Alan Nixon transfer debacle 16/17

North_Stand_Ram

Just now, Animal is a Ram said:

Pearce was a free agent, Shotton was peanuts, and Albentosa (IIRC) was c€1m - if we don't get at least £1.5m for all three then someone at the club deserves a slap.

Shotton will be a free

Albentosa will be 750k euros I think his clause was but Malaga want to pay less

Pearce will be cheap I think

There is someone at the club who gave the go ahead to buy Blackman before he became a free agent... I wont hold my breath :lol:

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

Shotton will be a free

Albentosa will be 750k euros I think his clause was but Malaga want to pay less

Pearce will be cheap I think

There is someone at the club who gave the go ahead to buy Blackman before he became a free agent... I wont hold my breath :lol:

With 1yr left on his contract, I doubt Shotton would be let go for free..

34 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

We shall see, hopefully we can recoup some cash but I doubt highly we will break even

So you'd rather have Hanley and Albentosa at the back than Keogh and Shackel... crazy

https://www.whoscored.com/Players/135527

That's Albentosa's profile on whoscored. I know some of their stats are odd, but I don't watch enough Spanish football to be able to judge him purely based on what I've seen.

Per whoscored, he was an average player in La Liga. I think Keogh is a good defender most of the time but if we're to overhaul the squad he has to be one of the first to go, we could pick up £3m for him easily. I don't rate Shackell, he's at the centre of what went wrong on Saturday for me, no real fighting spirit.

1 hour ago, Posh Ram said:

That's Albentosa's profile on whoscored. I know some of their stats are odd, but I don't watch enough Spanish football to be able to judge him purely based on what I've seen.

Per whoscored, he was an average player in La Liga. I think Keogh is a good defender most of the time but if we're to overhaul the squad he has to be one of the first to go, we could pick up £3m for him easily. I don't rate Shackell, he's at the centre of what went wrong on Saturday for me, no real fighting spirit.

From WhoScored.com

Raúl Albentosa Characteristics

+ Strengths, 

Aerial duels & ball interception

- Weaknesses

Passing & tackling

Raúl Albentosa's Style of Play

Likes to play long balls, plays the ball off the ground often, does not dive into tackles

I haven't seen enough of him to make a reasoned opinion of him but the bits in bold makes me wary if he was to return.

55 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

Albentosa averaged very nearly 7 over the season. Pique, Ramos and Pepe averaged just over 7. Ronaldo and Messi averaged just over 8 over the season. I would say that Albentosa's rating over the year could be classed as better than average if those other scores are anything to go by. I haven't watched much of him this season either, but going by those scores in a far better league than the Championship, I would have thought that he is better than those that are in and around the Derby team. It must also be said though that although the style of football in the Championship is very different. I would still like to see him given a decent crack at it for us, but I think that that ship has now passed. (Before anyone has a go at me because I've got personal interest, I am trying to look at it from a DCFC fan's point of view, after all players like Shotton were given far more opportunity to impress)

48 minutes ago, rynny said:

From WhoScored.com

Raúl Albentosa Characteristics

+ Strengths, 

Aerial duels & ball interception

- Weaknesses

Passing & tackling

Raúl Albentosa's Style of Play

Likes to play long balls, plays the ball off the ground often, does not dive into tackles

I haven't seen enough of him to make a reasoned opinion of him but the bits in bold makes me wary if he was to return.

So maybe he needs to be paired with someone who can distribute well (but in a calm manner, unlike Keogh) and shielded by a defensive midfielder who is good at tackling and also happy to play a pass (Thorne/Hanson fine for that role).

I just think giving up on Albentosa would be stupid when he barely got a chance and is clearly a good defender in La Liga.

2 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

Keogh is a good CB at this level, on his day he is brilliant! Shackell is another good CB at this level, don't forget what he did at Burnley because of 1 bad error

2 hours ago, SkeggyRam said:

Is Rawson anywhere near being a first team centre half? Rotherham Fans really rated him

No, this is my point. For me he should be given game time, fantastic player for his age

43 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

So maybe he needs to be paired with someone who can distribute well (but in a calm manner, unlike Keogh) and shielded by a defensive midfielder who is good at tackling and also happy to play a pass (Thorne/Hanson fine for that role).

I just think giving up on Albentosa would be stupid when he barely got a chance and is clearly a good defender in La Liga.

I disagree with you on this one, La Liga play completely different football than the championship. Here you come up against very rough and ready physical forwards who play with urgency, this is why Albentosa defended light a deer in headlights when we signed him.

