Breakfast with Mel and no Bacon or Sausages!

Day

I think it's great that Mel is prepared to meet fans face to face and that the rest of the exec team and coaching staff were there too.

However, imo I would love to see a player or two as part of that meeting, clearly couldn't happen on Saturday so close to a match, but as fans we hear nothing from them apart from the usual  clichés spouted through official channels.

@Mostyn6 raised the impact fans have on players not long ago, why not give them the opportunity to discuss it with fans? I'm surprised that atmosphere and fan reaction wasn't raised as part of the meeting from what I've read here.

I applaud anything that encourages transparency between club and fans, I'd love to see more inclusion of fans across forums, Facebook groups and legitimate twitter accounts, but I've used this forum for years so if it is just this one, that's fine!

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Its fundamental mostyn. We can hardly blame PC for a bloated squad if half the transfers were effectively arranged with next to no input from hin. Wouldn't you think that the club might actually be interested in the new coach's assessment of his existing players before we sign 5 - 7 new players!  (Ince 3 days later and shackell not long after that). 

If the deals had been set up with schteve's input, wouldn't they then scrap them since schteve had gone.

more likely they were chris evans's.....in which case don't blame PC  for weimann, or not selecting weimann or bent etc etc.

its about how much we respect the opinion and input of the head coach in this set up.

I haven't laid any blame at PC for the size of the squad and I haven't paid any attention to those that have, I did level the 'bloated squad' comment at the Board of directors, and they dismissed the notion that it was "bloated".

I do however criticise PC for not getting the best out of those he inherited. But still, you are not acknowledging that Clement approved all of the signings, and I think it's a bit lost on you. Clement had NO knowledge of the league he was coming into, had NO knowledge of Derby County and it's players, and it's implied that this lack of research led to a) him approving players he perhaps wouldn't have wanted if he'd been more diligent, and b) Mel perhaps being unconvinced he was committed enough to the job.

I was watching again the fans forum from october 28th before i fell asleep.

when MM introduces PC he mentions all the various criteria which are now supposedly where he failed, and without prompting praises PC on all of them including performance and player development etc, and says that we are ahead of schedule at that time. PC had been here 5 months at that time. Plenty of time to make an assessment. 3 months later he is sacked?

To me, the whole thing smacks of personality clashes, workplace politics, bitching and back stabbing.

I could go on but i won't as its not the RamNut show. It's just........ aaaagh.

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

when MM introduces PC he mentions all the various criteria which are now supposedly where he failed, and without prompting praises PC on all of them including performance and player development etc, and says that we are ahead of schedule at that time. PC had been here 5 months at that time. Plenty of time to make an assessment. 3 months later he is sacked?

To me, the whole thing smacks of personality clashes, workplace politics, bitching and back stabbing.

I was at that forum and it seemed they were all on the same page at that time  

Front row. 

Lets all move on now though shall we for the sake of DCFC 

Good write up usually skip long posts but they was well written, filled with good detail. Actually made you feel you was there (Especially the disappointment u all must of felt with out the choice of any bacon or sausage what was they thinking!).

Of course people will be jealous but that's the way it is. People who have been/gone IMO deserved the chance.

1 minute ago, Mostyn6 said:

I haven't laid any blame at PC for the size of the squad and I haven't paid any attention to those that have, I did level the 'bloated squad' comment at the Board of directors, and they dismissed the notion that it was "bloated".

I do however criticise PC for not getting the best out of those he inherited. But still, you are not acknowledging that Clement approved all of the signings, and I think it's a bit lost on you. Clement had NO knowledge of the league he was coming into, had NO knowledge of Derby County and it's players, and it's implied that this lack of research led to a) him approving players he perhaps wouldn't have wanted if he'd been more diligent, and b) Mel perhaps being unconvinced he was committed enough to the job.

I wasn't meaning you personally there.

Sole sign off? I get it. But its wrong. He is the head coach. He has to build the team etc etc etc. Why are others better qualified to decide what he needs?

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

I think, the others may correct me, but we went ahead with Bent and Ince on the theory that they were part of our squad anyway sort of thing. 

The rest he approved. Mel said that no player has been brought in without Clement's agreement. 

Regarding the early signings, I think the terminology used was that PC ' was aware' the signings been made rather 'approved them'.

All other signings were signed off by PC.

I think Morris also said that when the early signings were made we were still sticking to the budgets put in place by the Americans.

Pretty sure he said that he personally had to underwrite the signings of Johnson and Butterfield as there was a rush to get them through in time.

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Regarding the early signings, I think the terminology used was that PC ' was aware' the signings been made rather 'approved them'.

All other signings were signed off by PC.

I think Morris also said that when the early signings were made we were still sticking to the budgets put in place by the Americans.

Pretty sure he said that he personally had to underwrite the signings of Johnson and Butterfield as there was a rush to get them through in time.

This was obvious PC wasn't even in the country he was going off recommendations. 

