Wassall Out?

YorkshireRam

• Replies 635
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

I don't want to sound abrupt, but i wish all you mel bashers would engage that small organ in your head before typing!!.

So Mel coming in has put us in a worse position than 12 months ago then eh?

Lets look at that.

2014/2015 finished 7th

2015/2016 finished 5th. 

Pumped multi millions of his OWN money to buy players that CLEMENT wanted, how the **** is he to blame for putting his trust into his manager if he says that player will improve the team.

Who have we sold in the last 12 months that's been so important to this team and not replaced him?.

He's pumping his OWN money into massively improving our acadamy/ training facilities to make it in the top 5 in the ****** WORLD!!!.

Yeah were in a right mess now.

If you all think this guy has ruined the club PISS OFF AND SUPPORT BURTON, I'm getting sick of reading these ill informed posts from people who have just spat their dummy out cos we lost.

Their heads are so far up their arses, it might be appropriate to say that they shat their dummies out.

PistoldPete2
11 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

I don't want to sound abrupt, but i wish all you mel bashers would engage that small organ in your head before typing!!.

Lets look at that.

2014/2015 finished 7th

2015/2016 finished 5th. 

Pumped multi millions of his OWN money to buy players that CLEMENT wanted, how the **** is he to blame for putting his trust into his manager if he says that player will improve the team.

Who have we sold in the last 12 months that's been so important to this team and not replaced him?.

He's pumping his OWN money into massively improving our acadamy/ training facilities to make it in the top 5 in the ****** WORLD!!!.

If you all think this guy has ruined the club PISS OFF AND SUPPORT BURTON, I'm getting sick of reading these ill informed posts from people who have just spat their dummy out cos we lost.

I think it would be wrong to appear ungrateful to mel Morris for pumping his own money in, you are right.

But blaming the manager for everything just isnt right either. The recruitment is not done by the manager.  The wrong players have been brought in.. weve paid too much for them and thats a reflection on the recruitment team and the set up generally.

The effects of FFP are hard to understand but blowing so much money on rubbish players could bite us in the bum so who knows we could be in a worse position now then we were last year because of that .

32 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

You've quickly reverted to the 'we need experience' line.

Which managers that are available, have had success more than once at this level?

Neil Warnock. And yes I would.

As a general point, I'm unsure what is so attractive about the current vogue of giving coaches their first managerial experience at clubs in the top 2 divisions. Let them make their mistakes elsewhere.

18 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Lets look at that.

2014/2015 finished 7th

2015/2016 finished 5th. 

That's where you're wrong though.

We don't want Mel to interfere with first team matters yet he is supposed to judge whether the players we are signing are good enough or not.

2 minutes ago, PistoldPete2 said:

I think it would be wrong to appear ungrateful to mel Morris for pumping his own money in, you are right.

But blaming the manager for everything just isnt right either. The recruitment is not done by the manager.  The wrong players have been brought in.. weve paid too much for them and thats a reflection on the recruitment team and the set up generally.

The effects of FFP are hard to understand but blowing so much money on rubbish players could bite us in the bum so who knows we could be in a worse position now then we were last year because of that .

I know we have a recruitment system, but mel has said numerous times Clement ALWAYS had the final say on whether we signed those players and quite a few players were clements choice. The scouting team/ recruitment team can look at all the players they want but it was Clement who had the final say.

To blame MM for putting his trust in his team/manager is just plain wrong.

2 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

Neil Warnock. And yes I would.

As a general point, I'm unsure what is so attractive about the current vogue of giving coaches their first managerial experience at clubs in the top 2 divisions. Let them make their mistakes elsewhere.

Fair answer but I can only imagine the response on here...

There's no guarantees in football. All the people who are angry at Wass's appointment, saying that's the reason why we won't be promoted - it's guesswork. They don't want to admit that but it feeds the ego, telling everyone you knew this would happen (and of course you know what should have been done differently). Frustratingly some of them almost sound like they want failure to self validate their predictions. Being right for  them is more important than seeing success. That's what it looks like to me.

