Breakfast with Mel and no Bacon or Sausages!

Day

If anyone wants to know the merits of having an intelligent and well run forum they could do a lot worse than go through the comments and posts contained in these 26 pages.

I am impressed that Mel agreed to hold the session at a such a critical time for the club and himself in particular.

This website is 'unofficial' and therefore independent of club control. It has a unique function as a critical friend. It is great that Mel recognises this and obviously takes notice of the grass roots opinions expressed.

The guest list seems to have been well thought out to represent a good cross section of opinions resulting in a productive morning all round.

• Replies 750
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is one of the most interesting threads I have read on the forum.

I doubt many other owners would take a considerable amount of time out of their schedule to talk to a bunch of strangers about their concerns.

Mel Morris has been the laughing stock of the footballing world for his reasoning behind his decisions and he has gone some way to restoring a good reputation at least with the DCFC fans with this very open invitation.

A big thank you for those of you that have taken the trouble to post up your thoughts on the morning at Moor Farm.

Thoroughly interesting reading.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

The rest he approved. Mel said that no player has been brought in without Clement's agreement. 

To say that no player was brought in without Clements' agreement hardly fills me with the feeling that he really WANTED these players in the first instance.

When a guy is appointed as manager or coach, the success or failure of that club is seen, rightly or wrongly, as being down to him so shouldn't he be given ultimate responsibility for the incomings and outgoings on the playing side? Yes, Clement may have agreed to these signings but perhaps that was his weakness - he wasn't strong enough to say NO, or worse still, he didn't know the type of player(s) that were needed to strengthen what was already a good squad by Championship standards. For example, If he really wanted Camara, his use of him since his transfer, particularly given our dreadful run of form, was bizare in the extreme and must have left the poor guy wondering why he had been brought to Derby in the first place!

We finished last season with a good squad - yes we collapsed near the end due to a number of factors,  but all that was needed was one, perhaps two players of real quality to take us forward. What has happened since then reminds me of what Spurs did when they had the Bale cash - they went for quantity rather than quality, resulting in many of those signings leaving the club at significant losses. Serious injuries to Will, Craig & Fozzy meant replacements were required but isn't that what the loan system was for?

Going forward, whether it's under Wassall or someone else, I think the club needs an urgent review of its' transfer policy and considers if how we currently operate is actually the best way of recruiting what's required.

10 hours ago, curtains said:

Mel should not have entered the dressing room full stop.  

Completely undermines the manager. 

Mel is wrong here. It's all about perceptions. If any chairman of any club did this the very first thought is 'undermine' and 'interference' 

How he can't grasp this I don't know. He's clearly intelligent enough to do so.

29 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Mel is wrong here. It's all about perceptions. If any chairman of any club did this the very first thought is 'undermine' and 'interference' 

I think he does now.

54 minutes ago, ColonelBlimp said:

Yep, maybe the Coach (whoever that may be) should go walking in to Board meetings and start telling the Board and their associated stakeholders how to go about their business.

See how that goes down.

4 hours ago, steve brummie said:

If anyone wants to know the merits of having an intelligent and well run forum they could do a lot worse than go through the comments and posts contained in these 26 pages.

I am impressed that Mel agreed to hold the session at a such a critical time for the club and himself in particular.

This website is 'unofficial' and therefore independent of club control. It has a unique function as a critical friend. It is great that Mel recognises this and obviously takes notice of the grass roots opinions expressed.

The guest list seems to have been well thought out to represent a good cross section of opinions resulting in a productive morning all round.

Maybe.

I'd estimate this forum represents approx 2% of Derby fans so not sure it'd be seen as a critical friend. More PR perhaps.

6 hours ago, RamNut said:

transfers - has it really been established that PC wanted Carson, Pearce, Baird, Bent, and Weimann before he'd even met our players? Or were these 5 down to chris Evans? Or schteve? Or who? I find it very hard to understand this phase of transfer activity or to believe that it was driven by a coach who had only just arrived from spain. 

the recruitment team was supposedly intended to inform transfer policy? So how can the failings be solely down the head coach?

why sign three players as requested in january and then sack the coach  2 weeks later? Especially if he was as bad as is now being suggested?

crackers.

