Richard Keogh - always got a mistake in him

mumblemumble

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, mumblemumble said:

Sorry I was wrong, always got 2 mistakes in him...

The great thing about winning is that you disappear again.

1 hour ago, jagerbob said:

i agree when its 1%

Its never 1% with Keogh, its more like 20% - which is way to high for a centre half. he needs to stop the suicide passes when if he screws up he puts a guy through on goal.

He probably makes 4-5 mistakes a season ! 20 % ? come on get a grip !

2 hours ago, Lord_Ram said:

Is that the first mistake which has led the opposition to a goal this season? 1 serious mistake in 43 games or 3870 minutes? I make that 0.026 percent that Keogh makes a mistake that leads to a goal

No Huddersfield away was a true error leading to a goal.

Tonight looked worse at the game than it did on the highlights.

I still support him fully.

8 hours ago, Chris Mills said:

Indeed. I challenge anyone to find me a player that doesn't make mistakes, and regularly at that. 

If you're meaning ball playing CB's, Thiago Silva is pretty good shout.

I know he has slipped once though.

Part of the problem, despite all his attributes, is that he never looks composed. He's got a weird running style, his head seems to spring backwards when he heads the ball. He's got the whole crazy eyes thing going on. When he's moving out of defence in possession you're bricking it, despite the fact that he's actually not that bad a passer of the ball. He just doesn't look the part and maybe that's why his mistakes are magnified. It makes people feel as if their footballing judgement is vindicated when they're actually missing the reality. They can't see beyond his lack of style and appreciate the substance.

Couldn't be arrised to read the whole thread so it's probably been said before..but tell me a defender that doesn't have a mistake in them. Players are human, not robots...

We have had some splendid World Class defenders through the years that I have been privileged to watch...Roy Mac, McGrath, Igor, Mark Wright, Colin Todd.. And not any of them were without fault. 

Even the very very best like Bobby Moore or Beckenbuer made howlers. 

Keogh is a decent defender for the level he plays at. I expect mistakes from him and Shacks. But in general they are serving us very well and put real shifts in. 

Keogh's game has been transformed this year (and I give PC credit for that). I just wish DW hadn't have made him captain though, he takes the responsibility of that too seriously and I feel it does make a difference to his game. Let him just concentrate on defending.

5 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Keogh's game has been transformed this year (and I give PC credit for that). I just wish DW hadn't have made him captain though, he takes the responsibility of that too seriously and I feel it does make a difference to his game. Let him just concentrate on defending.

He hasn't been transformed. Keogh being a bad defender was a myth propagated by bitter, angry, and frustrated Derby fans who never got over losing the play off final and were looking for scapegoats after missing out on the playoffs. I'm not quite sure how he managed to get in the championship team of the season if he was so badly in need of transforming.

1 hour ago, Casio said:

How is this a debate? He's our best defender and is going to win player of the season.

Any player at this level has a mistake in them, otherwise they would be playing at a higher level. 

Because it's a forum where people share their opinion, the latter part I bolded being yours. 

At fault for both goals. Luckily we have enough going forward to counteract his two lapses of judgement/composure/ability.

I think that because there are sick polar opposite views on Keogh it goes to show you that he isn't the next beckenbaur some would have you believe and also he isn't a clown, he is somewhere inbetween. 

For what it's worth, I think he is a liability, but I also think that almost every defender in the championship is a liability, otherwise they would be playing at a better level.

10 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

Because it's a forum where people share their opinion, the latter part I bolded being yours. 

At fault for both goals. Luckily we have enough going forward to counteract his two lapses of judgement/composure/ability.

My point being, name a central defender at this level (or even the premier league) who hasn't got a mistake in them?

One of the hardest positions to play as in you make a mistake as a centre back, likelyhood is there is going to be a chance as a result of it. A striker misses an open goal, yes its frustrating but chances are he'll get another go during the game. A defender/goalkeeper makes a mistake, he doesn't get a replay.

Just think people are being daft picking fault in him, he's been our best player this season. Captain armband or no captain armband. 

Archived