Wassall Out?

YorkshireRam

I would say about 50/50 amongst the people I know, whether regular attendees at games or not. I don't think that it's changed much over the weeks he's been in charge either. 

People were either prepared to give him a chance or they weren't. 

Whether that opinion has changed in the last 24 hours I can't say as I haven't wanted to find out.

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, G STAR RAM said:

One of our most successful managers, and one who had bags of experience, Arthur Cox was once given a massive budget for this division and he failed with it.

The point I am making, or at least I think I am trying to make, is that there is no set template for management.

Some managers fail where you think they would suceed and some thrive against all odds.

I think there are very few factors which can significantly swing the odds one way or the other.

Yes, but installing a temporary coach to head coach who has very little 1st team experience. It is at best a massive gamble, the same type of gamble as bringing in a coach who had only ever worked as a no2.

That failed, so why gamble again?

Hopefully 30th of next month brings and end to Wassall and we can move on.

8 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

He's shown himself to be tactically naïve and a bit of a prat, just what the youngsters need.

Yes definitely. I would definitely think twice about moving him back to the academy, look at the mess he has left them in.

A lot of our fans have shown themselves to be 'a bit of a prat' with their treatment of Darren Wassall...just what the club need.

18 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

Absolutely cannot wait for Tuesday to be over and done with. Wassall can go back to the academy, or to the job centre, or wherever, and we can all finally move on from this absolute **** show of a season.

Wake me when it's Wednesday. 

I absolutely can't wait for Wednesday as I assume after then that the likes of you will disappear until next season and we'll get a few weeks where we don't have to listen to your whiny, self-entitled blather.

We came up short but nobody died and the world, strangely enough, carried on spinning. I'm afraid your 'insights' are little more than childish prattle and say far more about your character (or lack of it) than they do about DCFC. 

COYR

10 hours ago, RoyMac5 said:

Then maybe he's out of his depth elsewhere. Can't say his behaviour has convinced me he's right for the Academy tbh.

You are aware he's been looking after the academy for years prior to the last couple of months and that they've just secured promotion to the top tier, aren't you? Your comment is the very definition of idiocy.

6 minutes ago, 86 points said:

You are aware he's been looking after the academy for years prior to the last couple of months and that they've just secured promotion to the top tier, aren't you? Your comment is the very definition of idiocy.

Unfortunately, personal agendas and the desperation to be proved right are much more important to some than the future of the club.

Anyway, I heard that it was Redknapp that got the u21s over the finish line.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Unfortunately, personal agendas and the desperation to be proved right are much more important to some than the future of the club.

Anyway, I heard that it was Redknapp that got the u21s over the finish line.

Spot on G-Star. Apparently Harry was in charge of all the games we won and none of the ones we lost as well as taking the U21's to the promised land. He should be given the keys to the city without delay whilst Wassall should be dragged into the city centre and flogged to within an inch of his life for letting down the 'fans' so horribly.

49 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Yes definitely. I would definitely think twice about moving him back to the academy, look at the mess he has left them in.

A lot of our fans have shown themselves to be 'a bit of a prat' with their treatment of Darren Wassall...just what the club need.

To be fair, he seems a bit of an idiot with his comments in interviews but thats probably down to him trying to be positive, not slate players and look for the good points in the game. (Even if there are not any) i just think it comes across wrong. 

He's probably a nice bloke, he's done a good job with the academy. I dont blame him for having a stab at the top job because we would all do the same if we were in that position. He's obviously trying his best. Its just his best isnt good enough. Its his first stab at the top job and he appears out of his depth. Fair play and thanks for having a go at it Darren but its time for a real manager now 

I do feel for the players, assuming that the instruction came from the head coach to bypass Hughes by hitting long diagonal balls up to the front, which were accepted with glee by Hull. 

Martin excels when the ball is played anywhere from his chest downwards, he barely received that type of ball. 

the forwards looked as if they were trying to replicate training routines to the letter rather than taking an occasional shot. 

I think the current head coach has messed up a bit in this game. I suspect he will voluntarily go back to his old job, or there will be a face saving excercise and he will be given a new title but doing his old job. 

13 minutes ago, G-Ram said:

To be fair, he seems a bit of an idiot with his comments in interviews but thats probably down to him trying to be positive, not slate players and look for the good points in the game. (Even if there are not any) i just think it comes across wrong. 

