Richard Keogh - always got a mistake in him

mumblemumble

19 minutes ago, Casio said:

My point being, name a central defender at this level (or even the premier league) who hasn't got a mistake in them?

One of the hardest positions to play as in you make a mistake as a centre back, likelyhood is there is going to be a chance as a result of it. A striker misses an open goal, yes its frustrating but chances are he'll get another go during the game. A defender/goalkeeper makes a mistake, he doesn't get a replay.

Just think people are being daft picking fault in him, he's been our best player this season. Captain armband or no captain armband. 

I think if you are at fault for two goals out of two goals conceded, you are going to get stick. And probably rightly so. 

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

I think if you are at fault for two goals out of two goals conceded, you are going to get stick. And probably rightly so. 

Okay fair play. But know you aren't gonna find anyone else who is as good and (generally) consistent as Keogh at this level. Even teams like Man City are struggling to find CB's who haven't got a mistake in them!

3 hours ago, Anon said:

He hasn't been transformed. Keogh being a bad defender was a myth propagated by bitter, angry, and frustrated Derby fans who never got over losing the play off final and were looking for scapegoats after missing out on the playoffs. I'm not quite sure how he managed to get in the championship team of the season if he was so badly in need of transforming.

Now that is a daft statement. He spent too much time off his feet and charging around chasing the ball. PC sorted him out and made him a much better player for it. 

42 minutes ago, bcnram said:

Now that is a daft statement. He spent too much time off his feet and charging around chasing the ball. PC sorted him out and made him a much better player for it. 

You're entitled to your opinion but, as I've already pointed out, my opinion is backed by footballers voting in the PFA team of the year awards whereas yours is backed by you and.... erm Kenny Burns? It sounds like something he'd come up with.

1 hour ago, bcnram said:

His peers voted him into the Football League team of the year before Clement was even on Derby's radar - and given the choice of agreeing with the consensus of opinion from his fellow professionals or that of a random internet guy, I know who I would believe.

(Random internet guy, of course)

41 minutes ago, Anon said:

You're entitled to your opinion but, as I've already pointed out, my opinion is backed by footballers voting in the PFA team of the year awards whereas yours is backed by you and.... erm Kenny Burns? It sounds like something he'd come up with.

Yep mine is backed by seeing him week in, week out, I like the guy, I like him as a player and I can understand how some people like to see someone charging about diving in front of players but not in control. He is a much, much better player now. Ask yourself this, how many times have you seen him diving around this season compared with last season? I prefer this years model.

27 minutes ago, eddie said:

His peers voted him into the Football League team of the year before Clement was even on Derby's radar - and given the choice of agreeing with the consensus of opinion from his fellow professionals or that of a random internet guy, I know who I would believe.

(Random internet guy, of course)

I should think so :ph34r:

Keogh's been by far our best player this season and consistently good since he joined the club. For the level we're at, he's an excellent player. He's also proved himself on the international stage defending very well for a Republic team that has to do a lot of defending. Having this thread on the forum's an embarrassment.

Defensive mistakes are always highlighted more than errors elsewhere on the pitch.  A striker can mess up 4 times out of 5 and score the other time, and people will say he played well.  A defender messes up once out of 5 at crucial times in a game and it's all people will remember (this is especially true for goalkeepers).  We should, i think, be more forgiving of the occasional defensive error as they are an unavoidable part of defending.  Keogh makes his fair share, but overall he has been very good for us.  You won't find any World class (whatever that means) defenders playing in the championship. 

He's an exceptional player at this level:

- He's one of the fastest centre backs I've ever seen

- He is an excellent passer of the ball (one of the highest % completion in the division) and has good ball control in spite of his less than graceful technique

- He is confident and reliable at bringing the ball out of defence

- He starts a high number of our attacks

Did he become a better player under PC or did he have much more support as we were far more defence minded as a team hence a few more mistakes recently as our defence is more exposed when attacks break down ,, it's the price you pay , the blokes a decent player ,, seeing him and shackell together I don't rate shackell any higher than keough ,shackell just appears calmer in his demeanour 

45 minutes ago, archied said:

Did he become a better player under PC or did he have much more support as we were far more defence minded as a team hence a few more mistakes recently as our defence is more exposed when attacks break down ,, it's the price you pay , the blokes a decent player ,, seeing him and shackell together I don't rate shackell any higher than keough ,shackell just appears calmer in his demeanour 

PC changed his game and he became a better player, by the same token I don't think that PC did Shackell any favours asking him to play it across the back. Wassell seems to have that about right. Personally, so long as there isn't a stream of mistakes from any of the players I don't mind the odd cock up, that comes with the territory of being more attacking.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived