A Simple Darren Wassall Poll

robglosta

Wembley - Contract?  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, eddie said:

I'm not sure whether a single word of this post is right. People who say "...my gut feeling..." and then go on to state "I'm not sure this is the right policy" are purely and simply constructing a strawman. There has been so much supposition which is subsequently dressed up as facts over the last 3 months that I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only sane person left - or the only insane one.

That's good Eddie as I'm not sure a single word of its right either , it's an opinion that was asked for in a thread and given , nothing is dressed up as fact nothing is being constructed , thought the whole point of a forum like this with threads like this one was to stimulate debate and illicit differing opinions ? 

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, archied said:

That's good Eddie as I'm not sure a single word of its right either , it's an opinion that was asked for in a thread and given , nothing is dressed up as fact nothing is being constructed , thought the whole point of a forum like this with threads like this one was to stimulate debate and illicit differing opinions ? 

That's YOUR opinion.

21 minutes ago, archied said:

Is it not yours? Is that not what this forum is for?

I have no opinion - and every opinion. It all depends on who I am on a particular day.

You're never alone with schizophrenia. Bloody good album.

2 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

you lot would've hounded both Clough and Mackay out in the 60s/70s!!!!

The difference is that in those days the only audience they had was a man with a pint of Watneys, a Jack Russell and a flat cap in the local. Now they speak to the whole world with their phones and mummy has taught them that they are entitled to have and say what they want. 

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

you lot would've hounded both Clough and Mackay out in the 60s/70s!!!!

Bit unfair mostyn ,,I won't by attempting to hound Wassall out , this is a forum and just giving an opinion on whether I feel he's the right appointment at this time, I could be wrong and it turns out that Mel sees something in him that makes him want to appoint him and it could turn out to be an inspired choice, my nagging doubt is the appointment of two total novices in a row, to be fair that's not an outrageous concern to have? Did not want clement , agreed with sacking him,, did not want wass but he's a better fit than clement in my opinion , does beg the question that if Mel sees that much promise in wass and was prepared to gamble on a novice step up ,why not wass at start instead of clement who in all honesty we could not know too much about despite him being somewhat overly praised as the next big thing

16 minutes ago, archied said:

Bit unfair mostyn ,,I won't by attempting to hound Wassall out , this is a forum and just giving an opinion on whether I feel he's the right appointment at this time, I could be wrong and it turns out that Mel sees something in him that makes him want to appoint him and it could turn out to be an inspired choice, my nagging doubt is the appointment of two total novices in a row, to be fair that's not an outrageous concern to have? Did not want clement , agreed with sacking him,, did not want wass but he's a better fit than clement in my opinion , does beg the question that if Mel sees that much promise in wass and was prepared to gamble on a novice step up ,why not wass at start instead of clement who in all honesty we could not know too much about despite him being somewhat overly praised as the next big thing

I think you're far too hung up on the 'novice' bit.

IN my opinion, the only thing(s) a novice could come unstuck about are a) Man Management and b) Transfers. The other things, coaching, team selection, formations, tactics etc are not things that you'd consider anyone who's had a career in the game as a 'novice'.

So, Man Management and Transfers. I don't see any issue with the former, and judging by the happiness of the players, even before 'Arry arrived was obvious, I doubt anyone could point to this as being an issue. With regards to transfers, Wassall has not had a transfer window yet, but he's not got full influence to mess it up anyway.

So, my opinion is that your stance regarding 'novice' is unfounded, churlish and unwarranted.

I agree on the coaching bit , but the novice bit I still stand by as it's clear that having a career in football doesn't mean you can make a good manager ,,, buying players , building a team with the right blend is vital as you say , I'm not saying wass or clement won't turn out to be good at it only that at this point in both their development we really can't in all honesty say one way or the other,, that's my hang up with the novice issue , for me I would be going as high up the scale in terms of track record of having those qualities as I could go for Derby s next manager if it was me choosing ,,, that's where the confusion is ,I'm not saying wass or clement are crap and don't have what it takes just that we don't really have a clue as they have never done it before and to go for two punts like that in a row is a bit of a concern ,, surely that's a legitimate concern to have? 