Ramnut, my take on it was that the club will run in it's way and the succession of coaches are all intended to be of similar mindset. Those players were signed before Mel took over the club, and were approved by PC, BUT perhaps with PC thinking he wouldn't be getting the level of financial support he ended up with. 

I cannot understand why this is such a big deal, managers inherit players all the time. You could now say that all of these players were bought before Darren Wassall so therefore he has an excuse to be unable to coach them properly?!?!

3 hours ago, Bris Vegas said:

Give me a heads up the next time one one of these are arranged @Daveo

While I obviously won't be able to attend (you may not want me to either!), I would like to throw in a couple of questions which could be passed on.

You were mentioned Bris, especially when Mel mentioned the strengths of the Spanish league compared to England.

2 hours ago, Wolfie20 said:

To say that no player was brought in without Clements' agreement hardly fills me with the feeling that he really WANTED these players in the first instance.

When a guy is appointed as manager or coach, the success or failure of that club is seen, rightly or wrongly, as being down to him so shouldn't he be given ultimate responsibility for the incomings and outgoings on the playing side? Yes, Clement may have agreed to these signings but perhaps that was his weakness - he wasn't strong enough to say NO, or worse still, he didn't know the type of player(s) that were needed to strengthen what was already a good squad by Championship standards. For example, If he really wanted Camara, his use of him since his transfer, particularly given our dreadful run of form, was bizare in the extreme and must have left the poor guy wondering why he had been brought to Derby in the first place!

We finished last season with a good squad - yes we collapsed near the end due to a number of factors,  but all that was needed was one, perhaps two players of real quality to take us forward. What has happened since then reminds me of what Spurs did when they had the Bale cash - they went for quantity rather than quality, resulting in many of those signings leaving the club at significant losses. Serious injuries to Will, Craig & Fozzy meant replacements were required but isn't that what the loan system was for?

Going forward, whether it's under Wassall or someone else, I think the club needs an urgent review of its' transfer policy and considers if how we currently operate is actually the best way of recruiting what's required.

agree with a lot of this , hence my 'Deadwood' thread ..

http://dcfcfans.uk/topic/21585-deadwood/?page=1

7 hours ago, RamNut said:

Just asking questions mate.

No problem. I meant what I said, it wasn't a typical Eddie throwaway remark. It is clear that you have more unanswered questions, and consequently you ought to have the same opportunity that I had.

34 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I cannot understand why this is such a big deal, managers inherit players all the time. You could now say that all of these players were bought before Darren Wassall so therefore he has an excuse to be unable to coach them properly?!?!

Its fundamental mostyn. We can hardly blame PC for a bloated squad if half the transfers were effectively arranged with next to no input from hin. Wouldn't you think that the club might actually be interested in the new coach's assessment of his existing players before we sign 5 - 7 new players!  (Ince 3 days later and shackell not long after that). 

If the deals had been set up with schteve's input, wouldn't they then scrap them since schteve had gone.

more likely they were chris evans's.....in which case don't blame PC  for weimann, or not selecting weimann or bent etc etc.

its about how much we respect the opinion and input of the head coach in this set up.

Tim Evershed
Published at 12:01AM, February 15 2016

Derby coach bans chairman from dressing room

Darren Wassall, who has been given the role of Derby County head coach until the end of the season, has told Mel Morris, the chairman, to stay out of the dressing room and leave football to him.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/sport/football/article4690460.ece

..........and there was me thinking that the chairman had seen the error of his ways after spending ten minutes with Mostyn! :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, ColonelBlimp said:

He didn't go in to undermine the manager, the manager was part of the collective group that the rent was aimed at.

Whether he was wrong or not is subjective. I personally think he was but understand the reasons behind it now they've been explained. 

So it's  all Clements fault. He never really bought into the Derby way. And we still don't know the actual truth behind our disastrous transfer policy. 

And we were duped into thinking that PC, one of the most sought after coaches in the game, is actually poo and we should have stuck with Steve. 

1 hour ago, scarboroughwa said:

Yep, maybe the Coach (whoever that may be) should go walking in to Board meetings and start telling the Board and their associated stakeholders how to go about their business.

See how that goes down.

You seem to overlook a critical business concept.. it's called the chain of command.

Archived