Where do we go from here?

CheltenhamRam

We're at the crossroads for the season whereby we can cross the rubicon and drift away to a meaningless season per last year or dig in. 

I'm missing the honest endeavour of Ward, Hughes, Bucko, Bryson and Fossy at the moment and feel a bit disconnected from the likes of Johnson, Baird and Butterfield (although he's been tidy). 

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, CheltenhamRam said:

We're at the crossroads for the season whereby we can cross the rubicon and drift away to a meaningless season per last year or dig in. 

I'm missing the honest endeavour of Ward, Hughes, Bucko, Bryson and Fossy at the moment and feel a bit disconnected from the likes of Johnson, Baird and Butterfield (although he's been tidy). 

Bucko , Bryson, Hughes and Fozzy are pretty unreplaceable at this level.

I like Butters and Johnno for instance, but they're not as good as Bryso and Hughsey.. 

I disagree. I think it's been clear to see Johnson and Butterfield are good players, the problem we have is we don't know where to play them. 

Butters won POTY playing in the hole, Johnson won POTY wide left. We're making them play as deep lying playmakers currently, never going to work. 

Not sure why the OP has a dog at Baird? He hasn't done too bad when called upon.

As much as I like the old guard, they're completely responsible for the collapse last year. No hiding from that, bottle jobs. 

19 hours ago, CheltenhamRam said:

I know that this will not be popular but what you are actually saying is that you 'miss the honest endeavour' of players that Clough brought to the club when we had little money to spend.  I know Clough never got us to 1st or 2nd in the League but McClaren did with a team of largely Clough men. He just focused them more on attacking football unlike Clough but they were still basic give it all 110% type players. 

How many of those type of players were in the Team yesterday - not many.

The players that have been bought are, or at least should be, more skilful than the '110% ers' but yesterday I expected us the beat Birmingham and to beat them well. I expected to see a 'reaction' from the dismal Reading display but the concerning thing for me is that it was not there. There was little improvement but no intensity to our play. No movement off the ball it was all so pedestrian, predictable and yes boring.

Maybe this team would do better in the Premiership but in the Championship you certainly do need some of those 110% ers, just look at the Birmingham team !!!

Stop tinkering with the formation

stop fannying around at the back

stop throwing the ball in our own net

full backs start supporting the wingers......and vice versa

Improve the final ball.....and bust a gut to get on the end of it

Work harder, up the tempo, and press when we lose possession

Get a bit nasty if we have to.

Take the fkn gloves off......literally and metaphorically.

11 minutes ago, RamNut said:

Stop tinkering with the formation

stop fannying around at the back

stop throwing the ball in our own net

full backs start supporting the wingers......and vice versa

Improve the final ball.....and bust a gut to get on the end of it

Work harder, up the tempo, and press when we lose possession

Get a bit nasty if we have to.

Take the fkn gloves off......literally and metaphorically.

The team need to offer themselves for the ball when we are in possession. Too often do we only have 1 player looking for the ball when we have it at anyone time. I've  noticed for weeks now that our side when in our own half rarely see more than 1 face looking for the ball all the other players are running away from it. 

Limited out balls lead to passing about with it in our own half, drawing the opposition on to us. It's playground stuff from players who know better. 

We need someone to take responsibility out there and not allow others to hide when the shnit hits the fan. STAND UP AND BE COUNTED.... GET INTO EM, FCK EM UP. 

Lets get nasty. 

You can see how disinterested this current lot are at throw ins. No movement. Nobody wants the ball. All just stood about expecting someone else to do it. 

Errors occur in football. People make mistakes because they are human. It's frustrating, but it happens. 

Being on 20k a week, in front of 33k hard working fans, and not giving 100%...thats ******* unforgivable, and if it takes a few 'half fans' to boo or walk out early, to make them realise it's unforgivable, then good. 

I agree with the OP but would go further. I have become massively disillusioned with the new crop and I find it a chore to stand there at times. For all the grief Ince gets for throwing his arms in the air, at least he tries. At least he puts the effort in and tries to make something happen. If I was on the pitch with people that weren't trying, I wouldn't just be throwing my fists in the air. 

Absolute disgrace and the question is what do we do? Throw more money at more mercenaries? Bring back Ravanelli? Savage?

I think part of it is down to not playing people in their preferred positions.

I wouldn't mind seeing PC have a look at reverting back to the 442 diamond he seemed so fond of in pre season.

Would still allow full backs to bomb on, would have Thorne holding, Johnson playing his favoured left side position, butterfield on the right (or even at tip of diamond depending on form), then it allows ince to play central.

Then a combination of 2 of Martin, Blackman, Bent and Weimann up top, again depending on form and how physical or slow etc the oppositions CB pairing are.

I miss that 13/14 side more and more by the day. Can you look at many of the team now and say they've been an improvement on what we had then? I think only Carson and Ince get a place, and even though Shackell is a better defender, we miss Buxton's distribution so much. 

Aye, we could do with someone out there that ain't scared to yell oi, up your fackin' game to certain people, I read whoever is captain isn't that important well I beg to differ, I think we need a bit of a leader with the armband, somebody that's as quick to dish out a well done as well as a bollocking.

Archived