Gary Neville is available

toddy

55 minutes ago, Anon said:

I find it quite amusing that Neville seems to be coming out of this absolute debacle unscathed in the eyes of many English fans. The mitigating circumstances you mentioned were known to Neville before he took over. I don't see how it is the fault of Valencia fans that Neville was arrogant enough to take on such a high profile job, in a league where he has no experience, where he doesn't speak the language as his first ever managerial appoinment because he is a business partner of the owner. His performance was abysmal and Valencia can count themselves lucky to still be 6 points clear of the relegation zone, regardless of how many articles the BBC publish claiming Neville was just unlucky.

I don't think he has come out 'unscathed' at all. Everyone knows it's been a poor move on his part and he is unlikely to manage a team in the near future because of it. 

I do appreciate that an English manager however has taken a risk and gone abroad. Too often in modern football English players and managers rarely venture outside of England. It's a great shame and I feel would offer a lot to develop English players and managers at a time where especially in terms of managers, England has a poor crop of talent competing in the top-tier of football.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was wondering how long it would take for his name to come up on here.

dont know if that's an indication of the low quality of managers who would be linked with the Derby job, or the sheer lunacy of  opinion we all have.

Gary Neville? Well he did a brilliant job in his last manager role......

13 minutes ago, YouRams said:

Id take him as an assistant manager, clearly has a footballing brain proven during his time on SS. Too inexperienced for what we need for the managers job though. Hoddle and Neville with Redknapp as the advisor :ph34r:

That's 3 in charge then.....:lol:

I do agree with some that he does have a footballing brain, very difficult trying to get ideas across to those that speak a different language.

8 minutes ago, DerbyPride said:

Let's say he did come to us and let's say he did well. As soon as Man Utd or England came calling he'd be off quicker than Andy Reid to the opening of a new Greggs. No longevity which is what Mel wants.

Wouldn't that be the same scenario whoever got the job and was successful?

11 minutes ago, toddy said:

Wouldn't that be the same scenario whoever got the job and was successful?

Well if Mel wants Derby's answer to Alex Ferguson he'd certainly hope not. How realistic that is I don't know. It would depend on the loyalty and character of the manager. Due to his past career, I expect GNev would certainly have higher aspirations than most (with the feeling being mutual for his perspective employers) of managing those Utd and England.

2 hours ago, Anon said:

I'm not a scouser, so I don't see what I could possibly hold a grudge over. Nothing I've said is untrue.

I'm just annoyed that people are still making excuses for the guy. I said when he took the position that it was a stupid and arrogant mistake. Instead of putting in the work and learning his trade at a smaller club he decided he would waltz into one of the bigger jobs in European football. He got found out very quickly and somehow the general concensus is still "Good old GNev! At least he tried. What a shame those mean Valencia fans didn't like a manager being appointed solely on the basis that he is mates with the chairman."

Can't wait for him to come back to MNF and indulge in the kind of painfully unfunny "bantz" beloved by the type of people that read the lad bible religiously.

Would never happen here thank God:ph34r:

Neville was so full of himself playing, some would say he had a winning culture, me whenever he played here or when I went to the theatre, I saw a mardy, whinge at the ref, want his own way, with a massive chip on his shoulder player.

Just no thanks.

7 hours ago, Shuff264 said:

A far worse appointment could be made, and Valencia was like a baptism of fire. Team in a tough position, in a country he didnt speak the language of and fans that didnt want him there.

The team weren't in a tough position before he got there, they were only a few points off the top 4 now he has left them 6 points of the bottom 3

2 hours ago, Coconut said:

That's a bit harsh, I wouldn't want him at the club, but I don't think he's done anything to warrant being banned from entering the city!

Fair enough. I take some of it back. As long as he is not there simultaneously with me.

Archived