2 minutes ago, archied said:

I agree on the coaching bit , but the novice bit I still stand by as it's clear that having a career in football doesn't mean you can make a good manager ,,, buying players , building a team with the right blend is vital as you say , I'm not saying wass or clement won't turn out to be good at it only that at this point in both their development we really can't in all honesty say one way or the other,, that's my hang up with the novice issue , for me I would be going as high up the scale in terms of track record of having those qualities as I could go for Derby s next manager if it was me choosing ,,, that's where the confusion is ,I'm not saying wass or clement are crap and don't have what it takes just that we don't really have a clue as they have never done it before and to go for two punts like that in a row is a bit of a concern ,, surely that's a legitimate concern to have? 

in essence it's a legitimate concern, but in reality it's unfounded cos you're effectively saying you'd want a manager who's previously performed worse than Wassall is doing right now. There is NOT a manager in the game who hasn't failed or had a worse term in charge than what Wassall is having now. Aside of Guardiola etc.

My issue with you and others with similar view, is simply you're overlooking his actual performance in the job. Pearson for example, did worse in most of his jobs, in most of his seasons until the last two, but people would want him.

5 minutes ago, archied said:

It does make you wonder how Liverpool managed to win all those trophies over the years by bringing through managers from within who today would be called novices and slated. Just compare the number of league titles Liverpool have won since they decided to go for big name managers from the outside rather than people promoted from within who know the club inside out.

why was nt wassle put forward after clough left?

I don't buy idea he needed an extra two seasons in academy.

Sam Rush went out and found best available manager at the time and never gave a thought to giving wassle the job. Fans would have been horrified having a novice as manager back then. What has changes for some to think Wassle better prospect Than others?

Terry Westley improved us greatly as a temporary manager. Was considered,but was not given role permanently......nor was he part of the interview process.

now we have fans having opinion wassle is best available person to manage us

the way people will follow what they are told by a "leader" never ceases to amaze. Nothing surprises me anymore, but the thought of Wassle as manager of Derby in the Premier league scares me. There will be a reason Mel wants him though, to play and run the team the way Mel wants it run. Again, displaying way too much involvement in running the team and the club.

and the moaning about people offering opinions astounds me on a forum....

those unable to read opinions and unable to delink them from fans at a game booing at a game also amaze me.

and finally ......the silent majority would rather not have wassle as manager.

40 minutes ago, ossieram said:

It does make you wonder how Liverpool managed to win all those trophies over the years by bringing through managers from within who today would be called novices and slated. Just compare the number of league titles Liverpool have won since they decided to go for big name managers from the outside rather than people promoted from within who know the club inside out.

because Roy Evans failed, and football moved on. Moved on to be not teams of UK players, but teams full of bought in foreign players.

2 minutes ago, igorlegend said:

because Roy Evans failed, and football moved on. Moved on to be not teams of UK players, but teams full of bought in foreign players.

Any managerial appointment has risks. The managers with least risk cost most as they haven't failed often in the top flight.

Wassall has every right to think he's a good shout for the job permanently as he's done nothing wrong. If we actually go up it'd be criminal to not give him the chance.

Recruitment and team building are the key,The structure at Derby is laid on solid foundations,and the new found wealth

means mistakes can be made,and a few million wasted is fine,Wassell is a coach of quality,and now works with a very expensive squad for a championship club,Mistakes have been made at top level,

And we wait to see,who does what next season,and more important what division we are in.

Any head coach which i think is the route we will take,must,have respect from the owners,and a imput on recruitment.

and time to bring the youngsters in to the first team,and use the academy for most of our players,and use money on

top players for progress in whatever league we are in,

Could be Harry as director of football,and wass being Head coach, 

Me i still like the role of manager,someone paid to structure the playing side,and take responsibility

Head Coaches come and go,and the problem still remains,we are on our 3rd already.

If we reach the premier league this season,We cant have a problem

1 minute ago, GboroRam said:

Any managerial appointment has risks. The managers with least risk cost most as they haven't failed often in the top flight.

Wassall has every right to think he's a good shout for the job permanently as he's done nothing wrong. If we actually go up it'd be criminal to not give him the chance.

he would not be the best candidate it a fair I dependent recruitment process. He knows nothing of international players.

He would not be considered for an other Premier League job. We would need at least ten new signings if we go up.

I accept some fans would want Wassall as manager in the Premier. But it astounds me.

It's the wrong time to ask about Wassall. 

But the question is if we get to the Final and lose should we keep Wassail so I answered NO but I would retain him at the club no doubt about that  .

Now if we get promoted that's a different matter but he would need Harry to help him or another experienced coach if Harry didn't want the job.

Its all hypothetical really as we  have achieved nothing yet  

Up the Rams . 

22 minutes ago, igorlegend said:

And just look how many league titles all that "moving on" has won for them.

Archived