single good never mind great passing move. If that is a good performance I would hate to see us in a bad one. Hold on...I went to Barnsley.

Out with skill and in with runners. Desperately sad times. 

Sage, we are never going to see the glorious team that Nigel Clough built for about a fiver and Steve McClaren went on to get to play like Barcelona for half a season. Unfortunately, that one chance of a generation team we had, of being a great team built on a low budget, has gone.

NP will eventually build us a strong side that will get promoted.

We came so close to the perfect storm of promotion with skill and guile by a side with academy players at the heart of it but its not going to happen under Mel.

We'll go up,  but not  with that romantic dream we  had for a while.

Like I said at the start, I will tomorrow. Just the impression I came away with was that we were comfortably on top of a poor side but they were well organised enough to keep us from breaking them down. And we served up our customary soft goal.

Just now, uttoxram75 said:

Sage, we are never going to see the glorious team that Nigel Clough built for about a fiver and Steve McClaren went on to get to play like Barcelona for half a season. Unfortunately, that one chance of a generation team we had, of being a great team built on a low budget, has gone.

We came so close to the perfect storm of promotion with skill and guile by a side with academy players at the heart of it but its not going to happen under Mel.

Yes, I appreciate, with a heavy heart, that we won't see football like that again for a long time. Fortunately I can just look at our league position as compensation. Oh wait.... 

1 minute ago, uttoxram75 said:

Why will NP get us up? Don't say Leicester, Jewell had promotion history and look where that went. 

Can we play you every week ?   :lol:

Seriously though, not here to cause hostilities or anything such.    I'm an away team fan on another team's fan site and there won't be any wrongful behavior.    It's only we seem to possess a very good (recent) history at Derby and Yes, I got the statistics of today and with the end game from last season, we were - to a certain extent - fortunate to claim the win and once again got away with something we didn't necessarily deserve.     

Bialkowski our goalkeeper probably took match honors at the end of it all with some crucial saves and without him the end score may have been so much different, but as others have mentioned, what you may have witnessed today was an opposition team lacking ideas and / or creativity and in the end it was a bit of steal, but we'll take it.

Don't get me wrong, one victory doesn't change opinion (and) that I actively advocate for McCarthy's continued departure, but from a rival team perspective, it's something to build on and we got a big game with Aston Villa up next so hopefully the players can take something from this and bring home more points for the cause.   

Today's game aside, I wish Derby well in their continued endeavors and hope both clubs can improve from this early season and maybe find themselves in with a shot of the play-offs once more when the time presents itself.    All things are possible in soccer as Leicester demonstrated just recent, so keep the faith and look forward to playing you (again) in the return fixture.

Tough to take as I can't fault the players tonight. However one goal in 7 league games is more than worrying. We can blame luck, but if we had quality we wouldn't be talking about lack of goals. Take blackmans chance at the end, any half decent striker would have buried that. It was definitely smash and grab, but even that shouldn't of happened as Carson should save that shot. I can't recall Ipswich doing anything else, other than defend very well. Tough games coming up, but if we play like tonight, surely someone's going to get a hammering.

Carson - Cost us at least a point  imo. He's having a bad patch at the moment and we really can't afford for him to be having it now. 

Christie - Some great balls first half but no striker willing to take a chance on them, second half the complete opposite. 

Keogh - solid, nothing to do.

Pearce - Solid. Can pass, can read the game and should keep his place against Bristol City. 

Olsson - Good first  half, faded second.

Butterfield - Good game but his decision making is poor sometimes. The difference between a good player and a average player.

Bryson - Ran the midfield first half but second half he didn't make an impact.

Hughes - Best player on the pitch, needs to play further forward. Can Eustace come back until January? 

Anya - Has pace and skill but he can't cross unforunately. Will beat most full backs in this division with ease but needs to work on his final ball.  

Wilson - Looked lively tonight, I think he will prove to be a good loan. 

Vydra - Doesn't look match fit but he will come good. Came close a few times tonight. 

Bent - Didn t make an impact.

Blackman - Should of scored, he needs a goal for the sake of his Derby career. 

39 minutes ago, needles said:

I can't quite get over how much I can't stand Wilson. As soon as we went a goal down he gave the ball away twice in two minutes and looks like he doesn't give a monkeys. First half he had a ball to win on the half way line. He was favourite and Chris would have laid it off and got a free kick and probably bought a yellow for their lad. Wilson had a quick look over the shoulder, didn't fancy it, then got out of the way. Coward.

Apparently he was injured. Got a knock on the back of the knee and thats why he went off. That's the reason Pearson gave anyway. I think he looks too lightweight though.

1 hour ago, Boss said:

Wouldn't mind seeing Wilson dropped for Hanson for a few games. Let Hughes and Bryson play 5-10m further up the pitch. Genuinely think such a simple change like that could make such a massive impact for us right now

Has Pearson shown any sign whatsoever of that happening ie changing from 4-4-2?

The first half was an improvement. At least we looked more threatening and actually had more than 1 decent effort on target.

As soon as they scored though, we seemed to revert back to normality and didn't really ever look like we could get back into it.

Pearce looked good, a definite improvement. Carson's distribution was terrible though. What's the point of just lumping it to Christie on the Byline? More often then not it goes out of play.

Blackman should've scored. Either side of the keeper and it's a point salvaged.

6 hours ago, needles said:

You're not getting me. How many times did their keeper have to move his ass quickly one way or another to save an effort on goal? I reckon the Blackman chance at the end was it. Maybe there's another one or two in there somewhere, but for the most part we huffed and puffed and never opened them up cleanly. Hopeful pops at goal on the half turn from 20 yards and scrambles that come to nothing don't count.

Wilson at end of the first half and blackman at end of second half were as close to any side can get to scoring without actually scoring. Their keeper beat out about three shots which could have gone anywhere but luckily for Ipswich they went to a defender. How many saves did Carson have to make? One. And he failed. There were many many shots that fizzed just wide...Blackman had another and he was only on the pitch for 5 minutes. 

Some poor shooting too... Bent missed a sitter. 

We we really had enough to win the game even allowing for Ipswich's lucky strike but our strikers just aren't good enough.

Trying to take the positives out of this but I'm finding it difficult. I felt once Ipswich, (who I've got to say other than us are the worst team to have played a PP this season) took the lead they were very comfortable. I don't buy this idea that we were great in the first half. Most of the half was attritional ineffective hoofball reminiscent of the days under Phil brown true we sparked a bit for the final 15 or so but it was an ugly game.  There appears to be a complete lack of cohesion between the players which the chopping and changing of managers/playing staff/plating style can't have helped with so I think we need to stick with the same manager, formation and in the main use the same players with as little rotation as possible in order to try and build some understanding. If in three months we find ourselves in a relegation battle then time to reflect again but for now I think we need to hold our nerve and hope Pearson isn't as clueless as he appears. 

Archived