Hence ' wool over the eyes comment ' which was taken out of context . 

8 minutes ago, RamNut said:

MM said that publicly he will ALWAYS back his manager.

He also said as early as the pre season games he was wondering what he was watching.

3 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

He also said as early as the pre season games he was wondering what he was watching.

All buddy at the Forum. 

Clement has gone .

Wassall is manager let's move on. 

Recriminations  don't do any good. 

4 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Sole sign off? I get it. But its wrong. He is the head coach. He has to build the team etc etc etc. Why are others better qualified to decide what he needs?

PC went to the recruitment team and identified the sort of players, or in some instances gave them the names of players, he wanted.

The fact that PC only watched 2 of our opponents whilst here and didn't go to watch any of the players that we signed maybe tells a story...

6 hours ago, RicME85 said:

All great questions @RamNut, this is why I feel that for future Moor Farm trips it should be made known and questions collected so that we get what we want to know, or at least try to rather than a bunch of guys coming home disgruntled at a lack of bacon and sausages :D

The lack of bacon was a big issue for a few of the members, don't dismiss this as not being important.

It would be difficult to go in with a list of set questions, we're not journalists in there with notepads going in for articles or interviews.

It's also not setup like the Q&A forums the club have held where hands go up, question asked, answered move on to the next.

Really is just a relaxed (mostly) conversation around a table, and questions can be fired back at us, I asked for Mourinho by the way.

Told the guys in PM's just have a rough idea what of you want covered and go with the morning, expect to be in there an hour or two tops, ended up running for 3hrs.

30 minutes ago, Old Spalding Ram said:

Tim Evershed
Published at 12:01AM, February 15 2016

Derby coach bans chairman from dressing room

Darren Wassall, who has been given the role of Derby County head coach until the end of the season, has told Mel Morris, the chairman, to stay out of the dressing room and leave football to him.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/article4690460.ece

..........and there was me thinking that the chairman had seen the error of his ways after spending ten minutes with Mostyn! :thumbsup:

Bad mistake, DW needs all the help he can get

7 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

Judging by some of the match reports coming out at the time he wasn't the only one!

2 minutes ago, G STAR RAM said:

PC went to the recruitment team and identified the sort of players, or in some instances gave them the names of players, he wanted.

The fact that PC only watched 2 of our opponents whilst here and didn't go to watch any of the players that we signed maybe tells a story...

You can't have it both ways. You can't say recruitment is primarily for others albeit with the power of veto, and then slag him off for not having seen those players. Either it is or it isn't the responsibility of the coach.

and as for having doubts about pre-season performance gawd preserve us.

i'd love to know what Mel thought of the hoofball that was served up later that day. Easily the worst performance of the season.

Just now, Daveo said:

The lack of bacon was a big issue for a few of the members, don't dismiss this as not being important.

It would be difficult to go in with a list of set questions, we're not journalists in there with notepads going in for articles or interviews.

It's also not setup like the Q&A forums the club have held where hands go up, question asked, answered move on to the next.

Really is just a relaxed (mostly) conversation around a table, and questions can be fired back at us, I asked for Mourinho by the way.

Told the guys in PM's just have a rough idea what of you want covered and go with the morning, expect to be in there an hour or two tops, ended up running for 3hrs.

Well yeah, I get that, it doesnt have to be like a pack of journo's trying to out do each other for the best answer but it might help get a good spread of questions if they were thought about by the board because as well as you guys have done getting some good information out of Mel, there are still lots of things being asked in this thread (@RamNut's post for example) that weren't covered.

Just a suggestion, not being critical.

14 minutes ago, RamNut said:

yes, perhaps he should, and the reason others were better qualified was because Clement had no interest in scouting.

17 minutes ago, RamNut said:

It would have been nice if the invited members of the forum had bumped into Bucko and asked him for his thoughts on recent events. 

Before Christmas he gave an interview that inferred that we wouldn't implode this time round, citing that they were much stronger for the experience of last season and had a better back room team. 

Whats really happened that has now changed everything? Bucko's player perspective was insightful and suggested that everyone had bought into Clements methods and was on-side. 

9 minutes ago, RamNut said:

You can't have it both ways. You can't say recruitment is primarily for others albeit with the power of veto, and then slag him off for not having seen those players. Either it is or it isn't the responsibility of the coach.

and as for having doubts about pre-season performance gawd preserve us.

i'd love to know what Mel thought of the hoofball that was served up later that day. Easily the worst performance of the season.

It is the responsibility of the recruitment team to put together a list of players that match the criteria that the head coach has asked for.

If I was the head coach I would definitely be going to watch these players to help me form an opinion on which was the best candidate.

I think one of the ideas of a recruitment 'team'is that it doesn't put the decisions in just one person's hands. I certainly don't see one person as being accountable for any bad buys we make.

As for worst performance, it was not even close in my opinion. It was pretty much on a par with what we have been watching for months, with the exception of Reading and Birmingham games which were much worse.

Archived