A Simple Darren Wassall Poll

robglosta

Wembley - Contract?  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I said yes but that's because I'm a softy.

I'm basing it on the fact that he turned around a team that was spiralling down, and stabilised them very quickly. They are now playing with more spirit and I'm enjoying it again. 

If I was being hardnosed I'd wonder whether we could do better. 

Wassall was here during the Schteeve era so he knows how the team was set up.The key players already knew how to play that way. Show the players the old DVDs and eventually they will piece it together and reproduce it. This appears to have happened. Arry has encouraged them and it all looks straightforward. Long may it continue. Playing the game that we are playing is the natural game of quite a lot of our players.

As much as it would be harsh on him, I still wouldn't feel confident in his abilities in the Premier League because it's a whole different ball game. 

Despite this, I'm absolutely delighted with the way that he's helped turn our season around and got us enjoying our football again. If he was appointed then I would be 100% behind him and unless we brought in a proven manager who likes good football (e.g. Howe, Laudrup, Rodgers), he would be one of the names at the top of my list (although I am a fan of Rowett, despite his defensive style of management). 

So to conclude, he wouldn't be my first choice but he would be up there, and whatever happens, I'm immensely grateful to him for our resurgence and for giving us that magical night at home vs Hull.

Arry and Wassall would be my dream team.

DW on his own (assuming Redknapp was not an option) would still be preferable, in my mind, to bringing in somebody who wanted to change the whole philosophy of the club in favour of a short-term 'fix'. We've been down that road before, and it's full of potholes.

Voted no, nothing against wass just much rather we got a manager in who held more sway over Mel and football matters , who scouts and recruits players is a massive factor in my view of this issue ,, as seen this year we have brought in players possibly more damaging to us rather than improving us I don't include the two midfielders bought to cover injuries ,, I may be proved wrong and wass turns out fine , my gut feeling is he will be appointed no matter what happens ,I think Mel desperately wants to appoint him as Mel seems to want someone he can mould , I'm not sure this is the right policy but time will tell

No 

but only because I think a manager is needed long term and I just don't think Wassall is cut out for top level management long term, he seemed to lose it a little when we weren't doing so well,, and imo if another bad patch was to occur he wouldn't have the dressing room, like when Shacks ranted at him after the Rotherham collapse. 

I love what he's done for us short term though, he's got me hooked again and the style of football has been a pleasure to watch lately, but long term we need a Nigel Pearson type bloke, someone who commands ultimate respect. 

Just my opinion though  

23 minutes ago, archied said:

Voted no, nothing against wass just much rather we got a manager in who held more sway over Mel and football matters , who scouts and recruits players is a massive factor in my view of this issue ,, as seen this year we have brought in players possibly more damaging to us rather than improving us I don't include the two midfielders bought to cover injuries ,, I may be proved wrong and wass turns out fine , my gut feeling is he will be appointed no matter what happens ,I think Mel desperately wants to appoint him as Mel seems to want someone he can mould , I'm not sure this is the right policy but time will tell

I'm not sure whether a single word of this post is right. People who say "...my gut feeling..." and then go on to state "I'm not sure this is the right policy" are purely and simply constructing a strawman. There has been so much supposition which is subsequently dressed up as facts over the last 3 months that I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only sane person left - or the only insane one.

5 minutes ago, eddie said:

I'm not sure whether a single word of this post is right. People who say "...my gut feeling..." and then go on to state "I'm not sure this is the right policy" are purely and simply constructing a strawman. There has been so much supposition which is subsequently dressed up as facts over the last 3 months that I'm beginning to wonder if I'm the only sane person left - or the only insane one.

That's harsh, much of what archie says is clearly stated as opinion - somewhat balanced in my opinion.

7 minutes ago, eddie said:

Let me make it absolutely clear. You are definitely insane. Whisper this quietly though, but I don't think you are on your own.

10 minutes ago, eddie said:

Not choosing the best available manager is insanity. A few wins means we have a good decent team. Team in Premier League would need massive changes. We need a proven experienced manager if we go up. 

Rarely has a team in the top 2 divisions appointed its youth team manager, especially having ran a proper recruitment and interview process. 

I'm all for Wass and I'm a big fan of his, however, I voted no.

I don't think he shouldn't be given a chance to interview, so to speak, but if he isn't the best man available for the job. He isn't the best man available for the job.

I'd be comfortable with him in the Championship, though. Premier League is a big, big step up in both expectation and difficulty. 

It could go either way. There is absolutely nothing to suggest Nigel Pearson, Brendan Rodgers...etc will all come in and do a superior job. Wassall, at the very least, has shown a lot of potential. 

2 hours ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

got us playing great football like the McClaren days

Has he really though? Ive only been to one game since Wassall was in charge and even though we won (against forest), wre werent great. Not sure about recent performances as I havent been to watch any but I dont think weve been playing great football have we?!

Archived