A Simple Darren Wassall Poll

robglosta

Wembley - Contract?  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The poll is pointless. "If he gets us to Wembley and we don't get promoted, should he get a deal?" 

If we lose 200-0 in the playoff final, Wassall shags everyone's wives, calls the Derby fans a bunch of C U Next Tuesdays and eats a baby, probably not.

Hadn't counted on that answer had you?

14 minutes ago, Jon_Grooves said:

Has he really though? Ive only been to one game since Wassall was in charge and even though we won (against forest), wre werent great. Not sure about recent performances as I havent been to watch any but I dont think weve been playing great football have we?!

The Forest game was a derby and those games form goes out the window. In the last two games which I watched we played our best football all season, we destroyed a decent Hull side and granted it was only Bolton, but we still played with freedom that I hadn't seen all season.

The last two away games it sounds like we played some very good football and dominated the games (granted the scorelines didn't show that).

35 minutes ago, Jon_Grooves said:

Has he really though? Ive only been to one game since Wassall was in charge and even though we won (against forest), wre werent great. Not sure about recent performances as I havent been to watch any but I dont think weve been playing great football have we?!

We were absolutely outstanding against Hull and dominant against Bolton. I wasn't at Bristol but it sounded like we controlled the second half. One local derby isn't anywhere near enough evidence to make a decision.

2 hours ago, robglosta said:

That's harsh, much of what archie says is clearly stated as opinion - somewhat balanced in my opinion.

I only chipped in because he then drew conclusions from those opinions, and that is a scientifically unsound technique. We can't have people doing that sort of thing on here.

44 minutes ago, ilkleyram said:

Well, to paraphrase a quote from a different era and topic, he can clap in time, walk while doing so, and (probably) chew gum as well.  He gets my vote.

That's multi-tasking in my book.

Yes. The fans wanted attractive, winning football, they've got it. MM wanted the team to progress and play the Derby way, irrespective of promotion. He's got that. If we sack another manager, one whose just taken us to Wembley, a lot of managers will see Derby as a club that doesn't reward success and expects more than it deserves. In that instance, it'd be an easy job for many to turn down.

1 hour ago, Ambitious said:

I'm all for Wass and I'm a big fan of his, however, I voted no.

I don't think he shouldn't be given a chance to interview, so to speak, but if he isn't the best man available for the job. He isn't the best man available for the job.

I'd be comfortable with him in the Championship, though. Premier League is a big, big step up in both expectation and difficulty. 

It could go either way. There is absolutely nothing to suggest Nigel Pearson, Brendan Rodgers...etc will all come in and do a superior job. Wassall, at the very least, has shown a lot of potential. 

I tried to write why I voted no but everything I wrote made me sound like a bit of a cockwomble. But this is what I wanted to put. :lol: 

it's not a false dichotomy. 

If he does well, then he's done himself no harm. (though he's still a manager with only about 5 months worth of experience)

If we choose someone else, it might not be down to Wassall "not being good enough" but simply some other candidate is better...

a proper poll on this matter would have a load of different answer for potential outcomes!

It's a big no from me, even if he gets us up into the Prem. When he talks, he doesn't inspire me with any confidence and I just don't have faith in him. As far as managers/coaches go, he's a boy in a man's world and he'd get eaten alive in the Prem. If we stay down, I don't want him in charge of the team either. Everything at the club is geared for the Premier League and I don't want to see a novice at the helm on the playing side

When DW was appointed I thought here we go again, but he has definitely proved to me that he

can manage in the Championship. (and be a good one at that) However, the Prem is a different

matter, even with an experienced promotion winning team and manager just staying up is beyond

most!  So I have to agree with the majority?, and say we need the most experienced person we can

possibly attract. We can afford to have a right good go - so can't believe we would choose not to do

that.

ps haven't voted because of this.

Why are so many talking about the prem when the question is specifically about if we don't go up?

I voted no.

If he gets us up I'd have to back him. Only fair to take on a team low in confidence and guide them to promotion. 

However if he takes on a team in the playoffs and guides them to the playoffs, that's stabilisation. I'm not against that as such, but if someone comes along and offers more I'd want to explore that. But I wouldn't write Wassall off either. He'd be a strong candidate, if the last few games showed staying power. 

If we don't go up who will we get instead? Nigel Pearson? If villa don't beat us to it, Brendan's Rodgers/David Moyes? Would never drop to the championship and would be a coup if we went up. Gary Rowett? Remember we sacked a manager because he played defensive football

Even If we dont get to wembley, still give him a 2 year deal.

Some fans clearly dont like him purely on his interview technique. - Jesus wept!

He's got got the same sort of output in results as Stevie Mac... and

a) hadnt been given as long.... so would no doubt do better over a full season.

b) isnt going to be tempted by better offers, and isnt going to try engineer a move through his agent and the press to newxcastle.

Wassall is a derby man through and through.

shame on you 64% of so called rams fans.

So far, despite the opinions of the vociferous minority, Mel Morris's decision to get rid of Paul Clement and to parachute Darren Wassall into the hot-seat has been completely vindicated, with the team now winning matches and the team playing an effervescent, entertaining style of football with smiles on their faces.

I'm happy with that, but then again, I've never been a hand-wringer.

9 minutes ago, Lord_Ram said:

If we don't go up who will we get instead? Nigel Pearson? If villa don't beat us to it, Brendan's Rodgers/David Moyes? Would never drop to the championship and would be a coup if we went up. Gary Rowett? Remember we sacked a manager because he played defensive football

I would prefer the pair we have (assuming Mel could persuade Arry to postpone his retirement for a few more millions - I mean years) to any name you have mentioned.

I voted yes.

He doesn't come across well in interviews, is far too tanned, doesn't have the necessary experience and just seems a bit of a **** all round if I'm honest.

However, I balance that against the fact that, including Rotherham, despite the last 10 minutes, he's made me look forward with excitement to match days, excitement about the performance, not just the result!

Besides,  a 2 yr deal is easily paid up!

2 hours ago, Arsene Titman said:

It's a big no from me, even if he gets us up into the Prem. When he talks, he doesn't inspire me with any confidence and I just don't have faith in him. As far as managers/coaches go, he's a boy in a man's world and he'd get eaten alive in the Prem. If we stay down, I don't want him in charge of the team either. Everything at the club is geared for the Premier League and I don't want to see a novice at the helm on the playing side

Mr Titman, he doesn't need to inspire confidence in you and your faith in him, or lack of it, is utterly irrelevant. If the team continues to perform the way it is currently, then that should be enough to warrant an extension to his contract. His brief is to get the team playing good football and winning games and it's against this backdrop that he should be evaluated.

Archived