He's probably a nice bloke, he's done a good job with the academy. I dont blame him for having a stab at the top job because we would all do the same if we were in that position. He's obviously trying his best. Its just his best isnt good enough. Its his first stab at the top job and he appears out of his depth. Fair play and thanks for having a go at it Darren but its time for a real manager now 

To be fair to him he has been on the defensive since day one as it was obvious that some 'supporters' wanted him out before he had taken his first training session.

It's ironic that some that are calling him 'Waffle', 'idiot', 'clown' etc because of his interviews, are the same people that want Nigel Pearson in. 

In his time as manager he has probably made 3 bad decisions:-

1 - The substitutes against Rotherham. Easy to say that in hindsight. I wonder what would have been said if Thorne had broken his leg 5 minutes from the end of that game with us 3-0 up. I bet I can guess.

2 - Starting Hughes at CDM on Saturday, although I think the fans were probably 50/50 on that decision at the time.

3 - Not changing point 2 when it became obvious it was not working.

Do I think Wassall should get the position full time. No.

However, that does not mean I am going to take absolutely anything as an opportunity to rip him to pieces, and let's be honest, that is what is happening. It's absolutely disgraceful seeing some of the language used about him.

To completely out the icing on the cake we now have someone questioning whether he should be allowed to go back to the academy.

19 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

To be fair to him he has been on the defensive since day one as it was obvious that some 'supporters' wanted him out before he had taken his first training session.

It's ironic that some that are calling him 'Waffle', 'idiot', 'clown' etc because of his interviews, are the same people that want Nigel Pearson in. 

1 - The substitutes against Rotherham. Easy to say that in hindsight. I wonder what would have been said if Thorne had broken his leg 5 minutes from the end of that game with us 3-0 up. I bet I can guess.

2 - Starting Hughes at CDM on Saturday, although I think the fans were probably 50/50 on that decision at the time.

However, that does not mean I am going to take absolutely anything as an opportunity to rip him to pieces, and let's be honest, that is what is happening. It's absolutely disgraceful seeing some of the language used about him.

To completely out the icing on the cake we now have someone questioning whether he should be allowed to go back to the academy.

I agree he has done wonders with the academy and in all honesty he has brought this squad back from the brink of a mid table finish getting the team to play in a way that more resembled what this team is capable of. His highlights were obviously the win at brentford, the important win against forest and the 4-0 demolition of Hull. His inexperience has cost us and until Saturday i thought he had got this team playing with some passion, it took him 30mins to come and face the media so i suspect a few choice words were said to the players for some time. 

He doesn't deserve all the flak he is getting but i do not feel he is the right man to take us forward. To be honest after experiencing the abuse he has been getting since taking the top job will he even want to go back to the academy? Who knows. 

16 hours ago, Derby_EnglandLoyal said:

He might still be in charge next season. 

I hope not DEL! Hope he goes back to the academy. Would be really angry as would a lot of other fans if he was in charge here next season. P. S enjoy the euros and stay safe, will take your mind of this season a bit.

11 hours ago, David said:

Genuine question, is there a huge negative feeling towards Wassall in the pubs and at the ground during the game?

Social media is always fickle and I'd hate for any appointment to be decided on that and forums such as this which are make up for a small minority. 

Nobody on here can answer that David as those of us on social media sites don't get out often.

50 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I agree 

like i say cant blame him for taking the role until the end of the season. Its clearly not working. Ive been critical of him but agree some of the stuff people are writing now is over the top. He's done a great job with the academy and hopefully goes back there. I wouldnt want to see him go from the club i just dont think he's the right man for the first team managers role

Wassell has been a good servant to the Rams, when he was appointed first team coach I thought it was a bad idea, can he go back to the academy and earn the respect of the kids and would the new coach feel he could work with him?

5 hours ago, G-Ram said:

like i say cant blame him for taking the role until the end of the season. Its clearly not working. Ive been critical of him but agree some of the stuff people are writing now is over the top. He's done a great job with the academy and hopefully goes back there. I wouldnt want to see him go from the club i just dont think he's the right man for the first team managers role

I can. I said at the time it could backfire on him and affect his role in the Academy. Well I think the way he's done the 1st team job will have a detrimental affect if he goes back to the Academy. But only time will tell. For me this is another example of poor decision-making.

8 hours ago, G STAR RAM said:

The only other bad decision I would say is trying 4-4-2 against MK Dons, with Russell up front. Totally agree with the rest.

Archived