Breakfast with Mel and no Bacon or Sausages!

Day

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

RoyMac, in the interest of being respectful to a fellow Derby fan and poster, what EXACTLY are you asking? I will answer you best I can. 

It's okay not a particular question atm, they've already been and gone. I'm now just pointing out that there are still questions to be answered - not necessarily by the Breakfast Club. And there are still fans who haven't bought in to Mel's Plan. However that doesn't mean they don't have worthwhile points to make.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

To avoid member mutiny against the forum elite, maybe prior knowledge to said event, and a process where member plus could apply to attend would have resolved most of the bitching that's taking place. 

First of all there is no "forum elite" as I said earlier in the thread, only 3 that were there last summer went this time. The first group that went down I was given a list of members to invite, a couple of which couldn't make and I replaced. One of which was who we warned for comparing Mel to Rupert Murdoch, given the reasons why we were invited down he was a perfect.

This isn't a Daveo's bumchums day out, I have only fully picked everyone once, one time that's all. In that time I didn't take all moderators down, not all have donated, some are not on social media, and I have had no prior contact with or multiple likes from or no run ins with. If you look at those that went, you will see they are all regular posters on the forum. It would be extremely difficult to invite someone that says posts once a week.

Everyone that has been or rejected invites will back this up completely and If people still have doubts over who has been and want to continuing bitching, let's be honest a process where members can apply won't change that as ultimately I will still have to decide.

The only way to completely stop it would be to ask for 300 odd spaces, not sure the canteen will hold that many and the Kings Corner pub might be pissed off with that many cars in the car par beforehand where we all get a chance to say hello to each other and introduce ourselves for the first time because like I say, these are not my bumchums.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

I think we have all tried to answer the questions as honestly as we could.

Don't forget peoples perceptions of an answer can be very different but we collected all of our thoughts together before Daveo put the thread out to try and make sure everything was reported correctly.

More questions have come up and some I wish had been asked on the day but weren't. 

You've all now had the same answers that were given to us by Mel.

What is disappointing and annoying is to see the same trope being regurgitated when the points have been addressed on here on numerous occasions. 

I have some big concerns about Mel's answers. However, I'm grateful to those who actually put the questions and relayed those answers. OK, most of those involved have come back being very upbeat and convinced, but that always happens at these events - Mel and Sam did not get where they are by being unpersuasive. I'm also pleased that Mel took the trouble to arrange the meeting and the time to explain his thoughts to a panel of fans who are about a million times more representative than the Rams Trust. 

3 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

I have some big concerns about Mel's answers. However, I'm grateful to those who actually put the questions and relayed those answers. OK, most of those involved have come back being very upbeat and convinced, but that always happens at these events - Mel and Sam did not get where they are by being unpersuasive. I'm also pleased that Mel took the trouble to arrange the meeting and the time to explain his thoughts to a panel of fans who are about a million times more representative than the Rams Trust. 

What answers concern you out of interest?

My biggest worries having come away from the meeting were:-

(a) He didn't seem willing to accept that the dressing room had created such a bad vibe

(b) That he will give his manager/head coach any money that he asks for to get a player (who would ever have imagined us being worried about that?!)

37 minutes ago, Gypsy Ram said:

To avoid member mutiny against the forum elite, maybe prior knowledge to said event, and a process where member plus could apply to attend would have resolved most of the bitching that's taking place. 

Forum elite? I have been banned in the past, so I think that's been torpedoed.

51 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I think you'll find that MM let PC get on with it. If you think he interfered, as accused, then you've not paid attention to what's been said. There were a few things Mel felt he HAD to do, one being the dressing room, and another making PC sit and watch highlights of good Derby performances, one I disagree with, the other I agree with.

DW will be left to get on with it. He has his brief, there will be fortnightly meetings (as at many clubs). But Mel has no say in coaching methods, team selection, tactics etc, so where you get the impression Mel doesn't let them get on with it from, I don't know!

If you go back to the original brief / vision when Mel took over the business model /structure was quite a deviation from most clubs .Like I said I get it ,I just think it is hard to implement . It's a long way from letting them get on with it ,anyway visiting the dressing room and having meetings to realign PC could be construed as interfering.

1 minute ago, King Kevin said:

If you go back to the original brief / vision when Mel took over the business model /structure was quite a deviation from most clubs .Like I said I get it ,I just think it is hard to implement . It's a long way from letting them get on with it ,anyway visiting the dressing room and having meetings to realign PC could be construed as interfering.

This last bit isnt interfering its trying to get an employee to do the job he was employed to do. Develop the team, squad and perormances in line with the club ethos.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

Firstly Mel wasn't owner and not allowed to make decisions when McClaren was sacked, interestingly, he said he'd have done it sooner, but was outvoted. That decision was a group decision.

Secondly, Clement was also a group decision, recommended by another member of the then board, Morris made the decision to sack him though.

