resurgent chris martin

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, RamuelLJackson said:

I think he's playing a bit better. This is probably because before he was playing a bit worse, but has now stopped.

Yes. He used to score, then he didn't but now he does again. In an ironic twist, Derby used to win, they couldn't and now they sometimes do again.

bloody football eh?

On 06/03/2016 at 08:51, DRBee said:

Unless refs were not giving fouls against him this season cos of his reputation.

I think he's always been up against refs knowing his reputation, so I wouldn't say that is the reason he was being fouled less. Evidence seen with my own eyes at the games has shown he just wasn't getting the ball to his feet/chest with his back to goal anywhere near as much as we were used to

On 3/5/2016 at 18:54, Phoenix said:

So does this mean that the reviled Wassell has done something right? Cripes.

Every fan we have knew what PC was doing wrong so Waffall coming in and putting it right wasn't exactly difficult.  But yes, fair play for playing to his strengths.  Something that Clement steadfastly refused to do...

On 5 March 2016 at 19:18, duncanjwitham said:

Under clement, he was stuck right up front on his own, chasing balls into the channels. Under wassall, he's got license drop off and find space, we get balls into his feet and chest and we get players running off him. It's a textbook example of how to get the best out of a player, compared to how to get the worst out of them.

Saying that he got balls into his chest, how many times did he stop a ball and knock it down from his body trying to lay it off that way? I am not and never have been a footballer but why didn't he just stop the ball, bring it down to his feet and play it? 

45 minutes ago, Ewe Ram said:

Saying that he got balls into his chest, how many times did he stop a ball and knock it down from his body trying to lay it off that way? I am not and never have been a footballer but why didn't he just stop the ball, bring it down to his feet and play it? 

Because bringing it down takes longer that just playing it first time, so any defenders who are closing down are more likely to get in range to stop the layoff.  They're also more likely to be able to react to what the player the ball was being layed off too was going to.  Like anything, it's a trade off - bringing it down is more likely to end up with a more accurate pass, but it's also more likely to result in a defender getting in and nicking possession. (And like any other player Martin isn't going to make the right choice every single time).

On 3/5/2016 at 20:19, tomsdubs said:

I heard that Clement banned bacon from the canteen, Martin got caught trying to bring in some bacon joints in a black market operation. Martin then went on a goal drought protest.

You missed the back changing room window at Moor farm in your story bro!

1 hour ago, Ewe Ram said:

Because it's more difficult to control a ball with your chest than your feet.  Plus the time it makes to get the ball down from your chest to your feet provides time for the opposition to tackle/take the ball off you...

3 hours ago, Ninos said:

If this is considered a resurgence then we have pretty low expectations of our centre forward. Anyway, I hope he gets 2 goals and an assist against QPR and he just might if Bryson and Ince start. 

Yea, only 3 goals in 4 games! I'd expect any half decent championship forward to have at least 2 per game <_<

1 hour ago, ossieram said:

Yea, only 3 goals in 4 games! I'd expect any half decent championship forward to have at least 2 per game <_<

You can always squeeze a sample size to make it sound amazing. Wassall has won the last 3 of 4 ... Amazing huh? Even CM would admit he needs more effective games to show he's resurging but hey he said in Rams Player that he's gonna get a bunch in a row now so I'm behind his self belief! Get in the box more, cuz that's where good teams score at least that's what KP says ... What a thought. 

Chris Martin's resurgence is of course really great news.

The problem for Detby is when you examine the last 12 games when he doesn't score there aren't many other players that do. How long are we going to have to rely on Chris Martin to save our blushes. Let's hope he doesn't get injured again. I was hoping last season would be the LAST TIME I said that.

Perhaps the board should triple his wages as he's clearly our saviour time & again.

Archived