resurgent chris martin

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

i think its hard to dispute that martin has had a massive resurgence since the departure of clement....so just what was clemant doing to stifle such a normally prolific goal scorer?

was it just restricting his freedom within the formation or something else?

maybe it was just a lean spell that strikers have from time to time.

Under clement, he was stuck right up front on his own, chasing balls into the channels. Under wassall, he's got license drop off and find space, we get balls into his feet and chest and we get players running off him. It's a textbook example of how to get the best out of a player, compared to how to get the worst out of them.

Don't think it was too much to do with Paul Clement, although I don't think Martin benefited from having to play high up the pitch as Clement wanted.

I just don't think he was getting many chances and grew frustrated that he wasn't scoring and eventually when he did get chances he'd snatch at them. I always had faith once he got a goal he'd score a few.

2 hours ago, kash_a_ram_a_ding_dong said:

i think its hard to dispute that martin has had a massive resurgence since the departure of clement....so just what was clemant doing to stifle such a normally prolific goal scorer?

was it just restricting his freedom within the formation or something else?

Nobody was allowed to attack in reality which was summed up by clement wanting to start both Baird (captain) and Warnock to kill off any attacking intent from the full backs when Christie and Forsyth were both available.

Still think he's not his full self, a proper in-form Chris Martin would have scored more today.

The difference is we've finally started playing to his strengths again. Players around him. Full-backs getting beyond the last man and pulling it back. Midfielders running past him.

Perfect Chris Martin conditions. Play like that, and he'll contribute something to the team even when he's not playing that well.

Here's a pretty good indicator

Martin was by quite a long chalk the most fouled player in the Championship for both the previous 2 seasons.

Look at his "fouls against" stats for the duration of his dry spell. It dropped down to average/below average levels

Why? I guess because if he's not getting the ball then he can't get fouled

i wasnt insinuating that there were any ulterior reasons for martins drop off in form prior to wassells arrival and i certainly dont believe any of the clement rumour rubbish bandied about....i was looking at the tactical reasons for it.

in my opinion his style was effectively stifled by clements overly controlled systems and this also effected most of the other more expressive players who we also saw go downhill over that period,russell,johnson etc...fitness levels were also clearly below par for some reason and have been improving since the change of manager.

good to see a lot of the players looking happier and playing better as a result

16 hours ago, davenportram said:

maybe it was just a lean spell that strikers have from time to time.

No no no, it's definitely Clement's fault.

9 hours ago, StivePesley said:

Here's a pretty good indicator

Martin was by quite a long chalk the most fouled player in the Championship for both the previous 2 seasons.

Look at his "fouls against" stats for the duration of his dry spell. It dropped down to average/below average levels

Why? I guess because if he's not getting the ball then he can't get fouled

Unless refs were not giving fouls against him this season cos of his reputation.

I agree that Martin has improved but is well short of his best, particularly the 'hold-up' play. Keep Bryson on the pitch who gets forward & tries to make himself available & I believe Martin will see much more of the ball & get back to his best. A happy Martin means WiNS

Archived