Gary Neville is available

toddy

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, Shuff264 said:

A far worse appointment could be made, and Valencia was like a baptism of fire. Team in a tough position, in a country he didnt speak the language of and fans that didnt want him there.

I find it quite amusing that Neville seems to be coming out of this absolute debacle unscathed in the eyes of many English fans. The mitigating circumstances you mentioned were known to Neville before he took over. I don't see how it is the fault of Valencia fans that Neville was arrogant enough to take on such a high profile job, in a league where he has no experience, where he doesn't speak the language as his first ever managerial appoinment because he is a business partner of the owner. His performance was abysmal and Valencia can count themselves lucky to still be 6 points clear of the relegation zone, regardless of how many articles the BBC publish claiming Neville was just unlucky.

2 minutes ago, Anon said:

I find it quite amusing that Neville seems to be coming out of this absolute debacle unscathed in the eyes of many English fans. The mitigating circumstances you mentioned were known to Neville before he took over. I don't see how it is the fault of Valencia fans that Neville was arrogant enough to take on such a high profile job, in a league where he has no experience, where he doesn't speak the language as his first ever managerial appoinment because he is a business partner of the owner. His performance was abysmal and Valencia can count themselves lucky to still be 6 points clear of the relegation zone, regardless of how many articles the BBC publish claiming Neville was just unlucky.

Tad of a grudge there?

Just now, Mafiabob said:

Tad of a grudge there?

I'm not a scouser, so I don't see what I could possibly hold a grudge over. Nothing I've said is untrue.

I'm just annoyed that people are still making excuses for the guy. I said when he took the position that it was a stupid and arrogant mistake. Instead of putting in the work and learning his trade at a smaller club he decided he would waltz into one of the bigger jobs in European football. He got found out very quickly and somehow the general concensus is still "Good old GNev! At least he tried. What a shame those mean Valencia fans didn't like a manager being appointed solely on the basis that he is mates with the chairman."

Can't wait for him to come back to MNF and indulge in the kind of painfully unfunny "bantz" beloved by the type of people that read the lad bible religiously.

Just because he played under Ferguson does not mean he will become a successful manager,

I mean just look at them !! hardly an elite list,

players yes, managers no !!

he has had his moment and proved that he he should stick to TV work !!

Viv Anderson,

Michael Appleton,

Henning Berg,

Clayton Blackmore,

Laurent Blanc,

Steve Bruce,

Chris Casper,

Peter Davenport,

Simon Davies,

Darren Ferguson,

Ryan Giggs,

David Healy,

Gabriel Heinze,

Mark Hughes,

Paul Ince,

Andrei Kanchelskis,

Roy Keane,

Henrik Larsson,

Pat McGibbon, 

Gary Neville,

Paul Parker,

Mike Phelan,

Bryan Robson,

Mark Robins,

Teddy Sheringham,

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer,

Frank Stapleton,

Gordon Strachan,

Chris Turner,

Neil Webb

cant think of any more ??

Valencia head coach Gary Neville has revealed in an exclusive interview with Sky Sports that the current focus is Valencia, but his long-term future does not lie in management.

But the Englishman's long-term future is clear in his head, and speaking with Sky Sports' Geoff Shreeves, Neville said: "I'm not going to say where I want to end up, and it isn't in management or head coaching, so I want to be clear about that. 

"That's not my ultimate goal of where I want to be. From my point of view, I was really enjoying what I was doing, I really was, the multiple things I had on, even though I knew it was coming to a point where I had to make decisions at the end of this season. 

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11827/10117977/gary-neville-tells-sky-sports-his-future-does-not-lie-in-management

For that reason, I'm out....not that I was ever really in.

In fairness to Neville he has backed himself to do a tough job and it hasn't worked out, I have done that in my career before and come out of the back of it absolutely fine. Is he the man for Derby (or any club at a decent level) right now? Not a chance. Could he one day use this as a learning experience and become a good manager? I don't see why not.

Archived