Nakhi Wells

Derbados

2 minutes ago, MackworthRamIsGod said:

The reliable source isn't the Twitter account which recently said this could be done by the end of the week is it?

Apologies if not, I'm just trying not to get my hopes up.

I think Norwich will go all out to beat us to him.

It's not

• Replies 401
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Honestly. How rubbish is our recruitment team? I could have told Derby to buy Wells when he was at Bradford. This football scouting lark isn't hard and it would potentially have saved Mel around £7m. The club should put me on a retainer.

The point of scouts and analysis is surely to identify the players people don't know about and pick them up cheaply from teams who need to money, either home or abroad (like Kodija). If I owned Derby and me, Sam and Nigel went to Recruitment and said "we want a new striker" and the names they presented me were Wells, Forestieri ad Kodija, I'd fire the lot of them on the spot. Any Championship half-fan in the country could have suggested the same list.

3 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Honestly. How rubbish is our recruitment team? I could have told Derby to buy Wells when he was at Bradford. This football scouting lark isn't hard and it would potentially have saved Mel around £7m. The club should put me on a retainer.

The point of scouts and analysis is surely to identify the players people don't know about and pick them up cheaply from teams who need to money, either home or abroad (like Kodija). If I owned Derby and me, Sam and Nigel went to Recruitment and said "we want a new striker" and the names they presented me were Wells, Forestieri ad Kodija, I'd fire the lot of them on the spot. Any Championship half-fan in the country could have suggested the same list.

Your spot on. Please dont forget about sammon though that was one hell of a coup

6 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

The point of scouts and analysis is surely to identify the players people don't know about and pick them up cheaply from teams who need to money, either home or abroad (like Kodija).

Plus the one's we look to buy seem to be at the top of their value - nowhere left to go but down.

20 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

But we didn't want them then did we just as we didn't want Andre Gray.  

But needs must. 

Different manager and different set up now and crucially Chris Powell knows Wells and Butterfield which is very useful. 

40 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Spot on Mr Sagan. It's like tipping a horse after the race, any @@@@ can do it!

19 minutes ago, curtains said:

But we didn't want them then did we just as we didn't want Andre Gray.  

But needs must. 

Different manager and different set up now and crucially Chris Powell knows Wells and Butterfield which is very useful. 

Of course it's true about Powell and his ex boys, but we paid massively over the odds for Butterfield and if we get Wells then we'll need to do so again.

Also I think it raises an interesting question. If you're running a football club do you only ever buy players because you think they'll improve your league position or might you buy them to make money by increasing their values and then being prepared to sell them on? Or is that simply not our role in the football hierarchy/food chain?

52 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

so, on the basis of your self-promotion, Name the players languishing in the lower leagues that we should be going for!

12 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

Of course it's true about Powell and his ex boys, but we paid massively over the odds for Butterfield and if we get Wells then we'll need to do so again.

Also I think it raises an interesting question. If you're running a football club do you only ever buy players because you think they'll improve your league position or might you buy them to make money by increasing their values and then being prepared to sell them on? Or is that simply not our role in the football hierarchy/food chain?

Spot on again.  My sense is that clubs like Bristol with Kodija and Huddersfield with Wells are more creative in their scouting by force of circumstances. Bristol can now afford to pay big bucks if they wish but it's not been the case until recently. It seems that since Mel took over  we've adopted a regime under which we feel we can pay top dollar, even for players we are not certain would fit into the team as we'd like. Camara is the only 'punt' we've taken recently and the poor lad can't get a kick. Ref: Jacob though, I think if he gets a run, becomes an integral player and checks in with 8 or 9 golas from midfield (which I believe he can), then his value would surely be nearer £10m in today's admittedly mental transfer market than the 4.5 we paid for him.

Andre Gray scored 15 league goals for Brentford and Burnley signed him for £9m. We laughed at them at the time. We're not now.

Considering market inflation, and the fact that Wells has scored 18 last year and 14 before in a side not so dissimilar to Gray's Brentford, I reckon £8.5m isn't too badder deal. 

12 minutes ago, matty1986 said:

But if the horse is good and you're a heavy roller, profit can still be made from backing it next time out.

I agree Matty - I think the issue is that some of the players we've bought in for big bucks would be worth significantly less than we paid for them.  It's all about the risk - reward profile and having the cash to flash in the first place.  It's also fair to say that after a horse bolts up in maiden, you'll be playing at short odds in handicap next time out. Over the course of my expensive punting education, I've learnt such methods are typically a fast route to the flop house!

1 hour ago, Carl Sagan said:

I see were your coming from and it does make sense in an ideal world , but it can't be the case all of the time . Sometimes you need that quality addition that's already proven at this level .

On 08/08/2016 at 13:21, HD3 said:

Afternoon guys, Town fan here. Most of you will be aware of our chairman Dean Hoyle and his extremely good business acumen. Our transfer policy of bringing in players for relatively low fees and then selling on for large profits is how DH runs his club. At this present time we don't have to sell, but Hoyle has stated that if any player were to leave, (Nahki being the point in case) it would take a monumental amount of money put on the table to allow him to leave. All that being said, every player has a price and if that price is met I personally believe he will go before the end of the window. 

Erm... :ermm:

Honestly never heard of the chap until now...

Archived