Yes he may be a good La Liga CB but I dont see why you'd think he would be a better championship defender than Keogh and Shackell (who I think wouldnt do anything in La Liga)

10 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

Keogh is a good CB at this level, on his day he is brilliant! Shackell is another good CB at this level, don't forget what he did at Burnley because of 1 bad error

I'd disagree, both are decent centre backs at this level who on their day are alright, but their day doesn't come often enough. They're not up there with Tarkowski, Davis, Duffy, Dunk or Manga. And they get torn apart by good strikers - Hernandez or Gray.

4 hours ago, Animal is a Ram said:

BUT if you do wish to take him seriously..

@jgwharris Redknapp already looking at players. Not sure what his role will be. Club needs a manager and a chief scout too.

I think my heart just skipped a beat...

15 hours ago, Posh Ram said:

I'd disagree, both are decent centre backs at this level who on their day are alright, but their day doesn't come often enough. They're not up there with Tarkowski, Davis, Duffy, Dunk or Manga. And they get torn apart by good strikers - Hernandez or Gray.

Well I thought Keogh and Shackell we're on top of their game last night.

I definitely agree with some of the names mentioned but I know for a fact Dunk isn't highly rated by Brighton fans

10 minutes ago, Dale The Ram said:

Well I thought Keogh and Shackell we're on top of their game last night.

I definitely agree with some of the names mentioned but I know for a fact Dunk isn't highly rated by Brighton fans

Yeah, in a game where from the start we didn't need to defend. They weren't on top of their game Saturday and that's a big part of why we're not going to Wembley.

For what it's worth, I think Hanley was rated as the 11th best player in the Championship by who scored.com, whereas Keogh was in the mid-hundreds. He's left-footed too and I've always rated left foot/right foot CB pairings. I'd happily sell both Keogh and Shackell and go with Hanley, Pearce, Buxton and Rawson as our CBs.

14 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

Yeah, in a game where from the start we didn't need to defend. They weren't on top of their game Saturday and that's a big part of why we're not going to Wembley.

For what it's worth, I think Hanley was rated as the 11th best player in the Championship by who scored.com, whereas Keogh was in the mid-hundreds. He's left-footed too and I've always rated left foot/right foot CB pairings. I'd happily sell both Keogh and Shackell and go with Hanley, Pearce, Buxton and Rawson as our CBs.

I dont go by who scored, maybe I should, I only base it on 1 or rarely 2 games that I see him play.

I am more than happy to keep Keogh and Shackell and sell Pearce/Shotton/Albentosa for our back up CB's to be Buxton and Rawson.

I love an alternate foot CB partnership which was why I wanted Dunk in at the start of the season

5 hours ago, McLovin said:

Just for the record Hanley is right-footed not left footed. A lot of Blackburn fans annoyed about this, just a silly mistake like wiki says weimann is 6ft 2 when he is clearly not

Ah right, that's an odd one. Still think he wouldn't be a bad buy for us, I rate whoscored

The centre backs currently at the club who, unless sold will be competing for one of the berths next season:

1. Shackell
  2. Keogh
  3. Buxton
  4. Pearce
  5. Albentosa
  6. Shotton
  7. Rawson

The players who can step in and fill the centre back role even if it's not their preferred position:

1. Forsyth
  2. Baird
  3. Hanson

So, that's 10 people who can play there and 7 who will want to. And we have so many it wouldn't surprise me if I've forgotton someone!  Unless we're remarkably successful at moving many of our centre backs on, we won't be getting any more in. And the moving on would have to come first. And that would mean selling 4 of them.

But this is the wrong sort of buy and the same error we keep making (why we've ended up with 10 players who could do a shift at centre half). We buy quantity not quality. Anyone who comes in should be two steps above Keogh and Shackell so that everyone in the club wants to play with them and if someone loses their place they will see why and want to learn from the new master so they can improve.

Is Grant Hanley, Blackburn's centre half, seriously streets ahead of Keogh and Shackell? Of course he's not. Hope Nicko does better as the close season kicks in. Next!

Pretty sure Shotton, All-bent-toes-ah and Pearce, are set for exits.

Shotton, Brum might buy we might sell so i could see a deal.

Albentosa is going to go to spain, just a matter of where (and fee)

Pearce is not on anyone's radar at Derby so must want to play somewhere.

Bucko, much as I love him, I think could do with first team football, and with Nige and Burton so close by?

Still doesn't mean we should be buying Grant.

If we spend the summer collecting championship clubs' POTS again i shall bang my head against a brick wall.

Out

Pearce

Baird(hopefully) 

Shotton

Albentosa 

Warnock 

Blackman (please) 

Loan- Mitchell/Roos (out on loan for a season) 

Rawson+Bucko as back up for Keogh and Shackell. 

Need 1 RB at back up and DM? 

Archived