Nigel Clough/Burton Albion/Bris/Ronnie troll fest

Holdontightuk

Worst decision the club ever made was to make Clough manager, because, to put it simply, an element of our fan base would follow him off a cliff because his surname is Clough.

before he was appointed quite a few fans said they didn't want him as manager as fans would be blinded be some sort of bizarre loyalty to his name and would never be able to see things clearly, the same can be said for the other way round.

my opinion? Everything about him smacked of acceptable mediocrity, low ambition, negativity and limited ability. That, however, is just my opinion.

• Replies 743
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, KBB said:

Worst decision the club ever made was to make Clough manager, because, to put it simply, an element of our fan base would follow him off a cliff because his surname is Clough.

before he was appointed quite a few fans said they didn't want him as manager as fans would be blinded be some sort of bizarre loyalty to his name and would never be able to see things clearly, the same can be said for the other way round.

my opinion? Everything about him smacked of acceptable mediocrity, low ambition, negativity and limited ability. That, however, is just my opinion.

I respect the job Clough did with us, but some people overstate his 'achievements' with the club. Plenty of other managers have managed to get Championship sides at-least challenging for the play-offs with budgets that we had under Clough, just look at Cardiff who are in a similar position we were in with an overinflated squad with high wages and it has only taken Slade 1 season to get them challenging for the play-offs. 

Other managers such as Rowett, McCarthy, Dyche, Holloway all got there with tight budgets, but apparently Clough did a brilliant job from getting us from 18th to 10th over 5 seasons. 

1 minute ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

I respect the job Clough did with us, but some people overstate his 'achievements' with the club. Plenty of other managers have managed to get Championship sides at-least challenging for the play-offs with budgets that we had under Clough, just look at Cardiff who are in a similar position we were in with an overinflated squad with high wages and it has only taken Slade 1 season to get them challenging for the play-offs. 

Other managers such as Rowett, McCarthy, Dyche all got there with tight budgets, but apparently Clough did a brilliant job from getting us from 18th to 10th over 5 seasons. 

More articulate then I could ever hope for, but I really do share this opinion.

8 minutes ago, KBB said:

Still nine of his signings in our starting match day squad, doesn't say much for those that have followed him !

Grant, Forsyth, Buxton, Keogh, Hendrick, Hughes, Bryson, Martin, Russell

3 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

Still nine of his signings in our starting match day squad, doesn't say much for those that have followed him !

Hendrick and Hughes weren't signings.

agree he could spot a player (occasionally) it was getting the best out of them and getting above 10th he struggled with.

4 minutes ago, davenportram said:

shocking it should be "one point two one......" Next you will be saying zero point nine is followed by zero point ten

Like everyone else, you seem to have missed the (to me) obvious point.

How did Marty get the pronunciation of 'gigawatt' correct?

Just now, eddie said:

Like everyone else, you seem to have missed the (to me) obvious point.

How did Marty get the pronunciation of 'gigawatt' correct?

because he heard it in a class once but had no idea what it meant. I teach. Theres lots of words kids pronounce correctly with no idea what they mean.

1 minute ago, davenportram said:

because he heard it in a class once but had no idea what it meant. I teach. Theres lots of words kids pronounce correctly with no idea what they mean.

Tenuous at best.

7 minutes ago, loweman2 said:

3 minutes ago, KBB said:

Hendrick and Hughes weren't signings.

agree he could spot a player (occasionally) it was getting the best out of them and getting above 10th he struggled with.

I suppose what I am saying is that he assembled the basis of our current team on a shoe string budget but why haven't we improved on this with a bigger budget having been spent and with more experienced managers / coaches and back room staff in place ?

And before any body says we have improved I disagree, just because attendances may be up due to marketing and high expectations at the end of last season leading to record season ticket sales.

the football being played on the pitch in 2016 shows no improvement what so ever, in my humble opinion to the boring style of Nigel.

I don't think we will be breaking records this time.

1 minute ago, Holdontightuk said:

Rowett, McCarthy, Dyche, Holloway whilst operating on shoestring budgets didn't inherit the bloated crap Nigel inherited. 

It took him about 1 season to get rid of most of the deadwood and we still got nowhere when he had his own team in his other 3 seasons. Plus McCarthy had inherited Roy Keanes mess.

Interesting thread. Lots of old spite coming back out:)

I'm sure he won't be coming back but I hope he does well elsewhere, like he did here for much of the time.

Not much further on for all of the supposed class we've employed at various levels since he left. Some really poor decisions have been made.

All in my humble opinion of course....

2 hours ago, Holdontightuk said:

Derby County has no heart again. That is down to Rush and whoever and whatever plan. It has already failed, no matter what they do now. A new plan is needed and if MM has half as much insight as he has money, he should know this. Rush absolutely has to go and we also need a long term manager who will grow us organically over time, this time with a half decent budget generated by disposing of the recent big money signings who all need to go, with maybe the exception of Butterfield. Take the loss, bank what's left and go again. Personally I still can't think of anyone better than Nigel Clough to start again with , who would be committed to the club longer term. Steve McC was a decent alternative shout but he screwed himself. 

If the current Board or Ownership was a government up for re-election, MM would be screwed too. 

Much as I respect what Nigel did, does not Moyes have more credential to do for us what he did at Everton? We'd quite like being mid table in the Premier League year after year and well respected, wouldn't we? Instead of Osman he'd build the team around Will and Jacob and Bryson. It would be the Moyes Derby Way.

2 hours ago, TheDeadlySaul said:

Such a stupid thing to say, that side played well till November and had a spectacular collapse bigger than our last two seasons. 

So instead of trying to insult me why don't you read the conversation? That team didn't 'collapse' it over achieved and then settled into 'midtable' form. Which is more than can be said for now. 

2 hours ago, RIMBAUD said:

I think you'd have to wait till the end of this season to make meaningful comparison. They did play some good football but the wheels came off them too.

the difference being that nobody could really fault that side, we were punching above our weight in the good spells... 

Have not read any of the previous comment's in this thread, but no no no no no no No!!!!! Please do not bring Clough back. Don't get me wrong I was his biggest fan when he was here but he was tactically inept and constantly criticised and singled out players. Please no going backwards is one thing but that's scraping around in the gutter.

8 minutes ago, IlsonDerby said:

So instead of trying to insult me why don't you read the conversation? That team didn't 'collapse' it over achieved and then settled into 'midtable' form. Which is more than can be said for now. 

From the 27th of November to the end of the season we won 4 games, drew 7, lost 17 and dropped from 4th to 19th. That is relegation form not midtable form. A team that overachieved and collapsed as bad as it did would not beat our team that is 5th in the table in March and has been challenging in the play-off spots for the majority of the season. 

Archived