Alan Nixon transfer debacle 16/17

North_Stand_Ram

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think that we paid about the going rate for the players that we bought. How we used them was the issue. Clement wanted two players for every position and after one lost game in twenty it was working. Something hit the fan. I do not blame the signings.They all expected a run in the team, many did not get one. There are factors that we know not. Holloway hinted at something but we are not clear what causes 'meltdowns' or 'no shows'. Maybe all teams get them.

Clough gave us:- (In bold played against Hull) (6)

Grant

?      Keogh   Buxton   Forsyth

Bryson  Hendrick   Hughes

Mason  Martin  Russell

Schteeve gave us:-

Christie and Thorne + Mitchell + some U21s (Ince* and Bent* on loan*) (1), (3*)

Clement gave us :- the rest, but how many did he actually choose? I know not.

Carson, Shackell, Olsson, Butterfield, Johnson, Weimann, Camara, Ince*, Bent* (10)

Clement signings who did not play:- Pearce, Blackman?,

Why did we lose against Hull? Not resting players against Ipswich (loss of Thorne) plus players not fully fit or out of position plus wrong/timing of substitutions plus players not sent off for obvious red cards. Still only lost by one goal. COYR

9 hours ago, Rampage said:

I think that we paid about the going rate for the players that we bought. How we used them was the issue. Clement wanted two players for every position and after one lost game in twenty it was working. Something hit the fan. I do not blame the signings.They all expected a run in the team, many did not get one. There are factors that we know not. Holloway hinted at something but we are not clear what causes 'meltdowns' or 'no shows'. Maybe all teams get them.

Clough gave us:- (In bold played against Hull) (6)

Grant

?      Keogh   Buxton   Forsyth

Bryson  Hendrick   Hughes

Mason  Martin  Russell

Schteeve gave us:-

Christie and Thorne + Mitchell + some U21s (Ince* and Bent* on loan*) (1), (3*)

Clement gave us :- the rest, but how many did he actually choose? I know not.

Carson, Shackell, Olsson, Butterfield, Johnson, Weimann, Camara, Ince*, Bent* (10)

Clement signings who did not play:- Pearce, Blackman?,

Why did we lose against Hull? Not resting players against Ipswich (loss of Thorne) plus players not fully fit or out of position plus wrong/timing of substitutions plus players not sent off for obvious red cards. Still only lost by one goal. COYR

agree with most but don't think you can credit Clough with Hendrick or Hughes or even Bennett as they came through the accademy - yes he gave them their chance but it would have been harder to ignore them

1 hour ago, Saturn5 said:

agree with most but don't think you can credit Clough with Hendrick or Hughes or even Bennett as they came through the accademy - yes he gave them their chance but it would have been harder to ignore them

Bennett joined when Nigel was in charge and Nigel had a big input into the academy and youth development, so he's certainly a clough player.

Hendrick and Hughes were both at the club before Nigel - I think during Jewell's tenure, Hendrick maybe even at the end of Billy.  

3 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Carson

Christie           Keogh/Hanley    Forsyth           Olsson

Looks good to me, though it's not meds time yet.

Hang on, you'd honestly replace Shackell with Forsyth at CB?? Forsyth who has about 1 game experience playing there against a man who has won promotion with Burnley previously and has put in some of our most solid defensive displays this season?

Shackell's reading of the game defensively is second to none. This is epitomised by the time against Brighton where at the last second, he dropped off the wall from a free kick to, only seconds later, head away a ball destined to find the back of the net. That intuition has saved us conceding countless times this season, he occasionally loses his head and gives away a rash challenge or penalty, see Burnley away, but arguably Keogh makes more due to a loss of composure.

What cannot be argued is how good both have been this season. For me, this season we've had the best defence i've seen for over 10 years and yet people are still calling for change... For the championship, that defence is more than adequate, questions could have been asked had we achieved promotion but while we remain in this league our defence is solid.

1 hour ago, YorkshireRam said:

Hang on, you'd honestly replace Shackell with Forsyth at CB?? Forsyth who has about 1 game experience playing there against a man who has won promotion with Burnley previously and has put in some of our most solid defensive displays this season?

Shackell's reading of the game defensively is second to none. This is epitomised by the time against Brighton where at the last second, he dropped off the wall from a free kick to, only seconds later, head away a ball destined to find the back of the net. That intuition has saved us conceding countless times this season, he occasionally loses his head and gives away a rash challenge or penalty, see Burnley away, but arguably Keogh makes more due to a loss of composure.

