A Simple Darren Wassall Poll

robglosta

Wembley - Contract?  

243 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

27 minutes ago, ossieram said:

And just look how many league titles all that "moving on" has won for them.

Not winning titles first happened under the system you think is good. (promoting youth team coaches to first team management ) Roy Evans had many attempts. Subsequently so did Kenny. 

Ask how many Liverpool fans think they should have Klopp or an unknown youth team coach? Which do,you think gives them the most likely chance of success? Klopp or a youth team coach managing the first team? Your simplistic idea can be enacted at any point. Just because they neglected to promote from within for 20years does not mean they can't now. And how many failed Roy Evans should they have before they can again recruit externally? Two failed youth coaches or more ? 

And.....please answer this. Do you think we should have recruited Wassle imstead of McClaren then? 

Teams don't win for many reasons. Strength of opposition, or team implosions with Gerrard vs Newcastle.

and, I equally don't buy the argument Man Utd won all those trophies for sticking with a manager. If choosing a manager was as glaringly obvious as you suggest, all clubs including Liverpool would just promote their youth coaches.

and you also ignore the fact, the Liverpool way involved the soon to be managers being involved with the first team. They were not simply youth team managers.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, igorlegend said:

Not winning titles first happened under the system you think is good. (promoting youth team coaches to first team management ) Roy Evans had many attempts. Subsequently so did Kenny. 

Ask how many Liverpool fans think they should have Klopp or an unknown youth team coach? Which do,you think gives them the most likely chance of success? Klopp or a youth team coach managing the first team? Your simplistic idea can be enacted at any point. Just because they neglected to promote from within for 20years does not mean they can't now. And how many failed Roy Evans should they have before they can again recruit externally? Two failed youth coaches or more ? 

And.....please answer this. Do you think we should have recruited Wassle imstead of McClaren then? 

Teams don't win for many reasons. Strength of opposition, or team implosions with Gerrard vs Newcastle.

and, I equally don't buy the argument Man Utd won all those trophies for sticking with a manager. If choosing a manager was as glaringly obvious as you suggest, all clubs including Liverpool would just promote their youth coaches.

and you also ignore the fact, the Liverpool way involved the soon to be managers being involved with the first team. They were not simply youth team managers.

I think it just outlines there's no right answer. The right person can come from within or not. And so can the wrong person. On his merits Daz Waz has done well so far and a change guarantees nothing.

To be frank, whether we go up or not, I'm happy with Daz Waz. 

Not to say I'd necessarily be unhappy with someone else, depends on the person, but I'm enjoying watching Derby play again. We've seen how easy that enjoyment can be frittered away by changing who's in charge, I'm not sure I'd risk it. 

It's a difficult one this. His record, whether we go up or not, is very impressive at the moment. If he gets us to Wembley then I think that he does deserve the job permanently. If we miss out in the playoffs, and especially if it's heavily, then I personally would look for someone with more experience and (if Wasall is willing to go back to the kids) have him working more closely to the new manager so that he can be promised the job when it next becomes available. We don't know if Mel has got the new manager already tied to the club and waiting to be installed as was first assumed. Wassall could possibly know his role at the club next season is with the kids and be happy with that. Whatever happens Wassall deserves our thanks for his work since taking on the main role, and our support if he gets it permanently as all new managers should get. I admit that I would have some doubts about him because of his inexperience. He hasn't signed anyone yet, even though as someone else said that wouldn't be totally down to him. We also don't know how he would react to a poor spell of form (he took the job when the team was doing badly and the pressure wasn't entirely on him as no one excepted much from him). The only thing that I can really hope for is that whatever decision the club makes, or Mel if you prefer, is that it is the correct one. After all Mel is the one that most needs the next decision to be the correct one, and in my opinion deserves it to be too.

47 minutes ago, igorlegend said:

Just imagine where we could have been if we had! Poor old Leicester would be battling for 2nd with spurs right now :thumbsup:

I think this poll is a waste at this time. We could loose the next 3 playing awful football, scrape through to the final playing awful and get promoted by a Bobby Zamora own goal. In which case no as the standard of football would have deteriorated. 

However we could win the next 5 games in style making Barcelona look like a pub team and lose 1 nil to a Bobby Zamora goal in injury time.

maybe do a poll after the season is over so you can apply some context around performances and results?

my only concern with Wassal is the calibre of player he may be able to attract if we were promoted as a relatively unknown inexperienced manager. 

#fencesitter

2 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

I think this poll is a waste at this time. We could loose the next 3 playing awful football, scrape through to the final playing awful and get promoted by a Bobby Zamora own goal. In which case no as the standard of football would have deteriorated. 

However we could win the next 5 games in style making Barcelona look like a pub team and lose 1 nil to a Bobby Zamora goal in injury time.

maybe do a poll after the season is over so you can apply some context around performances and results?

my only concern with Wassal is the calibre of player he may be able to attract if we were promoted as a relatively unknown inexperienced manager. 

#fencesitter

Spot on. 

3 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

#fencesitter

Times arent what they are used to be.

Its not up to Wassall to meer the player, or dare |I say it drive down to London and knock on his front door ans refuse to leave until he signs.

Rush and the club take care of transfers these days. The permanent signing of Bent and Pearce were put in place between McClaren and PC coming in. Ince too was on loan here, and the club will have decided to go after him, rather than PC who had just come here from another coujntry.

So I dont buy the scenario that Wassall will / or will not be attracting the players.

46 minutes ago, jagerbob said:

Times arent what they are used to be.

Its not up to Wassall to meer the player, or dare |I say it drive down to London and knock on his front door ans refuse to leave until he signs.

