Breakfast with Mel and no Bacon or Sausages!

Day

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Boycie said:

Mate.

if you owned the club, and you'd taken a guy on with no experiance of coaching as a number one before, and maybe had a few "discussions" in private already with him about the vision that you have for the club, would you not be pissed off after watching the Reading game?

Answer it through an owners eyes please as if it was your own money you'd invested. 

The whole episode should have remained in the dressing room by the way.

As the token happy clapper, I actually said that my biggest concern wasn't that Mel went into the dressing room and had a go, but that within 30 minutes it was in the public domain.

I think he agreed.

19 minutes ago, reveldevil said:

I don't mean the sauces you'd sneaked in yourself eddie, I'd imagine you always carry a spicy sauce for emergencies?

Tabasco is little more than runny ketchup - DCFC supplied two types - regular and mild. The Memsahib wouldn't let me take any of mine, for fear of it stripping the paint off the walls and dissolving Will's ligaments. Well, his whole leg actually.

4 minutes ago, eddie said:

Tabasco is little more than runny ketchup - DCFC supplied two types - regular and mild. The Memsahib wouldn't let me take any of mine, for fear of it stripping the paint off the walls and dissolving Will's ligaments. Well, his whole leg actually.

I've met Chilli lovers before (sage) and im here to say it ain't hot.

Thats whatever he says is hot btw.

i digress, I can't have chilli without any meat.

I have just received a message from Mel, he would like to clear a few things up that have been misunderstood...

Hi David,

Thank you for organising the visit from your side.

I also want to thank all the members who attended for their views, insights and persistence (Alpha? :-) ).

My takeaways from the day were:

1) this is a very valuable way to get to the crux of issues that our fans really care about. Having face to face time is critical to this.

2) we (the club) should try and listen hard and take special note of things which really grate with (upset) the fans. Of key note on this; I hear loud and clear many of your members want me to stay out of the dressing room (celebrations aside). Understood, I'll consider myself repreminanded, and ..... I promise I will not re-offend. The only member name I gleaned was Alpha - thanks to him for pushing this point. 

3) in today's instantaneous feedback loop (social media), misconceptions, misrepresentations and misunderstandings can easily occur. More frequent and open communications are key. Therefore we will do this again ( approx every couple of months). 

Oustanding issues which seem still to be partly, if not wholly misunderstood, appear to be:

1) The £25m spend on player acquisitions. I did recount how this was not one coordinated plan but four separate groupings spanning the changes of coach, chairmanship, ownership, and reaction to early season and mid season injuries.

2) The integration of academy players into the first team squad still appears to be misunderstood. Clearly, the path way is ultimately down to ability and competition. And acquisitions have frustrated that pathway somewhat. The 2016/17 preseason hopefully will benefit first team squad and aspiring academy player integration. This link is key to our vision.

3) the club's vision is wider than just the style of football and goes to building an efficient model for the club to achieve sustainable success. This is not easy, and it will take some time to shape what we have for this to become more tangible. But it has to start somewhere, and we are working hard and we are making progress. But we have a long way to go. And, we will make mistakes, so please have patience. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Finally, please support the squad, Darren and coaches. Blame me for where we are by all means - but please, please get behind the team, it will make a massive difference allowing them to get back on track much faster. 

Once again thank you to all who attended.

Best regards,

Mel

COYR

PS Please feel free to post this if you feel it is appropriate.

Wow. Ok.

Our chairman really does read our message board, and actually cares!! 

I see this as highly significant to be honest.

I protested in the 3 Amigos days and once handed my season ticket back in (on sky tv no less) so they wouldn't get another penny out of me, so I do care greatly how our owners treat our club. 

I'm happily renewing my season ticket, along with my kids because even though it's not great at the moment I want to do my part in helping build the club our owner has a vision for. The little I can do is buying a few seats and support as much as I can. 

Mel, thanks. It will be a long road, but your thinking is sound and I'm sure my club will be around in a healthy way for my kids to enjoy for years to come. 

