How good is jeff

catram

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, McLovin said:

I'm playing devil's advocate here and know Duracell didn't mean the comment in that way but the top flights in Portugal, Holland, Russia and France are stronger than the championship. 

Not sure about Russia or Portugal to be honest. They strike me a little like the Scottish leagues, only two or three strong-ish teams - then nothing

8 hours ago, Alpha said:

If we sold him while in the Champ then what?

Wouldn't you rather have a player like Hendrick in your squad? 

And who's available to us that is going to be better.

And not heard that we're skint. 

Flog the weakest not the better ones

Of course we'd all rather have him in the side.  The problem is we spunked nearly £10m on our weakest midfielders last season, and they both had mediocre seasons.  Therefore we can't hope to sell them for anything like the amount of money we bought them for.  Also, if Big Nige sticks to type, it'll be 7 midfielders for two spots in a 4-4-2.  However you cut it, some of those players will have to sold/loaned, and at the moment only Hughes & Hendrick would generate any interest.

I'd say that at least one of the midfielders at the club needs to go this summer. Bluntly, there's just too many of them.

Hendrick's performances for Ireland will certainly have attracted some attention and his value certainly won't have suffered. If a decent offer comes in I'd accept. He's been inconsistent ever since he's been in the first team and whilst his performances this summer have been very good, there's little evidence to say that he'll be able to maintain that over a season.

3 hours ago, Casio said:

Definitely. Bryson and Hughes compliment each other, I have never seen Hendrick and Hughes play well as a pair in centre midfield together consistently. I have seen this with Bryson and Hughes.

You need to remember this is a team game and not a game of FIFA Players need to compliment one another, from what I've seen Hendrick and Hughes generally don't. So unless we want to drop/sell Hughes, I think it would be good to cash in while Hendrick's stock is high and build around Hughes, Bryson with Johnson and Butterfield off the bench. Not a bad midfield at all and we have some money in the bank that everyone was going mad at last season when we spent so much! 

Absolute poppycock you've just written there. Very presumptuous, seeing as I've not played FIFA since I had a SNES, and never played Champ Manager since 1997.

I go to games, I use my eyes, and in my judgement Hendrick is a lot more talented than Bryson is.

Bryson may have a engine, not going to argue with that. I reckon in 3 years time you'll see Hendrick in the top flight somewhere and homing in on 50/60 caps. He's going to be a lynchpin for ROI for years.

I think Hughes and Hendrick are far better together. I prefer Jeff over Bryso as he takes risks, he tries a chance. It may not work at all times. Bryso is a good player, just think Hendrick is a lot better. 

4 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Absolute poppycock you've just written there. Very presumptuous, seeing as I've not played FIFA since I had a SNES, and never played Champ Manager since 1997.

I go to games, I use my eyes, and in my judgement Hendrick is a lot more talented than Bryson is.

Bryson may have a engine, not going to argue with that. I reckon in 3 years time you'll see Hendrick in the top flight somewhere and homing in on 50/60 caps. He's going to be a lynchpin for ROI for years.

I think Hughes and Hendrick are far better together. I prefer Jeff over Bryso as he takes risks, he tries a chance. It may not work at all times. Bryso is a good player, just think Hendrick is a lot better. 

But you've just ignored his point, Jeff may well be the better player, but it's about balance and the team, not your best eleven players.

4 minutes ago, cannable said:

But you've just ignored his point, Jeff may well be the better player, but it's about balance and the team, not your best eleven players.

I haven't, I think we are better balanced with Hendrick in there.

Bryson Hendrick Hughes would be the best for me anyway. 

I don't disagree that on his day, Hendrick is right up there with the best in this division. The problem is with Jeff is that he's very selective about when he turns up. I've come back from games and tried to do ratings for the team before and actually struggled to give him a number, being unable to think of anything he did. Good or bad.

Don't get how sometimes he becomes incredibly flimsy as well. Occasionally he just gets completely bullied. It's odd, because he's tall and not particularly slim.

Need to give him a chance under Pearson because it appears that he responds well to having a rocket up his arse. But if people are using his form 3 games into a tournament for a different team over the near 200 appearances for us to weigh up how effective he is for Derby, then they're barking up the wrong tree.

Hendrick's good enough to play in the top flight. Of course he is. But the reason why we're still playing football in the Championship is due to our bizarre turns in performance and Hendrick is arguably the worst culprit when it comes to consistency. 

2 minutes ago, Rampage said:

I fail to see any advantage in selling any of our top 22 players until we get a better player in. The new player must learn our style etc and would be unlikely to hit the ground running.

Unlike Martin who always ends up with his arse hitting the ground, instead of running ?

42 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

You've totally missed my point. I'm not saying Hendrick doesn't have the potential to be a top player but it has to be in the right team/setup.

The way Derby have been playing the past 4 seasons, Hughes and Bryson is a much more effective midfield partnership than any other combination I have seen. As I would argue both Hughes and Hendrick are ball playing midfielders (like to have the ball and dribble and pass through the opposition in order to attack and create) that would not be the best option when building a team as you neglect other requirements such as, defensive work/presence (Johnson when motivated) or space creation (Brysons specialty which Hughes and often Ince thrive in). 

A good example of this for me is Butterfield. I personally think he is a very good championship player and I'm a big fan of him as a footballer. However, we have Will Hughes, and Hughes can do everything Butterfield can do and more (bar sensational volley's). Hughes has now made Butterfield redundant in my eyes at DCFC, however, he could be a very valuable player for another championship side.

21 minutes ago, angieram said:

It's all very well if players compliment each other ('Nice hair, Jeff'. 'Thanks, Will, impressive beard') but if you want the team to really produce the goods I'd prefer them to complement each other. :ph34r:

Genuinely didn't know there was a difference until now, well pointed out. Learn something new every day.

1 hour ago, angieram said:

It's all very well if players compliment each other ('Nice hair, Jeff'. 'Thanks, Will, impressive beard') but if you want the team to really produce the goods I'd prefer them to complement each other. :ph34r:

I got in trouble at work once fur writing a leaflet saying 'we offer baby complimentary services' when what I should have written was 'we offer many complementary services'. So people kept asking about all our free services, when I simply meant there are lots of services that go well with the one you just bought. 

Spelkung is important people. 

It's interesting how Jeff hasn't been too concerned about using his strength for Ireland in a way I've rarely seen for Derby.

I truly hope Pearson takes advantage of that as it'd be nice to see us bullying other teams every once in a while...

Archived