What cannot be argued is how good both have been this season. For me, this season we've had the best defence i've seen for over 10 years and yet people are still calling for change... For the championship, that defence is more than adequate, questions could have been asked had we achieved promotion but while we remain in this league our defence is solid.

I've now had my meds and decided you're right.

Carson

Keogh           Hanley          Shackell          Forsyth

There, that's better ain't it? Now, did I take one of those blue pills or two?

7 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Carson

Half a dozen by the looks of things.

First name down, first game of next season, is - Keogh RCB. 

14 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Carson

I'm not entirely sure we need Hanley, I'm no scout but there must be a reason he's not been picked up by a bigger club. Ultimately, with our squad as strong as it is, especially with Hughes, Bryson, Thorne and Hanson hopefully fit for next season, the only players we should be investing in are ones that have the capability to make the step up to the PL.

There's no point buying players that would become invalid if we got promoted because then we simply end up with more deadwood like we currently have. I'm talking about the likes of: Baird, Shotton and Pearce. 

Also, you'd drop Christie? I voted him for my Player of the Season, I think he's been terrific this season and I wouldn't be surprised if we got some offers from PL teams for him over summer, I just hope we can keep hold of him, still got more potential due to his age I reckon.

35 minutes ago, maydrakin said:

Both Christie and Keogh are in the last year of their contract and in a very big shop window over the summer.  Both could be moving on by September... Otherwise, it's bargain basement fees...

We're a tragic, tragic club if we don't try and hold on to them two. I'd assume whoever was the new manager would issue them with new contracts. 

4 hours ago, Ambitious said:

We're a tragic, tragic club if we don't try and hold on to them two. I'd assume whoever was the new manager would issue them with new contracts. 

I agree, but they hold all the aces.  Refuse to sign a contract and the club is forced to cash in or risk losing an asset for nothing.

2 hours ago, Harrowram said:

Everyone seems to forget our Spanish centre half who is currently on loan at Malaga, If he is good enough for the Spanish top flight surely he is good enough for us.

He won't stay will he, very little chance of that I would think.

That leaves us                   Carson

Christie           Keogh                  Shackell             Forsyth

We have no cover for RB unless you stick Jamie there. Olsson covers Forsyth

Jamie can cover Keogh as well can't he? Can Rawson play left side CB or do we need cover there if Buxton goes?

That leaves cover for Thorne, 

So we should be looking at a CB/DM or is that Pearce? Can we get Busquets? He would be perfect.

I'd definitely keep Camara though, he gives the impression he wants to be here and is willing to improve. A bit of coaching to add to his obvious pace and he could be some player. Needs proper game time though.

Blackman? Clearly not had a good run but I think we should get rid, Can't see where he fits in.

Weimann, love the guy, always 100% and still young, should keep him.

Should keep Bent as well but play him more often and much earlier in the game if coming on as sub. If it ain't happening by 60/65 minutes then change it, 85 is pointless.

Sell Hendrick to Newcastle for £10m :)

Hanley is a leftie and usually plays left sided centre back. If there's any truth in this, he won't be replacing Keogh. It is interesting that both Clement and Wassall pointedly avoided giving the armband to Shackell. I can only think that could be an indicator that he's not a huge contributor to team spirit.

Maybe (and this is based on the shaky assumption that Nixon is correct) Shackell is being moved on for the overall good of the 'team', not directly for his actual ability on the pitch.

1 hour ago, Animal is a Ram said:

Can't imagine them being of that mentality, especially Keogh.

I agree, but he's also getting no younger and at 29 might feel his chance of playing in the Prem could be slipping by if he doesn't seize an opportunity now.

I hope he stays, but I could understand if he wished to get a season or two in the top flight.

Perfectly happy if Christie left, would even accept £1 Million for him. He has too many faults for me:

1) He has no idea how or when to pass the ball. He tries constantly to take on players when the easy ball is the better solution.

2) He doesn't do enough to stop his man or take route 1 defending when its needed. Poses a risk to the team.

3) His crossing is poor and doesn't cross at the right time. He has got better in this area this season because he has been crossing the ball earlier, but generally, still too many touches before crossing.

4) I don't think he is good enough in the air for someone his size. Forsyth I love because I think he brings a lot to the table. If you could have the same player as Forsyth or Christie at RB, who would you choose?

5) He doesn't push on enough by making runs behind the defence WITHOUT the ball. With the ball yes he does, but he never ceates space for Russell/Ince/Hughes by moving away from the ball. Always towards it.

Wouldn't be upset in the slightest if he moved on. I'd probably be happy.

Archived