Fulham v Derby County

Chris Mills

1 hour ago, Kernow said:

With PC saying Bent and Weimann will be involved, I'd probably go with this (presuming we stick with 4-3-3)

Carson

Christie Keogh Shackell Olsson

Thorne (although he may need a rest)

Butterfield Hendrick

Ince Martin Weimann

Bench: Grant, Baird, Warnock, Bryson, Johnson, Blackman, Bent

This is pretty much a copy of what failed to create a shot on goal versus Preston. All you've done is swap olsson for Warnock and weimann for Blackman. Much bigger and braver formation and/or personnel changes required in the final third I'm afraid.

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Carson
                   Thorne
           Butterfield Bryson
Weimann                         Johnson
                   Martin

Grant, Baird, Hendrick, Russell, Ince, Bent, Blackman

Perhaps harsh on Camara and Warnock losing their place on the bench, but Baird can cover the back 4 and Camara hasn't looked the part so far. I'd really like to see Johnson and Weimann play in familiar positions for once - let's see what they can do!

OR

Carson
                   Thorne
           Butterfield Hendrick
                  Bryson
            Martin Weimann

Grant, Baird, Johnson, Russell, Ince, Bent, Blackman

Go back to the narrow diamond, the formation he intended to play to begin with - we have the players to suit it now at least. His possession based tactics might just not work in a 4-3-3 as well as they do in a narrow diamond.

I'd be tempted to go 4 -1 - 3 - 2 where the 3 are Ince in between Bryson and hendrick/Johnson/Butterfield (choose one) with Blackman and bent up top. Bent and Blackman will stretch the defence and poach and connect on crosses. Ince plays central where he's at his best, while Bryson and one of the others wreaks creative havoc in attacking midfield. You could even play Johnson on the left of midfield where he had most success at Norwich. 

14 minutes ago, Ninos said:

I'd be tempted to go 4 -1 - 3 - 2 where the 3 are Ince in between Bryson and hendrick/Johnson/Butterfield (choose one) with Blackman and bent up top. Bent and Blackman will stretch the defence and poach and connect on crosses. Ince plays central where he's at his best, while Bryson and one of the others wreaks creative havoc in attacking midfield. You could even play Johnson on the left of midfield where he had most success at Norwich. 

Sounds good to me.

39 minutes ago, Ninos said:

This is pretty much a copy of what failed to create a shot on goal versus Preston. All you've done is swap olsson for Warnock and weimann for Blackman. Much bigger and braver formation and/or personnel changes required in the final third I'm afraid.

And a formation change will guarantee a result? We had chances against Preston we just didn't get any on target. Yes all I've done is change 2 players. We need a slight tweak to get a result we don't need to tear up everything we've done this season and start fresh, I'm afraid.

I would start with this:

..........................................Carson.............................................

Christie.............Keogh........................Shackell...............Ollson

........................................Thorne..............................................

.......................Butterfield....................Bryson...........................

.........Ince.........................Martin..........................Weimann....

Ollson may not be as strong as Warnock defensively but Weimann  is very good and fast at getting back. Could work on the left.

Whilst I have no great sympathy for PC in respect of his team selection/formation dilemmas, as this is after all his prime responsibility, I feel we should all have some appreciation of the difficulties.  

Based not only on this thread, but also a couple of others I have just caught up on, the only players "we" can all agree on are Carson and Thorne - with just a couple of dissenters re. Shackell because his passing is the standard of a Championship centre back ?

If he were to consult "us" it would seem we would offer 3 names, and then say pick the other 8 from 19 'out of a hat'.

Carson

Shackell    Keogh

Christie                                              Olsson

Thorne

Butters                                    Johnson

Ince

Martin              Bent

6 minutes ago, rayram said:

Does anyone think Bent and Martin up front together would work?

No, both are strikers that rely on service and don't actively search for the ball. Partnerships work with one doing the hardwork and one finishing the chances, like Watford with Ighalo and Deeney.

For what it's worth I'd go with;

Carson

Christie   Keogh  Shackell   Olsson

Thorne

Hendrick               Butterfield 

Ince

Martin                  Blackman

Subs

Baird, Warnock, Bent, Johnson, Bryson, Weimann, Grant.

Ince needs a performance, or he can take a break from the team. Would probably have Baird instead of Christie but don't want to change both full backs at the same time?!

I like Johnny Russell but I think Clement will leave him out this weekend especially after saying that Bent & Weimann will be in the squad?!

Archived