Thirdly, if you care to read this thread, the dressing room visit has been discussed to death, Mel is aware of people's thoughts on that issue. It was a one-off, and perhaps highlights the lack of effectiveness in Clement's management. Also, it wasn't ONE dreadful performance, was it?!?

Fourthly, now matter how resentful or jealous you are, the PR exercise was arranged weeks ago! I never went on the last one, and I doubt, unless Mel asks for me by name, I will go on the next one(s). This wasn't 'set' to convince the restless natives, no matter how cynical you are!

Interesting that you claim to be a Derby fan, I genuinely wondered if you was a Forest lad on the Wind up.

It was and it is a PR exercise....................

6 minutes ago, eddie said:

Forum elite? I have been banned in the past, so I think that's been torpedoed.

Perhaps Gyp was confusing forum elite with forum elitist? :ph34r: ... So spill the beans. What you get banned for? Not calling everyone who don't go to every game a half fan was it? 

1 minute ago, toddy said:

It was and it is a PR exercise....................

Technically any interaction with the public is a Public Relations exercise, good or bad. What people are disagreeing with you on is your obvious implication that it was all spin and has no merit whatsoever. 

31 minutes ago, RoyMac5 said:

That's told you toddy.

This is all that fans who ask more questions or awkward questions get.

If you don't know the answer just say so, don't blame the questioner for not being 'on board'!

You and a couple of others need to do one thing only - put your questions in an email and send them to Mel Morris.

I apologise for not asking the questions you wanted, and for not getting the answers you wanted.

36 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Been plenty of awkward questions asked....

Theres answers you dont like fine... That's fine, me neither...

But to go on and on and on and on and on and Ariston over and over again to the same questions you ask over and over and get the same answers over and over when you know full well you've been given them smacks of someone who has definitely got a ostrich head in the sand...,

I'm not ariston - I'd have dropped it ages ago but you keep quoting me and asking questions.

Edit: see post above which dropped in as I answered you. Don't worry eddie its understandable you couldn't have asked all the pertinent questions. Ta.

9 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

What answers concern you out of interest?

My biggest worries having come away from the meeting were:-

(a) He didn't seem willing to accept that the dressing room had created such a bad vibe

(b) That he will give his manager/head coach any money that he asks for to get a player (who would ever have imagined us being worried about that?!)

Agree on the dressing room thing. Concerned about the Wassall appointment and worried that Mel has not grasped that most of the issues have been caused by his appointment of an inexperienced manager, so he is likely to repeat the the error.

Reassured on the sacking of Clement, although I was never very impressed with him the first place so I'm an 'easy win' on that  one.

Kind of pleased that Mel is prepared to move away from Moor Farm if he can't get his plans through because it shows a long-term commitment. But I'm also worried that too much priority is being given to the academy. There is little tangible evidence that they are actually worthwhile, but we seem to be basing our entire developmental strategy on ours. It feels like the tail is wagging the dog.

5 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Technically any interaction with the public is a Public Relations exercise, good or bad. What people are disagreeing with you on is your obvious implication that it was all spin and has no merit whatsoever. 

That's what PR is...............

Maybe this thread should be retitled ...........How to **** up a good club in 12 mths

10 minutes ago, davenportram said:

This last bit isnt interfering its trying to get an employee to do the job he was employed to do. Develop the team, squad and perormances in line with the club ethos.

Well all you are doing is proving my point ,if a rookie first time coach who you would expect to be able to blend in can't work the system how is a experienced manager with a proven track record going to work out .As in a previous post book mark  it won't work.

25 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

At least one member of RamsTrust was there.

The lead time on academy being useful is probably something like ten years, its about becoming where top young players want to come. I don't think academies are a perfect solution, but it is becoming a way for big clubs to have more control of future saleable player assets, and Mel wants in on that. It's probably the most viable way if you can't bring oil money to buy your way up.

Problem is that some people will have formed their opinions, and are too bloody-minded to change them.

Would it perhaps be worth setting up a thread nearer to the time of the next one, people can get their questions in? That way the ones not fortunate to be invited by whatever criteria don't feel so put out?

2 minutes ago, CornwallRam said:

Agree on the dressing room thing. Concerned about the Wassall appointment and worried that Mel has not grasped that most of the issues have been caused by his appointment of an inexperienced manager, so he is likely to repeat the the error.

Reassured on the sacking of Clement, although I was never very impressed with him the first place so I'm an 'easy win' on that  one.

Kind of pleased that Mel is prepared to move away from Moor Farm if he can't get his plans through because it shows a long-term commitment. But I'm also worried that too much priority is being given to the academy. There is little tangible evidence that they are actually worthwhile, but we seem to be basing our entire developmental strategy on ours. It feels like the tail is wagging the dog.

Disagree with the inexperience personally. For every inexperienced manager that has failed you can name 10 'experienced' managers that have failed.

Prepared to give Wassall his chance, if he fails he fails but I don't really see what we have to lose.

I don't think Mel could be accused of placing too much importance on the academy after spending £25m on first team squad this season.

I think it's a great strategy going forward which will help the club become more sustainable.

Archived