2 minutes ago, Ram a lamb a ding dong said:

Read most of posts in this thread and can only say great job guys for the hard work and the balls to say how it is. On the scale of 1-10 how inspired/ positive looking towards the next 12 months and beyond are you following the vision laid out by Mel?????

8 following the meeting... 2 by about 6pm. 

Footbal eh?

2 hours ago, Nuwtfly said:

One of you mentioned earlier that MM spoke a little bit about managers that were putting their names forward for the job, and were being turned away (one name being Nigel Pearson). When I heard the news about people being turned away it worried me as I wondered if by snubbing them we might be ruining any chance of getting them in the summer.

Did MM talk much about the process of speaking to these managers? Was it just a "well we're not going to take on anyone till the summer so we'll get back to you then" or was it a firm "No thanks, DW is our man"?

thanks

From memory he said along the lines of the following:

5 prospective managers had approached DCFC about the job. Someone asked if any were in work already and he said yes. Someone then asked if one was Nigel Pearson and he answered this by saying something like "Nigel has already come out in the press and said he has approached Derby"

He did make it categorically clear that Darren will be there until the end of the season and Darren will be part of the decision making process. He also said that it isn't a guarantee that Darren can go back to the academy if he doesn't become head coach.

I think that's a realism of football nowadays and one that Mel knows. He is desperate for Darren to be successful, absolutely desperate and I'm sure Mel will be upset as much as you and I are at the performance yesterday.

Finally, my own opinion is that I still wouldn't have let Clement go. I get it, I get it more after Mels comments, I still don't think I would have done it. However it is where we are and we need to move forward so Darren gets his chance and opportunity. I hope he learns from it and I hope he learns that saying he was delighted with the performance in his post match interview wasn't his best move.

Hope this helps.

I've been incredibly busy today and this is the only time I've had to come on here and give my five pence - although it seems like everyone has already done the hard work for me. 

From the meeting, I came out with the two following conclusions:

Clement had to go: I was a big fan of Paul's at the start of the season and thought the 'war room' was an excellent addition in order to help us step up our performances. Nevertheless, it seems like he allowed his team of analyst to do the leg work and him to put a face to the instructions to the players. I remarked that the 'hunger and desire' had to be there as the head coach and the vibe I got was that Clement delegated a little bit too much. I also got the vibe that he didn't rate the players as highly as Mel and it was a cause of frustration, especially as we've seen what the likes of Martin, Ince and co have done in the past. I also believe, although this is my own interpretation, Clement was light years behind McClaren in terms of coaching ability. 

Mel's ambition is unrivaled: We're in incredibly good hands, essentially as his ambition seemingly has no ceiling. He seems like the perfect boss. He mentioned that he will give the person he supports the tools to do the job, but made it clear that results have to come with that support. He doesn't have the 'pay up and shut up' mentality and isn't afraid to be accountable for his decisions. I strongly felt like his vision and my own personal vision are similar, if not the same. I'm 100% confident he will get it right, purely because he isn't afraid to make tough decisions. He also supports the players strongly - in the nicest possible way, he struck me as the David Brent type.

I'm also keen to see who he hires as the head coach if Wassall fails to win it himself. He has a very structured plan of how he sees the club and there will have to be a little bit of approaches a successor to Clement. I have no doubts he believes he could get almost anyone - even Brendan Rodgers - but it's whether he ticks the right boxes. He certainly doesn't want a manager who is looking to put a quick promotion on their CV at the cost of the long-term plan of the club! 

I'm happy to answer any questions, if anyone has any, but that was my very broad take. 

I'm also due to appear on the podcast tomorrow, which I will give my opinion a little bit more. 

1 hour ago, Boycie said:

Mate.

if you owned the club, and you'd taken a guy on with no experiance of coaching as a number one before, and maybe had a few "discussions" in private already with him about the vision that you have for the club, would you not be pissed off after watching the Reading game?

Answer it through an owners eyes please as if it was your own money you'd invested. 

The whole episode should have remained in the dressing room by the way.

But who's fault was it bringing in a inexperienced coach?

Archived