3 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

I know we have a recruitment system, but mel has said numerous times Clement ALWAYS had the final say on whether we signed those players and quite a few players were clements choice. The scouting team/ recruitment team can look at all the players they want but it was Clement who had the final say.

To blame MM for putting his trust in his team/manager is just plain wrong.

Why? Clement had never been a head coach before and he won't have had any power over transfers at Real Madrid/PSG.

The least Mel could have done would be offer him a bit of help in the transfer market where there's been a complete breakdown in decision-making. There should have been a director of football structure.

I think what annoys most people about Morris is this drive for "the Derby way" and promotion not being the goal this season after spending £20m. That will, in time, turn us into a complete joke. I appreciate the money he spent, particularly on the academy, but he needs to take a complete step back, give executive power back to Sam Rush and appoint a director of football to decide how funds are spent.

4 minutes ago, GboroRam said:

There's no guarantees in football. All the people who are angry at Wass's appointment, saying that's the reason why we won't be promoted - it's guesswork. They don't want to admit that but it feeds the ego, telling everyone you knew this would happen (and of course you know what should have been done differently). Frustratingly some of them almost sound like they want failure to self validate their predictions. Being right for  them is more important than seeing success. That's what it looks like to me.

Wasn't angry at Wass's appointment mate. But having given him a reasonable time he seems to lack that intuitive deep understanding of his players. Why was yesterday unexpected for him when we have periodically failed to show this season and a few key people are still only a few games back from lengthy absences.

without that sort of grasp of how players are likely to respond to different approaches he is less likely to find the right one.

Don't know what the better alternative is though right now - don't buy into Pearson personally.....

32 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

Lets look at that.

2014/2015 finished 7th

2015/2016 finished 5th. 

Couldn't agree more. Some people need to be careful what they wish for.

I feel sorry for Wassall & the level of criticism he's getting on here. He was asked to take over the team at a time when we were in terrible form & managed to stabilise the situation to the extent that we comfortably made the playoffs. That seemed highly unlikely after Cardiff away & is a damn sight better than McClaren managed last year.

He's a decent man, a good coach & clearly loves the club. I don't think he should have been appointed as manager/head coach nor should he continue in his current role but he deserves a lot better than this.

7 minutes ago, LeedsCityRam said:

I feel sorry for Wassall & the level of criticism he's getting on here. He was asked to take over the team at a time when we were in terrible form & managed to stabilise the situation to the extent that we comfortably made the playoffs. That seemed highly unlikely after Cardiff away & is a damn sight better than McClaren managed last year.

He's a decent man, a good coach & clearly loves the club. I don't think he should have been appointed as manager/head coach nor should he continue in his current role but he deserves a lot better than this.

Whatever happened with Wassall he was always going to be a scapegoat, even when things were going well people praised Redknapp.

I don't think Wassall should be manager next season, but he really hasn't done a bad job as manager and I hope that he continues his great work with the academy.

I think Wassall has done well since he was asked to take over.

When Mel decided to give Wassall the job until the end of the season we found out promotion wasn't a top priority but playing the Derby Way was. The Derby Way being, from what I gathered, an expressive style of football throughout the club (first team and academy). Another part of what Mel said about the Derby Way was that a new manager would be able to come in and pick up where the last manager left off.

Before Wassall came in we were playing awful, boring football and had form to match. We were just 5 points off the automatic promotion places but I remember feeling at the time that we would drop out of the playoffs if things carried on the way they were going.

Wassall then came in and admittedly things were slow, and for the first few games we still played 'Clement Style' football. However I felt things changed at Rotherham away when for 80 mins of that game we put in what was the best performance of the season to that point playing some great football against Rotherham who were one of the in form sides in the division. The next 10 minutes were dreadful but that's besides the point as we started to play the Derby Way.

Following Rotherham away we went on some very good form and put in some good performances, especially at home. For the first time in a long time I started to enjoy and look forward to going to matches again. By the end of the season we finished 11 points behind the automatic promotion places, however it felt to me as had we stuck with Clement we would have dropped out of the playoffs all together.