Rush and the club take care of transfers these days. The permanent signing of Bent and Pearce were put in place between McClaren and PC coming in. Ince too was on loan here, and the club will have decided to go after him, rather than PC who had just come here from another coujntry.

So I dont buy the scenario that Wassall will / or will not be attracting the players.

They (players who sign for us) always cite Moor Farm and the facilities there as the convincing factor for them coming to Derby City ;) - Darren Wassall occasionally had somethng to do with that place in the dim and distant past, I recall.

I'm eating humble pie. I slated the decision to appoint Wassall but I clearly know fxck all! 

Quite happily being proved wrong and long may it continue provided that for the most part we attempt to play the quick pressing football that makes the crowd pur (I'm aware we can't play that way all the time, some games just don't allow for it).

If he gets us to Wembley then it is an outstanding achievement considering the situation he came into in terms of form and poor performances. To prevent a collapse similar to last season has been incredible. Our season was over a few weeks back and now its alive and kicking. 

Come on Wassall and the boys!

5 hours ago, EnigmaRam said:

#fencesitter

Brilliant - the stupid 178 pollsters! 

The context is that we are now guaranteed play offs, so if he takes us up through them (as we are in them....) does he deserve a contract. The next three games are largely irrespective other than for indicating who our opponent will be. 

Oh my God, I cannot believe the naivety  of people on this forum. You genuinely think any of our good form is down to Wassall? I've seen a lot of us recently and could not believe my eyes against Hull (the first game after Harry returned from Jordan and had had input into the team properly). The team setup was perfect, defence 10 yards up the pitch, playing at a quicker tempo, getting the ball forward quicker and playing from there, playing to our attacking strengths, the confidence of the players...the whole balance of the team was the best since our great days under McClaren. 

Cast your mind back to the previous games Wassall was in charge on his own....and you would really give him a contract to continue with the risk of Harry possibly not being there?? Wassall had no control over the big characters in the squad who had a complete lack of faith in him tactically and as a man manager, hence the Rotherham situation as a result. Have people forgotten that? 

We'd beat our own bloody lowest points total by an absolute mile we gave Wassall a contract. Makes me laugh how Wassall has the front to take the credit as well and has not once mentioned Harry! Rant over! :)

10 minutes ago, ChorleyRam said:

Oh my God, I cannot believe the naivety  of people on this forum. You genuinely think any of our good form is down to Wassall? I've seen a lot of us recently and could not believe my eyes against Hull (the first game after Harry returned from Jordan and had had input into the team properly). The team setup was perfect, defence 10 yards up the pitch, playing at a quicker tempo, getting the ball forward quicker and playing from there, playing to our attacking strengths, the confidence of the players...the whole balance of the team was the best since our great days under McClaren. 

Cast your mind back to the previous games Wassall was in charge on his own....and you would really give him a contract to continue with the risk of Harry possibly not being there?? Wassall had no control over the big characters in the squad who had a complete lack of faith in him tactically and as a man manager, hence the Rotherham situation as a result. Have people forgotten that? 

We'd beat our own bloody lowest points total by an absolute mile we gave Wassall a contract. Makes me laugh how Wassall has the front to take the credit as well and has not once mentioned Harry! Rant over! :)

I think a village is missing its idiot.

;)

(yes, I did recognise that it was a post made in jest)

20 minutes ago, ChorleyRam said:

So your giving wassall no credit for the recent upturn in performances and form ? I'm not doubting harry may have had a positive effect on the squad but you can't give him all the credit he's been here 5 minutes . Wassalls learning at this level , but from day one you've been able to see his intent,  his attacking play and movement.  Yeah it's not always worked but he was coming into a squad low on form , confidence and belief and that doesn't just get shook off in 4 days . So if and its a massve if wassall gets us up he's got to be seriously considered , probably with the guidance of an older head but he needs to be considered.  He fully knows the way mel wants to take this club from the youth set up to the top . 

1 hour ago, ChorleyRam said:

Hi Harry, hope your 'Audience with' went well this evening.

I heard it was very well supported, with a packed house hanging on your every word, unless the taxman is reading, in which case Rosie and Mel longed for some company in the otherwise empty Toyota Suite.

Fetch girl, Woof!

Wassall's done the job he's been asked to do, but I'm not sure he can do the next job.

This job was to come in and get the team both happy and playing attractive football. He's achieved that and, as a bonus, got us into the play-off's with a very real chance of winning them. I'm really happy with how he's done it, particularly when you consider all the stick he's had to put up with from the fans. There is 'the Redknapp effect' which places some ambiguity over what percentage of this achievement was Wassall's, but we'll never really know what's going on with that.

However, the next job is to get this team to the Premier League sustainably and keep them there. We're going to need someone who's going to be tactically aware enough, attract the right type of players, handle the media stress of being in the worlds most popular league and continue 'the Derby way' through thick and thin. It's a big ask and a whole new level, really.

I'm not 100% sold on the idea of him taking over permanently.

8 hours ago, Leicester Ram said:

Wassall's done the job he's been asked to do, but I'm not sure he can do the next job.

This job was to come in and get the team both happy and playing attractive football. He's achieved that and, as a bonus, got us into the play-off's with a very real chance of winning them. I'm really happy with how he's done it, particularly when you consider all the stick he's had to put up with from the fans. There is 'the Redknapp effect' which places some ambiguity over what percentage of this achievement was Wassall's, but we'll never really know what's going on with that.

However, the next job is to get this team to the Premier League sustainably and keep them there. We're going to need someone who's going to be tactically aware enough, attract the right type of players, handle the media stress of being in the worlds most popular league and continue 'the Derby way' through thick and thin. It's a big ask and a whole new level, really.

I'm not 100% sold on the idea of him taking over permanently.

On the other hand, you're not 100% against it....

Archived