Breakfast with Mel and no Bacon or Sausages!

Day

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, ketteringram said:

Oh yes. I'd never have thought to read the thread would I. 

Thanks for your input. 

well, what do you want to know exactly? I think I've covered most things I heard a few times, and others have. All this posting is tiring ya know!

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

well, what do you want to know exactly? I think I've covered most things I heard a few times, and others have. All this posting is tiring ya know!

1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

Interesting read. Some posters have said how it's restored a little faith, and they feel a little more optimistic after this meeting. I feel like that too. Trouble is, it only lasts as long as I am reading about it! As soon as I stop, my mind reverts to the reality of the football I've watched for the last few games. 

I realise that the meeting was more a general overview of plans for the future...... But was MM asked what he thinks is the problem with performances on the pitch?? 

1 minute ago, ketteringram said:
1 hour ago, ketteringram said:

Interesting read. Some posters have said how it's restored a little faith, and they feel a little more optimistic after this meeting. I feel like that too. Trouble is, it only lasts as long as I am reading about it! As soon as I stop, my mind reverts to the reality of the football I've watched for the last few games. 

I realise that the meeting was more a general overview of plans for the future...... But was MM asked what he thinks is the problem with performances on the pitch?? 

In a roundabout way, over the 3 hours, he had a few concerns which he thought had an impact on performances.

In no order, he raised issues about Clement not knowing the quality he had at his disposal, and not doing any homework on the Derby team and performances of the last couple of seasons. He mentioned that Clement relied on his analysts to do opposition scouting, but still paid too much attention to worrying about opposition. There were fitness concerns. Mel had a view that players having to go to external gyms because of poor fitness was demoralising and dangerous. There was also an imbalance on right and left sides of the pitch and opposition had sussed to attack down one side and overload to exploit our left. We also lacked right-footed players, and didn't sign any, Mel wondered why. There were other snippets you'd expect, but mainly morale.

35 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

In a roundabout way, over the 3 hours, he had a few concerns which he thought had an impact on performances.

In no order, he raised issues about Clement not knowing the quality he had at his disposal, and not doing any homework on the Derby team and performances of the last couple of seasons. He mentioned that Clement relied on his analysts to do opposition scouting, but still paid too much attention to worrying about opposition. There were fitness concerns. Mel had a view that players having to go to external gyms because of poor fitness was demoralising and dangerous. There was also an imbalance on right and left sides of the pitch and opposition had sussed to attack down one side and overload to exploit our left. We also lacked right-footed players, and didn't sign any, Mel wondered why. There were other snippets you'd expect, but mainly morale.

Very interesting! Over analysing an opponent is always dangerous in my opinion! I'd much rather us concentrating on our performance than worrying about the opposition! 

34 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

In no order, he raised issues about Clement not knowing the quality he had at his disposal, and not doing any homework on the Derby team and performances of the last couple of seasons. 

You'd have thought these would have been standard interview questions during the recruitment of Clement.

Good to see that the Forum is of real interest to Mel, and that the attendees enjoyed the visit/generated such feedback.  All good stuff.

Personally I remain somewhat wary of Mel and I am long long way from being convinced that the Club was not in more assured hands 12 months ago.  There is something to be said about management by consensus, and l wonder what Brett and the other North Americans are thinking at the moment.

As much as Mel might want to deflect recent events against PC, and a very large number on here want to accept it as all PC's fault, the position seems to me is that we have a very inexperienced Club owner, who perhaps is "hampered" by being a true fan.  

We should really not lose sight of WHO appointed an inexperienced manager at the start of the season, WHO signed off £25m of transfer fee commitments (admittedly/hopefully his money) on a huge number of players where we have ended up with a bloated, and still unbalanced squad, WHO has taken us pretty close to FFP limits, WHO has broken the taboo of entering the changing room (that has worked well hasn't it?), WHO has come up with the 'corporate gimmick' of the Derby Way (to the mocking amusement of most in the football world), and WHO has now appointed an even more inexperienced manager for the forthcoming months.  

Now a large number might be willing to accept the current mess is all PC's fault but I am less easily swayed.  I am though sufficiently encouraged that Mel seems prepared to talk/listen to fans and has, I understand, now said he will not enter the changing room again.  Hopefully over the coming months we will hear a lot less about the Derby Way (keep it in in-house Mel) and that he does find and appoint an experienced man-manager to shake up the team. Mel still has my support, but I remain one very concerned Rams fan.

38 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

Really? Most recent goals have come down our right side. Attacks seem to come down that side more. Attack wise I agree re no right footed wingers. 

4 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

well, that's the point, he was sacked for deviating from the plan.

My point was obviously Clement wasnt asked these questions during interview which lays the blame at Mel Morris' door. He can't turn round later and say Clement didn't know enough about our previous 2 seasons performances and players he should have been asked this as a basic

15 minutes ago, i-Ram said:

Good to see that the Forum is of real interest to Mel, and that the attendees enjoyed the visit/generated such feedback.  All good stuff.

Personally I remain somewhat wary of Mel and I am long long way from being convinced that the Club was not in more assured hands 12 months ago.  There is something to be said about management by consensus, and l wonder what Brett and the other North Americans are thinking at the moment.

As much as Mel might want to deflect recent events against PC, and a very large number on here want to accept it as all PC's fault, the position seems to me is that we have a very inexperienced Club owner, who perhaps is "hampered" by being a true fan.  

We should really not lose sight of WHO appointed an inexperienced manager at the start of the season, WHO signed off £25m of transfer fee commitments (admittedly/hopefully his money) on a huge number of players where we have ended up with a bloated, and still unbalanced squad, WHO has taken us pretty close to FFP limits, WHO has broken the taboo of entering the changing room (that has worked well hasn't it?), WHO has come up with the 'corporate gimmick' of the Derby Way (to the mocking amusement of most in the football world), and WHO has now appointed an even more inexperienced manager for the forthcoming months.  

Now a large number might be willing to accept the current mess is all PC's fault but I am less easily swayed.  I am though sufficiently encouraged that Mel seems prepared to talk/listen to fans and has, I understand, now said he will not enter the changing room again.  Hopefully over the coming months we will hear a lot less about the Derby Way (keep it in in-house Mel) and that he does find and appoint an experienced man-manager to shake up the team. Mel still has my support, but I remain one very concerned Rams fan.

The part in bold is my main concern and the part in italics means it's going to be difficult to get us out of this mess.

8 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

but most pressure down our left.

I'm not sure I agree, though you could argue that there is a less of a threat from the LW so a RB can commit more to attack,

However both Boro and Man Utd killed us down our right and I don't recall a LB giving a goal away this season.

Archived