Yesterday was pretty awful, there's no denying that, but when you look at the bigger picture and what Wassall has done for the club since he took over I think he's done very well. Arguably expectations for yesterday were only high because Wassall had got us playing well again, unlike a while ago where we would go into every game and expect to lose. Wassall managed to take a team who were playing awful and put confidence back in to them and secured a playoff place by playing some good football.

Above all else, though, Wassall has laid down some pretty solid foundations for a new manager, whoever it may be, to come in and build on.

1 hour ago, Posh Ram said:

Why? Clement had never been a head coach before and he won't have had any power over transfers at Real Madrid/PSG.

The least Mel could have done would be offer him a bit of help in the transfer market where there's been a complete breakdown in decision-making. There should have been a director of football structure.

I think what annoys most people about Morris is this drive for "the Derby way" and promotion not being the goal this season after spending £20m. That will, in time, turn us into a complete joke. I appreciate the money he spent, particularly on the academy, but he needs to take a complete step back, give executive power back to Sam Rush and appoint a director of football to decide how funds are spent.

The scouting and recruitment team were there to help clement and recommend players. If Clement then could not see whether a player is good enough or not after all the info he was given, that's his fault, not Mels.

Probably Clement should have read this forum more because there are obviously so many experts on here who could have advised him and Mel on who to buy, then we probably would have won the league.

I think what annoys most people about Morris is this drive for "the Derby way" and promotion not being the goal this season after spending £20m.

Jesus!

For the 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Time He has NEVER said promotion isn't the goal, he said it wasn't the be all and end all. he has spent that money to try and get us into a position where we would be able to cope IF WE GOT PROMOTED, he doesn't want us to be a yoyo club.

5 minutes ago, mwram1973 said:

The scouting and recruitment team were there to help clement and recommend players. If Clement then could not see whether a player is good enough or not after all the info he was given, that's his fault, not Mels.

Probably Clement should have read this forum more because there are obviously so many experts on here who could have advised him and Mel on who to buy, then we probably would have won the league.

Jesus!

For the 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Time He has NEVER said promotion isn't the goal, he said it wasn't the be all and end all. he has spent that money to try and get us into a position where we would be able to cope IF WE GOT PROMOTED, he doesn't want us to be a yoyo club.

Yeah, that's what I said... oh wait no it isn't. 

Mel allowing Clement to have last word over who to sign wasn't a good decision. I agree that most of the blame for the bad signings should be on the shoulders of PC, but PC shouldn't have had responsibility for making said bad signings in the first place, he's a coach not a manager.

Then he made the good decision to sack Clement but the iffy decision to replace him with Wassall when we could have brought in a coach with experience in getting out of this division. 

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Mel-Morris-dressing-room/story-28701388-detail/story.html

Have a read of that article, Morris is quite clearly too involved in the club. I'm glad he's put up the money but he should leave the decision-making to people who actually know about football. And the going in the dressing room thing is a disgrace; I've also heard that he stopped the team going on a Christmas break because of "bad performances". 

7 minutes ago, Posh Ram said:

Yeah, that's what I said... oh wait no it isn't. 

Mel allowing Clement to have last word over who to sign wasn't a good decision. I agree that most of the blame for the bad signings should be on the shoulders of PC, but PC shouldn't have had responsibility for making said bad signings in the first place, he's a coach not a manager.

Then he made the good decision to sack Clement but the iffy decision to replace him with Wassall when we could have brought in a coach with experience in getting out of this division. 

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Mel-Morris-dressing-room/story-28701388-detail/story.html

Have a read of that article, Morris is quite clearly too involved in the club. I'm glad he's put up the money but he should leave the decision-making to people who actually know about football. And the going in the dressing room thing is a disgrace; I've also heard that he stopped the team going on a Christmas break because of "bad performances". 

Why?

If I owned the club and thought them players wasn't pulling their weight, I'd be in there telling them too.

AND I'd stop the xmas break too. Why should overpaid players with obvious quality be able to stroll around and only play when they feel like it AND be rewarded for it.

Them players need to man up. Mels a hard nosed businessman and he could see they are not pulling their weight.

If the players then go on a sulk, it says alot about them and should not be blamed on MM

I would like to say i'm not including Keogh, for me that guy bleeds black and white. 

Archived